Sponsored By:

Ugh... Sad Day...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 02:36 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by -SnowMan-
I was under the impression that comprehensive repairs are usually no fault to the owners, like a tree branch falling or a cracked windshield. Wouldn't this count as collision since I swipped the garage?

Also good news, a new fender is only 291 shipped. OEM too. My buddy has a body guy that said to call him for a reasonable paint quote. Hoping to move forward and get it fixed this week or next.
If you hit something like the garage, that's collision. I had a bump in the road take out my cats and rear sub-frame on my 2004 G35. It was $2,500 to repair and it was an at-fault collision because I drove over the kink in the concrete.

Comprehensive is for things that are acts of God and out of your control, like hail, a flood, a sinkhole opening up and swallowing your car, etc.

Good luck with the repair. Was curious why you'd buy a new fender for that dent...? It's not bad at all. That can be massaged out without coughing the dough for a new fender. I had something hit my car on the side while I was going down the road and it creased my right rear fender badly from the impact. No new fender...the shop was able to fix and it was the difference between paying a $900 repair out of pocket and a $3,000+ repair claiming on insurance.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:39 PM
-SnowMan-

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
Good luck with the repair. Was curious why you'd buy a new fender for that dent...? It's not bad at all. That can be massaged out without coughing the dough for a new fender. I had something hit my car on the side while I was going down the road and it creased my right rear fender badly from the impact. No new fender...the shop was able to fix.
You think? What concerns me is the fact that it's on the body line/ edge of the fender. One shop seems to think they can get it out. Their quote was $1092 for bumper and fender repair.

MY friend's recommended shop said it'd be cheaper to just paint a new fender if I supply it. I'm waiting on a paint quote and repair for the bumper from them. A new fender is 291 shipped so if they come in below $800 a new fender can make sense. So I'm looking at all my options before deciding which route to go.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:27 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
That makes sense. Interested to hear how it turns out and what they say on it being repairable. Mine was on an edge of the fender too but they were able to get it done which saved $2k so I was happy.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:15 PM
Rogue_G

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree, I think buying a whole new fender and painted it should come cheaper than $1000. Sucks that we pay so much for insurance but still pins us in the rear end lol
Old 08-19-2015, 01:27 PM
-SnowMan-

Originally Posted by Rogue_G
I agree, I think buying a whole new fender and painted it should come cheaper than $1000. Sucks that we pay so much for insurance but still pins us in the rear end lol
Im not too hung up over it. I've got an emergency fund for a reason. It just blows that because Im 22 my rates suck already and I don't want to make them worse for something so minor.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:31 PM
Rogue_G

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Im not too hung up over it. I've got an emergency fund for a reason. It just blows that because Im 22 my rates suck already and I don't want to make them worse for something so minor.
I hear you man. Although it stings, you are making the smarter move. Just turn it into a positive maybe? Wish it was the side skirts, then you could get IPL lol
Old 08-19-2015, 01:32 PM
-SnowMan-

Originally Posted by Rogue_G
I hear you man. Although it stings, you are making the smarter move. Just turn it into a positive maybe? Wish it was the side skirts, then you could get IPL lol
I looked at just getting an IPL bumper or a 2011 sport bumper but the shipping costs killed that idea fast lol.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:37 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
23 here, hoping that on my next renewal I drop below $200 a month.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:01 PM
-SnowMan-

Originally Posted by Epiphany
Damn. I'm pretty good right now at 147/month
Old 08-20-2015, 08:10 AM
i heart ricers
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
Damn. I'm pretty good right now at 147/month
for once im glad to be old

im half this
Old 08-20-2015, 10:38 AM
-SnowMan-

Originally Posted by i heart ricers
for once im glad to be old

im half this
Hah if I didn't have a nice job I think I'd be driving a civic between fuel costs of the G and insurance.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Broken Arrow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back om topic, I keep hearing about buying a new fender and painting it. A new fender needs to have the inner portion sprayed. That won't be needed if the original fender is repairable. BUT, if you think you will have an acceptably matched paint job without blending into the hood and door, you will be very unhappy with the results. Don't think you can paint a single panel and bounce.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:57 PM
-SnowMan-

Originally Posted by Broken Arrow
Back om topic, I keep hearing about buying a new fender and painting it. A new fender needs to have the inner portion sprayed. That won't be needed if the original fender is repairable. BUT, if you think you will have an acceptably matched paint job without blending into the hood and door, you will be very unhappy with the results. Don't think you can paint a single panel and bounce.
If I go the new fender route the guy is going to paint the inside and blend the paint. Don't worry.

I've done this rodeo before when I had my GTI. Someone had tapped my bumper, headlight and fender in a parking lot and ran. After arguing with Geico I ended up taking the car the local Porsche dealer's body shop and they got me a new fender, new headlight and even swapped on the Euro bumper for me. Then they fought with Geico to pay and got it all settled for me.

I'm gonna get some more quotes next week about repairing the existing fender.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:43 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
I have a similar problem. Noticed passenger-side front fender had a dent that wasn't there before.

This happened back in September and I haven't really gotten around to fixing it.