Sponsored By:

Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 01:57 AM
ThebigJ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by clutchfan
Ever heard of Vtak yo? Japanese didn't need turbo because their motors were already hi-reving and efficient.

Turbos is just an easier way to make crappy motors more efficient. I mean look at their reliability.

As far as Japanese being behind, it's more due to Govt regulations and the Europeans were too lazy and just went the turbo route.

It's not like the Japanese couldn't do it. I mean look at the GT-R.

You can read all about it.
Why Ferrari engineers don't like turbos

Oh the good old Vtec and its fans. It revs and it sounds nice but nothing too special compared to other engines in its class.

To be honest if they had 2 choices it would have been great to have 2 liter turbo and v8 NA with AFM.

I think it is the good combination of Direct injection and turbos that result in such success in today's engines. Japanese car makers waited to see if the new technology was reliable and since it seems so they are also making the switch.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:29 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk
And the Japanese are behind in engine technology by quite a bit. Audi's been in the turbo game pretty consistently for about 20yrs. BMW and Benz are relative new comers but they've been there way longer than the Japanese.

Subaru has been putting turbos in cars since like 1980.

despite making the Outback, they are a Japanese company, not Australian.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:28 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
While I personally prefer NA engines there's no denying that boosted engines are superior in terms of power and torque. And according to MT's real world testing they typically within the range of their stated EPA numbers.

Also Subaru hasn't had a turbo in a standard car in quite a bit if memory serves.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:55 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Also Subaru hasn't had a turbo in a standard car in quite a bit if memory serves.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:55 AM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by ThebigJ
Oh the good old Vtec and its fans. It revs and it sounds nice but nothing too special compared to other engines in its class.

To be honest if they had 2 choices it would have been great to have 2 liter turbo and v8 NA with AFM.

I think it is the good combination of Direct injection and turbos that result in such success in today's engines. Japanese car makers waited to see if the new technology was reliable and since it seems so they are also making the switch.
It's still not reliable. Look at the rep BMW and Audi has. And I bet that there would be tons of issues right off the bat. And a few laughs from people here putting cheap 87 octane on their brand new turbos because new engines can "tune itself" to run on cheap fuel.

The big reason for the F.I. PUSH is Government regulations.

And I wouldn't be surprised of some head poncho of a company that manufactures turbos tossed in some bribe money.

There have been plenty of Japanese cars with turbos. Including the iconic Supra, along with the EVO and STI. Mitsubishi is one of the 3 largest manufacturer of Turbos...

Last edited by User 122320; 12-26-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:43 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
I know the STi is turbo'd but everything else to my knowledge is NA. 2.0 liter, 2.5 liter and the 3.6liter. Again, its not a brand that I'm familiar with so please point out which - asking a serious question.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:51 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Originally Posted by clutchfan
It's still not reliable. Look at the rep BMW and Audi has. And I bet that there would be tons of issues right off the bat. And a few laughs from people here putting cheap 87 octane on their brand new turbos because new engines can "tune itself" to run on cheap fuel.

The big reason for the F.I. PUSH is Government regulations.

And I wouldn't be surprised of some head poncho of a company that manufactures turbos tossed in some bribe money.

There have been plenty of Japanese cars with turbos. Including the iconic Supra, along with the EVO and STI. Mitsubishi is one of the 3 largest manufacturer of Turbos...
Other components of the car may fail but honestly I've not yet encountered a failing turbo or component directly related to and engine being forced induction failing.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:57 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

I know the STi is turbo'd but everything else to my knowledge is NA. 2.0 liter, 2.5 liter and the 3.6liter. Again, its not a brand that I'm familiar with so please point out which - asking a serious question.
sorry, couldn't tell if you were referring to stick-shift only, or the whole lineup.

several years ago, they had 6 cars available with a turbo - all except the Tribeca ... Impreza (WRX/STI), Forester & Baja (XT), and Legacy & Outback (GT).

currently, only the WRX, STI, and Forester XT are turbo'd.

how did i forget the Mitsubishi Evo - i have one sitting in my garage. LOL
Mitsubishi has been making them for years - its a solid car.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Sweet Jesus. Get this thread back to discussion of the new Infiniti Q60. Make a different thread about Japanese vs German vs NA vs turbo vs auto vs MT vs what the hell ever. Enough already. Damn. Like or hate the new Q60. Buy it or don't. Stop taking this thread into a thousand different directions that have already been beaten to death. Post your thought about this car and post other crap somewhere else. Thanks.
The following 2 users liked this post by Black Betty:
conkus805 (01-04-2016), InfinitiFreak (12-26-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 04:41 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Ok lets get back on topic or we are gonna close the thread down for a while to chill out.

The Q50 is coming out with a new Drivers Assistance package that will give you Around View Monitor with sonar, Blind Spot Warning, Remote Engine Start, Forward Collision Warning and Memory seats.

This leaves the Deluxe Technology Package ( replaces Delxue touring and technology packages) as the highest package with all the remaining options.

I'm betting that the Q60 will mirror the packages of the Q50 as the 2016 QX50, QX80 (minus premium, premium plus as its standard) and QX60 will have the same packages. With this move, Infiniti is one step closer to having a complete brand image. This will in turn make it easier for the consumer to know what they are buying with out being so confused and set them apart from the competition. The goal for all OEMs to have customers move up in the line up as they out grow their cars and avoid switching brands. Making the packages uniform is the easiest way

That leads me to another topic. The Manual gear box Q60. In the North America, I believe the only package that will be avalible is the Premium and Premium Plus. What the Premium will give you will be Bose 14 Speaker system, moon roof, heated seats and lumbar. The Plus will give you Navigation. I would not be surprised if it is called Sport Premium package.

So if you want a manual transmission, your choices are base or Nav.
The following users liked this post:
InfinitiFreak (12-26-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 06:00 PM
ThebigJ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
And you started with my post. "Shame on you" .

Actually I have a related question to Black Betty, Would you trade in your current car for Q60 coupe given it is very similar to what we have seen so far?
Old 12-26-2015, 06:26 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
referring to the first pic on this thread... the new q looks fugly..
Old 12-26-2015, 06:34 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Hyundai is going to shock the world for 2017.

Last edited by InfinitiFreak; 12-26-2015 at 08:13 PM. Reason: OT
Old 12-26-2015, 08:16 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Sweet Jesus. Get this thread back to discussion of the new Infiniti Q60. Make a different thread about Japanese vs German vs NA vs turbo vs auto vs MT vs what the hell ever. Enough already. Damn. Like or hate the new Q60. Buy it or don't. Stop taking this thread into a thousand different directions that have already been beaten to death. Post your thought about this car and post other crap somewhere else. Thanks.
LOL, glad someone finally said something! If some people here don't like the new Q60, that is totally fine! No car is liked by every person, that is life. Plenty of other cars to buy, so people can go to those forums.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

since there's nothing new about it, i'd really like to see cooled seats and around-view camera in the new Q60.

and aux inputs.

not happy that its growing in size (like EVERY car), but what can you do?

Quick Reply: Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit