Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 02:56 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by serega13
Well they've never had any cars with even hp numbers like 300 and 400 so I doubt they will start doing it now. Also you have your BMWs all wrong as it will compete with the 4 series, not 3 series. And one more thing - IMHO top of the line "red sport" or IPL or whatever Q60 will probably compete with M4 or at least take a slot between 435 and M4.
These engines I was referring to was the Q50. So yes, they do apply for the 3 Series.

Regardless, we all know the 3 series and 4 series is the same sh*t, just more doors or less doors.

And yes, I agree its possible the the Red Sport will be in the middle of the 435i and the M4....which will create problems for BMW
Old 11-17-2015, 02:59 PM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by chilibowl
These engines I was referring to was the Q50. So yes, they do apply for the 3 Series.

Regardless, we all know the 3 series and 4 series is the same sh*t, just more doors or less doors.

And yes, I agree its possible the the Red Sport will be in the middle of the 435i and the M4....which will create problems for BMW

Oh I see, they will probably offer same engines on both Q50 and Q60 then although I would be surprised if they have "red sport" Q50 sedan as they've never had sedan IPL but I guess it's possible.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:04 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by serega13
That's terrible fuel economy, I get 22mpg on a twin turbo G and that's including frequent trips to the track.
it is, but i do all city/suburbs driving. i'd get 22mpg, too, on the highway, but i'm rarely on the highway. my G37 is only slightly better on my commute. full-time AWD on the Evo doesn't help.

... plus i have a heavy foot.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:50 PM
tag824

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chilibowl

Don't underestimate BMW. They vastly underrate their engines. Everyone knows the 335i/435i put out way more hp and torque than advertised. Also, they have very little parasitic loss and can deliver that power quite well to the pavement. It will be interesting indeed.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:53 PM
tag824

Originally Posted by twin_snails
Nice find Chili! I dug into the hybrid specs on the page you listed and it still shows the power as 360hp which is the same as the outgoing 3.5L hybrid. Wonder if they're still using the 3.5L engine.

Nevertheless, I'm over the moon to see the 400hp V6 confirmed. What will be interesting is if both models will have the same turbos, with the lesser V6 simply tuned down.

Also want to see if the 7-speed is a DCT. Time will tell but hopefully those engines are very tunable...a la the 335i. 350 lb-ft of torque is still very respectable and it's 80-ish more than we have with the VQ37, and that torque peak happens at 1,600 rpm which should make them VERY fun to drive.
If Infiniti is matching up the Q60 against the 3/4-series then I doubt it will have DCT. The 3/4-series don't offer DCT, only ///M cars have DCT in the US. Maybe the IPL will get it. Who knows, maybe Infiniti will surprise us all.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:44 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by tag824
If Infiniti is matching up the Q60 against the 3/4-series then I doubt it will have DCT. The 3/4-series don't offer DCT, only ///M cars have DCT in the US. Maybe the IPL will get it. Who knows, maybe Infiniti will surprise us all.
Would love to see it on the Sport model .. The S5s have them so this would offer a competitive alternative.
Interesting though that Lexus does not even offer it on the RC-F.

It may be a situation similar to the current generation coupe- whereas during the 1st year to 2nd year they went from 5AT to 7 AT... not too big a deal... But if in the 1st year f the next generation there is a torque converted auto, then the following year a DCT.. man that will tick some folks off .
Old 11-17-2015, 05:07 PM
tag824

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Would love to see it on the Sport model .. The S5s have them so this would offer a competitive alternative.
Interesting though that Lexus does not even offer it on the RC-F.
That's because the RC-F is a joke. Lexus didn't want to invest in proper research and development. That's how you end up with a new 2015 model that still has a NA V8, a slushbox and is a pig in weight. It's a Frankenstein made out of three different Lexus models that were fused together. Shame on Lexus.

