Sponsored By:

Im looking for an Exhaust for my G37

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 01:07 PM
Scalar009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been lurking around the forums until i finally decided to join

I have read many threads on exhausts and seen countless youtube videos but i still cant decide on which one to get

So far i only got my eyes on the Tanabe touring axle back which is 700$

I dont want to spend more than 800$ so its already pushing it,

Youtube videos make it hard to make justice,

How much louder is the tanabe compared to stock? Obiously i want to be heard as thats the purpose of putting another exhaust

Any ideas ? Advice? I just want a deep sound, wish i could make it sound like an AMG C63 haha
Old 01-17-2016, 01:29 PM
xnick101
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Just get the Topspeed axleback, sounds exactly the same and its only $300
Old 01-17-2016, 01:31 PM
JM Auto Racing
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Are you only looking for an axleback?
Old 01-17-2016, 02:17 PM
timc00k

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
TopSpeed Bevel Tips exhaust
Old 01-17-2016, 03:44 PM
kimmspeed
Premier Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Scalar009
I've been lurking around the forums until i finally decided to join

I have read many threads on exhausts and seen countless youtube videos but i still cant decide on which one to get

So far i only got my eyes on the Tanabe touring axle back which is 700$

I dont want to spend more than 800$ so its already pushing it,

Youtube videos make it hard to make justice,

How much louder is the tanabe compared to stock? Obiously i want to be heard as thats the purpose of putting another exhaust

Any ideas ? Advice? I just want a deep sound, wish i could make it sound like an AMG C63 haha
You're looking for sound and not performance. So, that opens up more options for you.

You are going to be limited for under $800. As far as the sound, you'll be the best judge. I am rather opinionated on the subject and will do my best to forego my bias here. You should try to hear them all in person in order to best know what result you might achieve.

The following are all my opinion:
The Tanabe is a reasonable option for the G. But, not much of an improvement. For the Sedan, it will get you closer to the Coupe sound. For the coupe, I hear a little more raspiness. But, I wouldn't spend $800 to get the sound they produce.

TopSpeed may be your best bet in the under $500 range. Above this range you also have Megan Racing Axle Back Exhaust (~$650), GReddy (~$800), Invidia Gemini Exhaust (~$900), HKS (~$600-$1000).

Upmarket you'd be expecting over $1000. Not likely for what you are looking. Takeda ($1000+), MXP ($1100), ARK Grip ($1400-1800)

At the other end of the spectrum would be the exhausts that sound more like the c63 amg. Those would be more like full cat back, titanium exhausts like those from gthaus. They run nearer $4000. There are nice stainless steel options that run considerably less. But, don't quite have the 'racing' exhaust notes. They are still D4MN good though. Armytrix (~$3000), etc.

Axle back is going to keep you closer to your price range. But, a full cat back system will produce a richer sound like you mentioned. You can always work your way backwards and start with axle back now. Pick up pipes and cats later.

Just some thoughts to help you explore your options. My suggestion is to hear them in person when you can. Find out what you like and save up for them. No need spending $700 now for something that is just acceptable if you can wait three-four months and get exactly what you want.
The following users liked this post:
Rich11G37xS (08-16-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 04:41 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
What about the OEM Sports exhaust? I have one for sale in the OEM parts forum.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:46 PM
Scalar009

So i got the tanabes and i like how they sound but they are just too quiet

What can I do to be heard !?

My main factors is that i dont want it to sound like a fartcan and avoid drone as much as possible in the cabin
Old 01-30-2016, 08:45 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 257 Likes on 229 Posts
Go Fast intentions. Pick up a used cat back since your looking to spend $700. You'll enjoy it thoroughly
Old 01-31-2016, 12:21 AM
kimmspeed
Premier Member

Pick up some high flow cats. They take it farther.

I had a pair of V1 HFCs installed today. Word of caution, demonbolt. I didn't even attempt to do the installation. One of the six bolts on the cats took the guys an hour and forty minutes, two broken 14mm sockets, 24" extention, breaker bar and a torch.

I picked up the HFCs used on the classifieds here. Well worth the little I paid and solid connection made.
Attached Thumbnails Im looking for an Exhaust for my G37-img_20160130_094201.jpg  

Last edited by kimmspeed; 01-31-2016 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:10 PM
VaderK52

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm bumping my head over ark vs fi exhaust...I'm thinking Ark since I wouldn't have to wait and it cost less...any guys on here that have experienced both? If so which did you like better? My main thing is that I don't want drone but louder than stock. Would do Tanabe axle back but don't like my rusty looking mid pipe lol. Invidia also has my eye...decisions!
Old 01-31-2016, 10:57 PM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by VaderK52
I'm bumping my head over ark vs fi exhaust...I'm thinking Ark since I wouldn't have to wait and it cost less...any guys on here that have experienced both? If so which did you like better? My main thing is that I don't want drone but louder than stock. Would do Tanabe axle back but don't like my rusty looking mid pipe lol. Invidia also has my eye...decisions!
Bear in mind, that almost everyone who has reviewed the Ark exhaust has commented on how low the muffler cans sit.

Might not be such an issue if your car is to remain stock height. But lowered, might be an issue.

Also, almost every time I have seen a used Ark Exhaust for sale, the bottom of the mufflers are scratched/scraped and sometimes even need repair.
VaderK52 (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 12:16 AM
kimmspeed
Premier Member

Originally Posted by VaderK52
There are many members here, that I respect, that have the Ark system. I'm sure there's a great reason why. I too was interested in the Ark after a supplier here offered a great price. So, I looked for some here in Houston.

Two people offered to let me have a listen. I was courteous and polite all the while cringing at the sound. One complained that they were "a bit low". Another suggested that they would change a few things, but overall liked it a lot. I thanked them and crossed the Ark off my list. Have a listen for yourself. My description won't be as accurate as your own ears. Much like my advice on Tanabe fell short of convincing OP they weren't for what he was looking.

I haven't heard the fast intentions in person. But, I'm sure you should if you're interested. They sound nice as far as I can tell from the videos.

I am personally in a holding pattern with regard to exhaust. I'll be picking up gthaus when the time is right. In my opinion they are the superior sounding system for the price. I am quite pleased for the time being with the top speed pro 1 axle back with v1 HFCs. Does all the right things for a third of the price. Sound borders on exotic. 2500-3250 rpms are a bit too loud for my taste. But, quiet at idle, sensational at start up, great between 3500 and 7000, grumble and pop like the best.

As for the "rusty looking mid pipe", I am concealing mine with the Top Secret diffuser in about a week. A diffuser may do the trick for you too. Or, as you'd suggested get a full system and throw the rusty pipes in storage.

Best of luck. Don't be hasty. You may love the Ark. You might want to wait for the FI. Or, you may come, as I did to a new conclusion. Keep us posted.
VaderK52 (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 12:43 AM
dalton91

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
+1 on what Kimmspeed posted -- I also have Z1 HFC and just installed and removed the TopSpeed axle back for these same reasons -- The sound borders on exotic but at 2500-3250 rpms are a bit too loud for my taste (and more importantly - my wife, happy wife=more $$$ to spend lol). It was quiet at idle and cruise with your foot out of it, sensational at start up, great between 3500 and 7000, grumble and pop like the best... outside = awesome sound!!!! Inside was just too much for long distance trips! Here is my video so you can compare... BTW-- absolutely no complaints on fit or finish.... well worth the money!!

Old 07-11-2016, 04:30 PM
jonmarsh93

[QUOTE=dalton91;3990849]+1 on what Kimmspeed posted -- I also have Z1 HFC and just installed and removed the TopSpeed axle back for these same reasons -- The sound borders on exotic but at 2500-3250 rpms are a bit too loud for my taste (and more importantly - my wife, happy wife=more $$$ to spend lol). It was quiet at idle and cruise with your foot out of it, sensational at start up, great between 3500 and 7000, grumble and pop like the best... outside = awesome sound!!!! Inside was just too much for long distance trips! Here is my video so you can compare... BTW-- absolutely no complaints on fit or finish.... well worth the money!!

Would the result be the same at 2500rpm if you don't have hfc? Looking at getting this axle back
Old 07-11-2016, 06:26 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
i have an oem sports exhaust 4 sale. like new. pickup in cali

Quick Reply: Im looking for an Exhaust for my G37