G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hit and run, how much will this cost me to get fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 12:00 AM
sho423
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hit and run, how much will this cost me to get fixed?

So I woke up this morning to find my freshly 1 week bought G37 ran into. I asked my neighbor about it and she denied she did anything. I just moved to this neighborhood like a month ago and this is the luck I have. Anyone know how much this is going to cost me? I don't really want to claim it on insurance because I don't want it to go up since I'm already paying $200 a month for it. I was going to take it to the infinity dealership tomorrow to get a quote but should I take it to dent repair shop instead? Or any other recommendations? Thanks

Old 12-07-2015, 12:19 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 284 Likes on 238 Posts
You should have uninsured motorist insurance which covers hit and runs like this one. It's no fault, so your insurance premiums will not be affected. You will have to pay your deductible. In many instances, the shop can write the estimate in a generous manner, then you can forgo certain aspects of the work and save some of the deductible. I would call your insurance company and confirm.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:47 AM
EdsNotHere
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Socketz is correct except trying to get the shop to write a "fat" sheet to cover your deductible. That would be insurance fraud and when I see shops doing this I deny the additional. BTW. I work for an insurance company.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:51 AM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
It seems to be only rub marks and no chipped paint. Dentless paint removal should be able to massage it out and just rub the marks off and should be 98% new.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:02 AM
EdsNotHere
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HoldmyMouse
It seems to be only rub marks and no chipped paint. Dentless paint removal should be able to massage it out and just rub the marks off and should be 98% new.
Looks like it's going to need a outer door panel. Can see where it stretched and the intrusion beam push out the door outer panel. Large dent above the beam and smaller dent below the beam.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:29 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 396 Likes on 239 Posts
I am surprised it didnt take the mirror off too. I have to agree with Ed, that door panel will need to be replaced and personally I'd have the car repainted too. That door, once painted, won't match the rest of the car even if they "perfectly match" it. Just a thought, not a 100% necessity though
Old 12-07-2015, 12:51 PM
-SnowMan-

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
I am surprised it didnt take the mirror off too. I have to agree with Ed, that door panel will need to be replaced and personally I'd have the car repainted too. That door, once painted, won't match the rest of the car even if they "perfectly match" it. Just a thought, not a 100% necessity though
The insurance company will never pay for the entire car to get painted. They usually won't even spring for an entire bumper to get painted just blended...

The door skin will be replaced and they shop will need to blend the fender and the rear quarter panel with the new paint. If done properly it'll look fine. Metal is easier to match than plastic.

Im guessing 1700 bucks will be the quote for this?
Old 12-07-2015, 02:10 PM
xxg00w0
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by -SnowMan-
The insurance company will never pay for the entire car to get painted. They usually won't even spring for an entire bumper to get painted just blended...

The door skin will be replaced and they shop will need to blend the fender and the rear quarter panel with the new paint. If done properly it'll look fine. Metal is easier to match than plastic.

$1700 FOR THE DOOR?
Old 12-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
That's probably close. I just had similar damage on a Honda Accord, and the repair is $1,300.. Since it's an Infiniti, I would guess it would be more.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:19 PM
-SnowMan-

Originally Posted by xxg00w0
$1700 FOR THE DOOR?
Uh... Yeah.

It cost me 1400 to get a dent on my fender banged out, have it repainted and have the bumper refinished and repainted.

Paint is NOT cheap.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:08 AM
sho423
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus Christ, I hope not! The paint isn't chipped or anything. Gonna go body shop hopping tomorrow to get some quotes.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:56 AM
-SnowMan-

Originally Posted by sho423
Jesus Christ, I hope not! The paint isn't chipped or anything. Gonna go body shop hopping tomorrow to get some quotes.
Let us know. I really don't think they can buff that out. The door looks creased in many places. It looks like you'll need a new door skin.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:16 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 396 Likes on 239 Posts
I know this. I was thinking more for the future. Blended or not it never really matches. You can really see that in good sunlight. I have seen several cars where you can tell what was replaced. I hope in his case its not so but...idk
Old 12-14-2015, 02:52 AM
Broken Arrow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HoldmyMouse
Forgive the smartass remark, but either my eyes are going bad or we are not viewing he same image. That door skin looks deeply gouged and dead up against the reinforcement directly behind the skin, both facts that make this damage a poor candidate for PDR, even if OP is willing to settle for a half assed job. No PDR tech can work magic if the damage is beyond the scope of that type of repair.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:57 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Broken Arrow
Forgive the smartass remark, but either my eyes are going bad or we are not viewing he same image. That door skin looks deeply gouged and dead up against the reinforcement directly behind the skin, both facts that make this damage a poor candidate for PDR, even if OP is willing to settle for a half assed job. No PDR tech can work magic if the damage is beyond the scope of that type of repair.
I am aware of the reinforcement bar. I am guessing you are not a professional PDR guy and I am definitely not a professional PDR guy so why so firm to rule it out? But if you are a professional PDR guy then good for you. Like I said, it was merely a suggestion since I didn't see any cracked paint or sharp creases.

Quick Reply: Hit and run, how much will this cost me to get fixed?