G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 11:38 AM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Its confirmed on the Q50, 90% sure it will be in the Q60.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:47 AM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by P Casey
Hey sorry, I've looked but is the 400hp car confirmed 100%. I haven't been following this too much. I've googled it and just read a possible 400hp car, but looking back they also said the same about an eau rouge car that didn't happen.

If it's confirmed, what is the available date?
The 400hp/350tq is only confirmed for the Q50. All we know is that the Q60 will have at least that, wouldn't be surprised if hp/tq is higher. Availability is supposed to be early fall of 2016 as a 2017 I believe. Should get final specs at the unveiling at the Detroit Auto Show in a couple weeks! That will give me more time to save for a bigger down payment!
Old 12-23-2015, 12:52 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by micafd3s
more than eight years ago.. the japanese were.. in the early 90s.. and I will use your term... all in
300ztt.. supratt.. and my beloved rx7tt.. you can go a few years back to hit the 80s.. rx7turbo.. mitsubishi starion..
there are others of course but these come to mind...
Was about to say the same thing... Japanese automakers were producing a lot of turbo engines back in the day- not quite as much power and technology as today, but they certainly know how to make them.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:58 PM
tag824

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
more than eight years ago.. the japanese were.. in the early 90s.. and I will use your term... all in
300ztt.. supratt.. and my beloved rx7tt.. you can go a few years back to hit the 80s.. rx7turbo.. mitsubishi starion..
there are others of course but these come to mind...
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Was about to say the same thing... Japanese automakers were producing a lot of turbo engines back in the day- not quite as much power and technology as today, but they certainly know how to make them.

That's true, but that was also over 20-30 years ago. How many of those engineers you think are still around? Designing a modern FI engine isn't something you just pick up where you left off guys.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:08 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
^ tell me exactly what changed significantly about a forced induction system since then..
ive owned a good number of turbo Japanese cars since the 80s.. up until a recent production mazdaspeed6...
what exactly do you need to pick up aside from management...
this isnt a matter of technology catch up... its a matter of the bottomline for the japanese manufacturers.. profit
Old 12-23-2015, 01:28 PM
tag824

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
^ tell me exactly what changed significantly about a forced induction system since then..
ive owned a good number of turbo Japanese cars since the 80s.. up until a recent production mazdaspeed6...
this isnt a matter of technology catch up... its a matter of the bottomline for the japanese manufacturers.. profit
Ohh I don't know, maybe the use of variable twin-scroll turbos meant to reduce turbo lag unlike the old single setup. The fact that boost is not only controlled mechanically but electronically as well. Turbos being mounted directly to the exhaust manifold instead of further down the exhaust path. Tuning direct injection to make sure you don't get pre-detination due to higher temps of FI. Ensuring your engine block can handle the extra power for far longer sustained amounts of time (unlike old setups) all the while reducing emissions, being fuel efficient and preventing heat soak.

My point is there's a hell of a lot more engineering than just slapping on some turbos and the turbos of today in conjunction with the newer technology of today ain't the same as your daddys turbo setup.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:49 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Subaru has been making turbo'd cars for a long time, and up until a few years ago, did some pretty dumb ****.

tiny filter in a banjo bolt for the turbo oil line ... filter clogs, bye bye turbo.
catted uppipe ... cat crumbles, bye bye turbo.

even the latest WRX owners complain of crappy factory tunes.

ill give the new Q60 a few years to settle in.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Magic Bus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tag824
I wish this happened over 8 years ago, that's when the Germans went all in with turbos. Also gives you an idea how far behind Japanese automakers are. I have some optimism with Infiniti though, they have experience with turbos in the GT-R.

What really kills me are the recent spy pics of the Q60. I thought the concept styling was aggressive, no nonsense, we're not F'n around anymore message from Infiniti. I'm in disbelief how watered down the the Q60 looked in the the spy pics compared to the concept. I'm reserving judgement until the NAIAS reveal in hopes that they may offer a package with more aggressive styling. I'm also worried about the length and weight of this car. If it's longer and heavier than the previous generation that's when I'll walk away. We'll see soon enough...
Length is in inches. Current Q60 is 183.1 long, 71.8 wide, 55.4 high and weighs in at 3,633 lbs for Journey model. 2017 Q60 will be 184.6 long, 73.4 wide & 53.9 high.

Current Q50 is 188.3 long, 71.8 wide & 56.8 high. Weighs in at 3,574 lbs base model and 3,611 for premium model.

While the new engine itself is lighter, the piping for turbos actually make the overall engine weight 19 lbs heavier.

So using the above facts, your guess is as good as mine in regards to the weight of the new Q60. But I'm hoping that it will be less than the current Q60 and come in around 3,550.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:59 PM
ThebigJ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
One thing I hate is why would you have heavy and thick backseats when in a coupe obviously they will not be used much.

I wish the back seats were thinner so that the car would be lighter and the passengers will have some leg room when they use it.

Also why not a hatchback ? This one will be such a hard sell.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:35 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ThebigJ
One thing I hate is why would you have heavy and thick backseats when in a coupe obviously they will not be used much.

I wish the back seats were thinner so that the car would be lighter and the passengers will have some leg room when they use it.

Also why not a hatchback ? This one will be such a hard sell.
Porsche 928 / Toyota Supra style fastback hatch would be awesome.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:35 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by tag824
Ohh I don't know, maybe the use of variable twin-scroll turbos meant to reduce turbo lag unlike the old single setup. The fact that boost is not only controlled mechanically but electronically as well. Turbos being mounted directly to the exhaust manifold instead of further down the exhaust path. Tuning direct injection to make sure you don't get pre-detination due to higher temps of FI. Ensuring your engine block can handle the extra power for far longer sustained amounts of time (unlike old setups) all the while reducing emissions, being fuel efficient and preventing heat soak.

My point is there's a hell of a lot more engineering than just slapping on some turbos and the turbos of today in conjunction with the newer technology of today ain't the same as your daddys turbo setup.

like ive stated.. aside from management.. its still the same system...
the rx7 has had its sequential turbos since the early 90s..
forced air on direct injection is also on the more recent mazdaspeeds since 06..
so my point is.. that your point of the Japanese being far behind.. is imo exaggerated ..
Old 12-24-2015, 07:47 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
Porsche 928 / Toyota Supra style fastback hatch would be awesome.
Nissan would have to build something like this in a different segment than where the Q60 resides for it to sell.
That's where the Z comes in... Or maybe they bring back the SX - one of which was a true fastback coupe in the 90s. Not sure there is enough demand for that at present though.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:40 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
That's where the Z comes in...
i'd have one if it had AWD ....
Old 12-24-2015, 06:54 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
like ive stated.. aside from management.. its still the same system...
the rx7 has had its sequential turbos since the early 90s..
forced air on direct injection is also on the more recent mazdaspeeds since 06..
so my point is.. that your point of the Japanese being far behind.. is imo exaggerated ..
Ahhhh stop it dude. Other than having turbos there's not much in common between todays turbo setup and a twin setups from 20yrs ago. And the Japanese are behind in engine technology by quite a bit. Audi's been in the turbo game pretty consistently for about 20yrs. BMW and Benz are relative new comers but they've been there way longer than the Japanese. Lexus just got their first, Infiniti is borrowing one until they're ready in about 1.5yrs and Acura only has one in a car that none of us will most likely ever own and will only be available about the same time as the Infiniti. Strangely Infiniti did have a super charged option but only on the 4cylinder SUV.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:41 AM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk
Ahhhh stop it dude. Other than having turbos there's not much in common between todays turbo setup and a twin setups from 20yrs ago. And the Japanese are behind in engine technology by quite a bit. Audi's been in the turbo game pretty consistently for about 20yrs. BMW and Benz are relative new comers but they've been there way longer than the Japanese. Lexus just got their first, Infiniti is borrowing one until they're ready in about 1.5yrs and Acura only has one in a car that none of us will most likely ever own and will only be available about the same time as the Infiniti. Strangely Infiniti did have a super charged option but only on the 4cylinder SUV.
Ever heard of Vtak yo? Japanese didn't need turbo because their motors were already hi-reving and efficient.

Turbos is just an easier way to make crappy motors more efficient. I mean look at their reliability.

As far as Japanese being behind, it's more due to Govt regulations and the Europeans were too lazy and just went the turbo route.

It's not like the Japanese couldn't do it. I mean look at the GT-R.

You can read all about it.
Why Ferrari engineers don't like turbos

Quick Reply: Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit