G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 11:02 AM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
There is a good chance that the 3.0 in the NISMO GTR LeMans or what ever they are calling it, is the final testing. Since the next GTR is heavily rumored to be powered by a 3.0TT, I wouldn't be surprised if both the GTR and Q60 share alot in the engine department. I see the VR38 as a test platform and technology lab rat. They could and probably took alot of hat they learned with the VR38 and adopted it into the new 3.0TT. If you use one engine in multiple configurations they can maximize the profit. The GTR and VR38 werent very profitable for Nissan and probably still aren't.

I can see them offering up a Modular engine design that can keep cost down but perform at different levels. What does that mean for us? Well "I got the same engine as the GTR minus a few things, lets go look for mods."

Plus, this could be the reason the Eau Rouge was grounded. It was a Car in the M3/ATS-V/RS4 class hitting and costing in the M5/CTSV/E63 power/price range. But a 3.0tt that is good for 420hp/420lbs still makes for a nice M3 Killer.
The following users liked this post:
gill1606 (08-02-2016)
Old 05-15-2015, 11:10 AM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by eljoker
But a 3.0tt that is good for 420hp/420lbs still makes for a nice M3 Killer.
Have you checked M3 stats lately? They are 425hp\406lbs but very underrated from the factory, in reality they are more in the 450ish hp range.

New Q60 is being made to compete with the 4 series, Infiniti said so themselves, not M3 and M4. Perhaps some sort of performance variant will be made later to compete with M4. I just hope it doesnt suck like IPL.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:17 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
There is a good chance that the 3.0 in the NISMO GTR LeMans or what ever they are calling it, is the final testing. Since the next GTR is heavily rumored to be powered by a 3.0TT, I wouldn't be surprised if both the GTR and Q60 share alot in the engine department. I see the VR38 as a test platform and technology lab rat. They could and probably took alot of hat they learned with the VR38 and adopted it into the new 3.0TT. If you use one engine in multiple configurations they can maximize the profit. The GTR and VR38 werent very profitable for Nissan and probably still aren't.

I can see them offering up a Modular engine design that can keep cost down but perform at different levels. What does that mean for us? Well "I got the same engine as the GTR minus a few things, lets go look for mods."

Plus, this could be the reason the Eau Rouge was grounded. It was a Car in the M3/ATS-V/RS4 class hitting and costing in the M5/CTSV/E63 power/price range. But a 3.0tt that is good for 420hp/420lbs still makes for a nice M3 Killer.
Joker, you're in my mind or something! Lol. You've articulated everything I've been thinking on this. I think the new Q60 is delayed due to the motor and it's probably going to be a variant from the GT-R Nismo LM. It's starting to make sense from too many angles to not be at least somewhat true.

You've offered some great analysis as to why the Eau Rouge was shelved in addition to the VR38 and GT-R not being profitable. I'm sure Carlos Ghosn has been pushing for it to be profitable as well. A TT 3.0L with a very modular architecture seems to be the perfect solution on many fronts, which is exciting for the community. The VR38 has been an excellent platform and I'm hoping that all they've learned is being funneled into the new motor. They've also said that the 3.0L previews a new family of engines which will begin to appear in the next two years. I would rather see them get the engine right while being late to the party as Chili said.

Originally Posted by serega13
Have you checked M3 stats lately? They are 425hp\406lbs but very underrated from the factory, in reality they are more in the 450ish hp range.

New Q60 is being made to compete with the 4 series, Infiniti said so themselves, not M3 and M4. Perhaps some sort of performance variant will be made later to compete with M4. I just hope it doesnt suck like IPL.
I believe I heard that there would be multiple variants of the new motor, specifically at the 450 hp mark, which would put it right on target for competition with the M4.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:22 PM
eljoker

Originally Posted by twin_snails
Joker, you're in my mind or something! Lol. You've articulated everything I've been thinking on this. I think the new Q60 is delayed due to the motor and it's probably going to be a variant from the GT-R Nismo LM. It's starting to make sense from too many angles to not be at least somewhat true.

You've offered some great analysis as to why the Eau Rouge was shelved in addition to the VR38 and GT-R not being profitable. I'm sure Carlos Ghosn has been pushing for it to be profitable as well. A TT 3.0L with a very modular architecture seems to be the perfect solution on many fronts, which is exciting for the community. The VR38 has been an excellent platform and I'm hoping that all they've learned is being funneled into the new motor. They've also said that the 3.0L previews a new family of engines which will begin to appear in the next two years. I would rather see them get the engine right while being late to the party as Chili said.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:40 PM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
I believe I heard that there would be multiple variants of the new motor, specifically at the 450 hp mark, which would put it right on target for competition with the M4.
The 400-450hp was a quote from some magazine, not Infiniti or Nissan. I think new Q60 when it comes out will have 380-400 ponies. 450 might be some IPL or whatever variant and it will not be avaibale for a few years. This is just how they do business.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:02 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
The GTR and VR38 werent very profitable for Nissan and probably still aren't.
Where do you get this information from? The GTR is the most profitable car (per unit) in Nissan's lineup today. They never really started from scratch with it.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:19 PM
eljoker

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Where do you get this information from? The GTR is the most profitable car (per unit) in Nissan's lineup today. They never really started from scratch with it.
When it first came out at $70,000, Im sure Nissan wasn't making boat loads of money on it. Yeah the price has gone up but for a manufacture to make a vehicle that does not share its major components with anything else in the line up and don't expect it to be a cash cow. Exclusive hand build engine, one off trans axle, special carbon brakes, advance awd system, advanced suspension, modified platform, ect.

Things might have changed now but every articulate you read regarding the Eau Rouge that talked about price always talked about how expensive it was to use the VR38 since it was a hand built engine. If I remember right, at first there were only 10 guys that could build the power plant.

At the end of the day, if you cant spread the cost to produce a product over you whole line up, your not making much on bottom end to support it. Nissam/Infiniti are still in to for profit 1st and for most. They dont go to work every day to build cars that us fans want, the build the ones that they need to make more $$$ every year.

They might make money on GTRs now, idk, I dont do their books. But they aren't making the same as the G,Z,QX80,QX60,Q50,Maxima,Altima are per unit on a GTR. No way. Less than 10k GTRs in the US since 08, almost 40k Zs from 09-12. Just saying.

But like I said, this is me speculating.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:38 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
^^ They've invested considerable resources into the ongoing R&D into the R35 with the continual improvements they're making. Time on the Nordschleife isn't cheap, but who knows...they might be profitable now since they're closing in on 10,000 units sold.

If the R35 is profitable now, it took a long time to get there with only one model to amortize the cost of R&D against.

The one area with the GT-R Nismo LM that I'm not too happy to see is the FWD packaging. I've never been a fan of transversely mounted engines. The LM Nismo is also rumored to be a hybrid, with electric motors possibly picking up for the rear wheels. It would allow them to save a considerable amount of weight without the complicated AWD transaxle packaging.

It's still all speculation at this point, but I think there are some hints that we can glean from the information they have released thus far. I think the development on the LM Nismo will trickle down to the rest of the Nissan/Infiniti product line and probably spells the future for what their hybrid offerings will be.

The current setup in the Q70/Q50 hybrid is not going to get them where they need to be with the more stringent fuel economy regulations that are being handed down. It's certainly not doing any favors for curb weight. Nevertheless, it's going to be interesting.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:09 AM
eljoker

^^ They've invested considerable resources into the ongoing R&D into the R35 with the continual improvements they're making. Time on the Nordschleife isn't cheap, but who knows...they might be profitable now since they're closing in on 10,000 units sold.

If the R35 is profitable now, it took a long time to get there with only one model to amortize the cost of R&D against.

The one area with the GT-R Nismo LM that I'm not too happy to see is the FWD packaging. I've never been a fan of transversely mounted engines. The LM Nismo is also rumored to be a hybrid, with electric motors possibly picking up for the rear wheels. It would allow them to save a considerable amount of weight without the complicated AWD transaxle packaging.

It's still all speculation at this point, but I think there are some hints that we can glean from the information they have released thus far. I think the development on the LM Nismo will trickle down to the rest of the Nissan/Infiniti product line and probably spells the future for what their hybrid offerings will be.

The current setup in the Q70/Q50 hybrid is not going to get them where they need to be with the more stringent fuel economy regulations that are being handed down. It's certainly not doing any favors for curb weight. Nevertheless, it's going to be interesting.
I think the new GTR will continue to use the Modified FM Platfrom. So RWD/AWD will still be the case. They could go the route of the Q50/Q70 or adopt a "NSX" style system where they have motors on one set of axles. Who knows for sure. The LM NISMO is more about testing the tech and being different in the LM series. I dont think they would do a complete platform overhaul for the next gen GTR.

Any ways have you guys driven the Q50 Hybrid 2015? I got on one the other day and it surprised the crap out of me. I mean I sell these things for a living but for some reason the 15 felt quicker and tighter than the 14s. Maybe Ive been driving my maxima too long but I was legit .
Old 05-17-2015, 07:07 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Any ways have you guys driven the Q50 Hybrid 2015? I got on one the other day and it surprised the crap out of me. I mean I sell these things for a living but for some reason the 15 felt quicker and tighter than the 14s. Maybe Ive been driving my maxima too long but I was legit .
How can that be? Tuned differently?
Old 05-18-2015, 09:20 AM
eljoker

Originally Posted by clutchfan
How can that be? Tuned differently?
Idk man, but the steering for example, the DAS was set to Sport which is Heavy and Quick, the Q50 was super tight. They must be calibrated differently between 14 & 15, it was noticeable. The acceleration felt better too, like it had more low end. Im waiting for one of the loner 14 hybrids to come back and them im going to go do some butt dyno tests. I have to do something to keep me entertained, no new product, crappy weather and construction make for a slow day at work sometimes.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:31 PM
tag824

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Think I may have missed something... what's all this talk about the Q60 being delayed? Is it no longer going into production end of the year and available in spring 2016?
Old 05-18-2015, 03:57 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by tag824
Think I may have missed something... what's all this talk about the Q60 being delayed? Is it no longer going into production end of the year and available in spring 2016?
It was initially going to be released this year I believe, but it got pushed back to next year, 2016.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:09 PM
tag824

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by InfinitiFreak
It was initially going to be released this year I believe, but it got pushed back to next year, 2016.
Any indication of what quarter next year?
Old 05-18-2015, 04:19 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by tag824
Any indication of what quarter next year?
I have no specific information on that, but I would expect a spring/fall release, as Infiniti usually releases during that time.

Quick Reply: Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit