G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What should I look for when buying a used '12 G37x Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 02:57 PM
mastapro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What should I look for when buying a used '12 G37x Coupe?

Might finally be making the plunge this weekend and getting the g37x coupe. What are things I should look out for before making the purchase? It is a '12 g37x coupe and has about 50,xxx miles on it. The Carfax is extremely clean and looks like the guy did an oil change at Infiniti every 3k miles and there's no reported accidents. I'm not too good with the technical aspects of cars so I'm wondering if there's any questions I should ask or things to look for. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:05 PM
cdmuile

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a '12. Zero issues. Most annoying thing: with the engine running, you have to physically push the door unlock button. Pulling the door handle doesn't do it. Been a really great car!
Old 07-22-2015, 04:41 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by cdmuile
I have a '12. Zero issues. Most annoying thing: with the engine running, you have to physically push the door unlock button. Pulling the door handle doesn't do it. Been a really great car!
Would you rather have some dirtbag run up to you while stopped at a traffic light and pull you out of your vehicle?

That is a safety issue.

Also have a 2012 zero issues

Telcoman
Old 07-22-2015, 09:39 AM
mastapro

I agree with telcoman, that "feature" doesn't bother me. I'm looking more for known defects for this model, such as engine problems, and other issues.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:16 AM
axis.
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
Would you rather have some dirtbag run up to you while stopped at a traffic light and pull you out of your vehicle?

That is a safety issue.

Also have a 2012 zero issues

Telcoman
I think he was referring to how when BMWs and other cars are locked, when you pull the handle from the inside, the door will unlock and the door will open. Pulling the handle from the outside won't do anything when the door is locked.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:45 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Things you have to look for with 2012 G37x Coupe...Well I have a 2012 G37xS Coupe in Red...I would have to say my car has had 0 issues. However you will have to look out for random people saying nice things about your car....I had a car full of beautiful young ladies tell me that my car is hot the other day while parking at the bank! LOL! Even had a cop check out my car and say it was really nice....no ticket though...LOL! Just treat the car nice and you should be ok. I never winter drive mine and I polish it regularly. I find that between polishes you should use Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer...is amazing!
Old 07-22-2015, 01:19 PM
mastapro

Originally Posted by xorbitman
Things you have to look for with 2012 G37x Coupe...Well I have a 2012 G37xS Coupe in Red...I would have to say my car has had 0 issues. However you will have to look out for random people saying nice things about your car....I had a car full of beautiful young ladies tell me that my car is hot the other day while parking at the bank! LOL! Even had a cop check out my car and say it was really nice....no ticket though...LOL! Just treat the car nice and you should be ok. I never winter drive mine and I polish it regularly. I find that between polishes you should use Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer...is amazing!
Haha thanks! I was actually looking for a g37xS coupe but unfortunately it's hard to find and it's just a tiny bit out of my budget. The g37x coupe will do just fine for me though.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:24 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
number one thing, make sure it only has two doors.

other than that you will be fine.. no issues with these cars. got two myself a g37xs and the first model year g35.

Originally Posted by mastapro
Might finally be making the plunge this weekend and getting the g37x coupe. What are things I should look out for before making the purchase? It is a '12 g37x coupe and has about 50,xxx miles on it. The Carfax is extremely clean and looks like the guy did an oil change at Infiniti every 3k miles and there's no reported accidents. I'm not too good with the technical aspects of cars so I'm wondering if there's any questions I should ask or things to look for. Thanks.

Last edited by si_driver; 07-22-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:05 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Check over all the fluids, tire condition, brake condition. Drive it, does it track straight, any weird noises when driving. Take it on the highway, check for the same.

Without pulling engine covers or racking the car, you really won't be able to see much. Pay a trusted mechanic to go over the car. Autocheck/carfax results are useless and marketing gimmick. My old car sustained thousands of dollars in damages that never showed up on a carfax report.

Edit: Sedans are supposedly faster, but that aside, having the utility of the rear seat is often welcome.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:39 PM
mastapro

Originally Posted by si_driver
number one thing, make sure in only has two doors.

other than that you will be fine.. no issues with these cars. got two myself a g37xs and the first model year g35.
Yes it has 2 doors, I love the look of the coupes only
Old 07-22-2015, 02:40 PM
mastapro

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Check over all the fluids, tire condition, brake condition. Drive it, does it track straight, any weird noises when driving. Take it on the highway, check for the same.

Without pulling engine covers or racking the car, you really won't be able to see much. Pay a trusted mechanic to go over the car. Autocheck/carfax results are useless and marketing gimmick. My old car sustained thousands of dollars in damages that never showed up on a carfax report.

Edit: Sedans are supposedly faster, but that aside, having the utility of the rear seat is often welcome.
How do I go about checking the brake condition and the fluids?(This is the first car purchase for me). Also, they run it through an Infiniti inspection because it's an Infiniti dealership so it should be OK... do you think I should still get a mechanic to check it out?
Old 07-22-2015, 03:34 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by mastapro
How do I go about checking the brake condition and the fluids?(This is the first car purchase for me). Also, they run it through an Infiniti inspection because it's an Infiniti dealership so it should be OK... do you think I should still get a mechanic to check it out?
HA! The dealership will do the bare minimum to make the car safe and saleable.

You either take a risk or you borrow the car for a few hours and pay someone you trust to go over it and provide a written report.

50K miles on a '12 is typical if you consider ~12K miles a year. Fluids should of been refreshed at least once by now.