G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Turning right causes a strange metal-popping sound and slight shudder

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 02:11 PM
accidentalyinma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Turning right causes a strange metal-popping sound and slight shudder

Hello all,

It has been a while since I have posted here.

Last night, when I was pulling out the car from a parking spot, I was turning the steering right and felt a slight obstruction, and heard a metallic popping sound. I am 90% sure it was the front-right.

The best way to describe this experience would be to imagine how your wheel would act if there was a medium-sized stone under the front-right tire, and you were turning the wheels. There would a be a slight, almost minimal obstruction coupled with a metallic clang, momentary shudder.

I thought it was just the ice in the lot. However, as I was meandering around the lot, I kept on hearing the sound when I would turn right, accompanied with a momentary obstruction and a slight shudder. It would only happen while turning right, and while straightening the wheels back.

My first thought was, that perhaps it could be a CV joint? Or, worse yet, the rack and pinion system? However, how is that even possible when the car is gently drive; I obsessively avoid bad roads, and have only put on 40000 miles in the last four years. Just a week ago, I had the oil changed at the Infiniti dealership, nothing came up in inspection. BTW, this is a 2012 G37xS coupe.

What do you guys think it could be? I had the car towed to Infiniti as I couldn't risk it as the metallic-clang sound was scary.

Thank you in advance for all the input; worried since the car is at ~42k, and I don't think this is covered by the 60k drivetrain warranty.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:43 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Bumper to bumper is still 48 months, 60K miles, no?

Impossible to tell without examining your car. Things it could possibly be: strut, control arm, steering rack, wheel bearing, inner or outer tie rod, brakes, etc., etc. Or anything else that's located in the front right of your car.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:20 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Same thing was happening to me about 3 months ago and it ended up being my power steering rack and pinion when out on me! Get it checked out quick before yours does too it is a crazy expensive fix we're talking over two grand at a dealership. I bought a used one for $750 online and paid $250 for installation and then 2 weeks later my power steering pump went on me and that costed me another $400. Trust me don't ignore it like I didn't get it checked out before it happens