G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 02:44 PM
tag824

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Water cooled intercooler and integrated exhaust manifolds. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 12-16-2015, 03:18 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Here you go, better pics to look at. I hope this isnt the actual finish. Cant be good for heat being all shinny dont you think?

Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit-ekd4utq.jpg
Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit-sqw09ib.jpg
The following users liked this post:
mangoface (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 03:39 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Aint no way that will be the production finish lol. They always make engines look very snazzy at shows.

Since its a VR engine, the setup is very close to the GT-R's setup.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:34 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by InfinitiFreak
Yes it does and it seems that may be part of the reason the wait for the coupe has been so long, was to get this new engine right! They should be able to work out any issues that they find in the sedan before the new Q60 rolls into dealerships.
It's not likely they would use the Q50 as a test bed to iron out any issues they find before it goes into the coupe. There's only a couple months between sedan and coupe availability which is not nearly enough time to be making engineering and design modifications at this stage in the game. Besides...that's what they've been doing for the last few years.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:43 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by tag824
Water cooled intercooler and integrated exhaust manifolds. What could possibly go wrong?
I don't know where you guys get all of your fear, uncertainty and doubt with regard to the new engine platform. Air to water intercoolers and integrated exhaust manifolds are not new technologies.

I seem to remember similar sentiments around the time that the VQ37VHR engine was introduced, with people saying that VVEL would be problematic.

The fact is that Nissan has enjoyed a long history of building solid engines and it's not their first go at building a 3.0L twin turbo V6. With Infiniti being cut from the same cloth, I think this new VR30 platform will serve them well for years to come.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:09 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
It's not likely they would use the Q50 as a test bed to iron out any issues they find before it goes into the coupe. There's only a couple months between sedan and coupe availability which is not nearly enough time to be making engineering and design modifications at this stage in the game. Besides...that's what they've been doing for the last few years.
Very true, but I will be using the issues that may arise in the sedan to decide whether I need to delay my coupe purchase until something is fixed, as I won't be buying as soon as the coupe is available. The sedan is always my guinea pig before I purchase my coupe, so I wait until the sedan has been out a year or so without major issues. Nissan knows how to make a reliable engine, so I am not worried about this new twin turbo, especially since they have experience in the turbo arena, with the GT-R. I will mostly be waiting to purchase until any possible fit and finish issues are corrected, though I had none of those on my 2008, and I purchased as soon as it came out.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:19 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by eljoker
Does anyone else feel like they need a little more plastic to cover the areas around the engine? This is going to be a great motor I forsee. VR series FTW!!!
With all new from the ground up engine and chassis designs, I'm actually very surprised that there aren't plastic shrouds covering most of the exposed parts of the engine bay. Many newer cars have these, particularly in Lexus engine bays. They look very neat. And the covers are very easy to pop off for access to maintenance items. They're not necessary at all, but selling in the luxury segment where the vast majority of buyers don't do their own maintenance and are more likely to be swayed by how components look than practicality, I'd have thought Infiniti would have followed Lexus' lead. Skipping it probably saves them $17 per unit. Like using the paper rear timing cover gaskets!

And much thanks for breaking the news of the press release here for us. Lots of good info.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:58 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
With all new from the ground up engine and chassis designs, I'm actually very surprised that there aren't plastic shrouds covering most of the exposed parts of the engine bay. Many newer cars have these, particularly in Lexus engine bays. They look very neat. And the covers are very easy to pop off for access to maintenance items. They're not necessary at all, but selling in the luxury segment where the vast majority of buyers don't do their own maintenance and are more likely to be swayed by how components look than practicality, I'd have thought Infiniti would have followed Lexus' lead. Skipping it probably saves them $17 per unit. Like using the paper rear timing cover gaskets!

And much thanks for breaking the news of the press release here for us. Lots of good info.
Yes sir, you are welcome.

On the subject of engine covers, they also provide noise suppression. I hope this is a temporary cover or the engine its self is quiter.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:58 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by InfinitiFreak
Very true, but I will be using the issues that may arise in the sedan to decide whether I need to delay my coupe purchase until something is fixed, as I won't be buying as soon as the coupe is available. The sedan is always my guinea pig before I purchase my coupe, so I wait until the sedan has been out a year or so without major issues. Nissan knows how to make a reliable engine, so I am not worried about this new twin turbo, especially since they have experience in the turbo arena, with the GT-R. I will mostly be waiting to purchase until any possible fit and finish issues are corrected, though I had none of those on my 2008, and I purchased as soon as it came out.
^^ I definitely understand your reasoning there. I know there were some issues with InTouch on the Q50 when it first came out. All told, I think these are exciting updates for the Q50 and Q60
Old 12-17-2015, 09:34 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
^^ I definitely understand your reasoning there. I know there were some issues with InTouch on the Q50 when it first came out. All told, I think these are exciting updates for the Q50 and Q60
The coupe needs a 6MT or else I will literally cry my eyes out. If there's no 6MT, theres just no way I can ever accept to buy the car

I will be distraught and depressed if I read the words "7-Speed Automatic Only" for the new Q60.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:02 AM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Yeah I also heard that was the main issue with the bad reviews of the Q50, so they have had 2 years to work out the quirks in the system, so the Q60 should be greatly improved and intuitive! Noticed that they didn't list cooled seats on the new Q50 , hoping it was just missed and that it will be on the Q50 and Q60. Much needed here in the Texas heat,lol!

Last edited by InfinitiFreak; 12-17-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:16 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's and example why you don't buy Infiniti's new tech - because they'll come out with significantly better tech in the new model year.
08 G35 Sedan -> 09 G37 - Upgraded engine and transmission
08 G37 Coupe -> 09 G37 - Upgraded transmission

15 Q50 Sedan -> 16 Q50 - New engine

Looks like its best to just wait a year or two lol
Old 12-17-2015, 10:20 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk
Here's and example why you don't buy Infiniti's new tech - because they'll come out with significantly better tech in the new model year.
08 G35 Sedan -> 09 G37 - Upgraded engine and transmission
08 G37 Coupe -> 09 G37 - Upgraded transmission

15 Q50 Sedan -> 16 Q50 - New engine

If you follow that logic then you would never buy anything, as new and better is always around the corner.

I have owned the following cars all in their first model years. Each vehicle provided at least 10 years/100k miles of reliable service. Except the G37, that's 8k away from 100k miles and not 10 years old yet. I don't anticipate it having any major issues (I have had my oil pressure checked).

1998 Sienna
2000 Xterra
2008 G37

Last edited by 2008G-Man; 12-17-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:53 AM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk

A little bit of a different take from 2008G-Man in the previous post and building off what blackfunk mentioned..

For my last two car purchases, as much as I want 'new new new' I find the practical side of me winning out and waiting until the inevitable MMC (Mid Model Change). Depending on the maker, however it's usually 2-3 years after a new generation of vehicle released. It allows me to see what updates are brought to the table and whether to go for the updates or find a nice deal on the outgoing model year before the MMC.

I've done the first year, new gen dance before with an Accord and although it was put together over in Japan back then...the items and improvements unveiled for the MMC were all things I really wanted. On top of that, the overall build quality was of such that it seemed the assembly lines hit a stride and were putting together a more solid car (increased sound dampening didn't hurt either). Maybe that was all in my head, but it seemed a much more solid coupe that I got into after getting trading in the first year model. It seemed to be consensus over on v6performance at the time though.

Anyway, can't wait to see the VR platform be released in the q50/60 and real world reviews come back.

Not sure if it has been discussed before, but what do people think the chances of getting hydraulic steering in the q60 is? Slim to none per progression with the q50 and it's electronic based one?
Old 12-17-2015, 11:12 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
If you follow that logic then you would never buy anything, as new and better is always around the corner.

I have owned the following cars all in their first model years. Each vehicle provided at least 10 years/100k miles of reliable service. Except the G37, that's 8k away from 100k miles and not 10 years old yet. I don't anticipate it having any major issues (I have had my oil pressure checked).

1998 Sienna
2000 Xterra
2008 G37
No not at all. Infiniti seems to make large scale changes within a year of putting the car on the market. Not good if you're like me and tend to purchase your cars. If you lease it might not be a big deal.

Last three cars I purchased had only minor changes over the entire model life. Nothing related to the powertrain changes that Infiniti does.

Thx

Quick Reply: Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit