G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hit and run, how much will this cost me to get fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 03:29 PM
supreme
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
In MD, I had a hit and run. Instead of paying my premium of $500, I only paid $250 for repair. I will take that all day...
Old 12-15-2015, 03:57 PM
-SnowMan-

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Elijah A. Moore
In MD, I had a hit and run. Instead of paying my premium of $500, I only paid $250 for repair. I will take that all day...
Cool story bro.

I imagine your car was no where near as bad as this.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:38 AM
sho423
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright guys, thanks for the responses. So I went shopping around and got a few quotes.. the first one was for about $2,000 and the next one was about $1,500. I wanted to see if my insurance would go up if I made a claim so I called my insurance company(Farmers) and told them what happened and they said that my insurance wouldn't go up and my deductible would be only $250, but I would have to file a police report within 10 days of the incident and send a copy to them too. So since my insurance is going to pay for it, I decided to take it to a collision center at a Nissan dealership over in my city. I'm taking it in after new years because they said they are busy right now and it's the holidays. I'll also be able to get a rental.Here is the estimate that they printed for me.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:40 AM
-SnowMan-

Does that meant I win since I guessed 1700?

Glad you're getting it taken care of!
Old 12-16-2015, 01:50 AM
sho423
Registered Member

Originally Posted by -SnowMan-
Does that meant I win since I guessed 1700?

Glad you're getting it taken care of!
lol, close enough
Old 12-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Varjo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool, glad you got it sorted. Generally this sort of thing can't raise your rates (depends on the state). Be careful though, too many no-fault claims can still make it harder to get comprehensive or colission coverage in the future, so be wary of making a claim for minor things. This roughly $2000 repair is a totally reasonable thing to claim however.

Just make sure that Nissan collision center is legit. I don't always trust dealer body shops. It's worth it to do some online research and find a really competent body shop. Especially since your car is white.

Anyone want to weight on in the possibility of a diminished value claim here as well? Since he has to file a police report, there is a chance for this to end up on the carfax.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:26 PM
-SnowMan-

Originally Posted by Varjo
Cool, glad you got it sorted. Generally this sort of thing can't raise your rates (depends on the state). Be careful though, too many no-fault claims can still make it harder to get comprehensive or colission coverage in the future, so be wary of making a claim for minor things. This roughly $2000 repair is a totally reasonable thing to claim however.

Just make sure that Nissan collision center is legit. I don't always trust dealer body shops. It's worth it to do some online research and find a really competent body shop. Especially since your car is white.

Anyone want to weight on in the possibility of a diminished value claim here as well? Since he has to file a police report, there is a chance for this to end up on the carfax.
I believe it's up to the shop to submit the repair to Carfax. My old car was hit and run, much more minor than OP though. I took the opportunity to get a Euro bumper installed and painted through insurance. It wasn't on my Carfax when I sold the car, nor was it on the Autocheck.

As far as diminished value, I'm not sure if thats applicable here. I've always assumed that was for if someone hits you and you go after THEIR insurance for the diminished value?
Old 12-16-2015, 06:50 PM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by HoldmyMouse
It seems to be only rub marks and no chipped paint. Dentless paint removal should be able to massage it out and just rub the marks off and should be 98% new.

ahahahHAHAHhahahahaahahaa u must be kidding right? massage that out? thats like saying hey let me add some oil into the motor after the rod shot out of the block. that door is done. no dent guy is gonna be able to rub or massage that out. depending on the body shop there 2 ways of fixing that damage. replace the entire door or push the gouge out and smooth out the rest of the surface with body filler. prime, paint, color sand to finish.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:20 AM
supreme
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Cool story bro.

I imagine your car was no where near as bad as this.
damage to the quarter wasn't exactly cheap though.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:47 AM
sho423
Registered Member

I believe it's up to the shop to submit the repair to Carfax. My old car was hit and run, much more minor than OP though. I took the opportunity to get a Euro bumper installed and painted through insurance. It wasn't on my Carfax when I sold the car, nor was it on the Autocheck.

As far as diminished value, I'm not sure if thats applicable here. I've always assumed that was for if someone hits you and you go after THEIR insurance for the diminished value?
I hope that's the case!