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
It may be a situation similar to the current generation coupe- whereas during the 1st year to 2nd year they went from 5AT to 7 AT... not too big a deal... But if in the 1st year f the next generation there is a torque converted auto, then the following year a DCT.. man that will tick some folks off .
If they don't upgrade the AT to a better AT or DCT it's going to hurt them dearly. The current AT is old tech and too slow to keep up with the competition. I agree with you, I can totally see them starting out with the old AT and then putting in a new one 1-2 years out.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:32 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
I assume there will be a newer 7 speed based on the facts alone that the Eau Rouge couldn't handle the TQ from the VR. Yeah I know thats another 100lbs but that was using the 7 speed from the Q70 which I assume was the Q70 5.6 and that can handle up to 417 lbs. Now will it be just and upgraded version of the 7 speed (new torque converter) or a brand new one idk. But its most certainly a given.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:38 PM
eljoker

Jatco makes this transmission in two versions: JR710E and JR711E. The 710 model is rated for 400 Nm (~295 ft-lbs), and the JR711E is rated for 600 Nm (~443 ft-lbs).

My guess is that Jatco (which is a Nissan subsidiary) will make what ever they use next. Now they might use the Jatco JR712E which is used in the hybrids and has a twin clutch instead of the torque converter, but that might be a stretch.
The following users liked this post:
tag824 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 08:42 PM
eljoker

Just ordered an Irduim Blue Q50 With the Sport Premium package on Graphite. No pricing but I'm better no less than 54k. Will be here in March/April.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:56 PM
tag824

Originally Posted by eljoker
Jatco makes this transmission in two versions: JR710E and JR711E. The 710 model is rated for 400 Nm (~295 ft-lbs), and the JR711E is rated for 600 Nm (~443 ft-lbs).

My guess is that Jatco (which is a Nissan subsidiary) will make what ever they use next. Now they might use the Jatco JR712E which is used in the hybrids and has a twin clutch instead of the torque converter, but that might be a stretch.
The DCT is sourced to Infiniti by MB, right? Looks like the DCT they are using can't handle the torque of the higher output engines. I'm so tired of this detective guess work, lol.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:28 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
This is why they should throw in a 6MT option. If not, at the very least, make it available for special order.

No need for complicated mechanisms and computers to decide when to shift and all that crap.

A manual tranny can handle anything you throw at it. At half the cost of a overly complicated and heavy automatic trans.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:34 PM
eljoker

The only DTC we are using from Benz is for the Q30/QX30. Everything else is nissan/jatco.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:30 AM
ThebigJ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by tag824
That's because the RC-F is a joke. Lexus didn't want to invest in proper research and development. That's how you end up with a new 2015 model that still has a NA V8, a slushbox and is a pig in weight. It's a Frankenstein made out of three different Lexus models that were fused together. Shame on Lexus.

If they don't upgrade the AT to a better AT or DCT it's going to hurt them dearly. The current AT is old tech and too slow to keep up with the competition. I agree with you, I can totally see them starting out with the old AT and then putting in a new one 1-2 years out.
I have to agree both of your comments here. Yes RC-F is just a glorified mustang gt.

And I am also very interested in the AT they will use. I am sorry but 7AT is not adequate for this class nor it is sporty. Reliability is good but it is no longer enough for a vehicle in that class. The 8 speed ZF transmissions are so good and they are the least one should have in such a car.

Switching from 5AT to 7AT was a lame move and we may expect a similar move in this one too.

Since Nissan already has a nice DCT(From GTR) I sincerely wish that they put that at least in the IPL version...
Old 11-18-2015, 08:46 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ThebigJ
I have to agree both of your comments here. Yes RC-F is just a glorified mustang gt.

And I am also very interested in the AT they will use. I am sorry but 7AT is not adequate for this class nor it is sporty. Reliability is good but it is no longer enough for a vehicle in that class. The 8 speed ZF transmissions are so good and they are the least one should have in such a car.

Switching from 5AT to 7AT was a lame move and we may expect a similar move in this one too.

Since Nissan already has a nice DCT(From GTR) I sincerely wish that they put that at least in the IPL version...
Nissan would never use a ZF transmission. Its either Jatco or Borg Warner, and they only use Borg Warner for the GT-R transmission. Nissan is NOT throwing in a dual drive-shaft transmission in a Q.

I am suspecting they will use a much more updated Jatco 7AT from the Q70....and hopefully a much improved 6MT, maybe a Nissan CD010 lol

Quick Reply: Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit