Sponsored By:

Winter storage battery questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 12:15 AM
Akashsaroya

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Winter storage battery questions

Hey guys
This is my first winter with the G. I just ordered the ctek 3300. My car will be parked outside under a shed. But there will be one opening for the wind to come in. I live in Canada Calgary. What do I do with the battery? Should I just connect the charger to the battery and turn it on snow mode and leave it on all winter? It's going to get cold out but the snow won't touch my car. I would like to avoid taking the battery out because I don't want to reprogram stuff. Plus I don't know what all I will lose by disconnecting the battery. Any input will be appreciated.
Drive safe
Old 11-22-2015, 01:00 AM
rj8dan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As long as your battery is healthy, there's nothing to worry about. You can leave your ctek on. After it charges, it does trickle charges.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:34 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Akashsaroya
Hey guys
This is my first winter with the G. I just ordered the ctek 3300. My car will be parked outside under a shed. But there will be one opening for the wind to come in. I live in Canada Calgary. What do I do with the battery? Should I just connect the charger to the battery and turn it on snow mode and leave it on all winter? It's going to get cold out but the snow won't touch my car. I would like to avoid taking the battery out because I don't want to reprogram stuff. Plus I don't know what all I will lose by disconnecting the battery. Any input will be appreciated.
Drive safe
Are you the only automobile owner that lives in Calgary?

When do other owners do with their vehicles?
Do most have block heaters?
In my younger days skiing in Vermont most locals had an AC line cord hanging out of the front of their vehicles.
BTW snow won't hurt your vehicle.

It never hurt mine

Name:  2014-02--07MyPictures020714-005_zpsed2f1a06.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  103.3 KB

Telcoman
Old 11-22-2015, 10:04 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts
does it have a "quick connector" you can attach to the battery, like the Battery Tender?

i would just hook it up once a month to charge - no need to let it run 24/7.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:09 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
The G and my S2000 are in the garage with battery tenders on them. I'm like Landshark, I only plug them in once a week or so and once the green light illuminates, I unplug them.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:45 PM
Akashsaroya

Originally Posted by rj8dan
As long as your battery is healthy, there's nothing to worry about. You can leave your ctek on. After it charges, it does trickle charges.
Thank you. That's what I was going to do but needed reassurance lol
Old 11-22-2015, 12:48 PM
Akashsaroya

Originally Posted by telcoman
Are you the only automobile owner that lives in Calgary?

When do other owners do with their vehicles?
Do most have block heaters?
In my younger days skiing in Vermont most locals had an AC line cord hanging out of the front of their vehicles.
BTW snow won't hurt your vehicle.

It never hurt mine

Telcoman
I don't know anyone who is storing their vehicle here. Mine is going to be parked for at least 3-4 months. More knowledge from other people can never hurt.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Akashsaroya

Originally Posted by Landshark
does it have a "quick connector" you can attach to the battery, like the Battery Tender?

i would just hook it up once a month to charge - no need to let it run 24/7.
I'm am not a 100% sure but I think the ctek 3300 turns itself off when the battery is fully charged and then it detects when it needs a charge again. I could be wrong. But I haven't received it yet. Sorry guys this g is my first car. I do read up on this forum alot but couldn't find anything for it being parked outside with a charger on. I'm a g37x noob still learning.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Akashsaroya
I'm am not a 100% sure but I think the ctek 3300 turns itself off when the battery is fully charged and then it detects when it needs a charge again. I could be wrong. But I haven't received it yet. Sorry guys this g is my first car. I do read up on this forum alot but couldn't find anything for it being parked outside with a charger on. I'm a g37x noob still learning.
its probably like the Battery Tender ... it charges up the battery, then when its full it switches to a "float charge".

yes, you *can* leave it connected all the time, but its not necessary. every 2-4 weeks connect it up, when its charged, unplug it. unless you don't have access to the vehicle for extended lengths of time (stored in another city?), theres no need to have it always running.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:17 PM
Akashsaroya

Originally Posted by Landshark
its probably like the Battery Tender ... it charges up the battery, then when its full it switches to a "float charge".

yes, you *can* leave it connected all the time, but its not necessary. every 2-4 weeks connect it up, when its charged, unplug it. unless you don't have access to the vehicle for extended lengths of time (stored in another city?), theres no need to have it always running.
OK I can do that. It will be stored at my gfs house. It's only 15 Min's away. Thanks alot