G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 04:44 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
I watched an interview a LONG time ago when the Chief Design man said himself out of his own mouth "a manual is coming"

I swear to god if Infiniti doesnt bolt up the 6MT that is expected in the next Nissan Z, to the new Q60, I will set fire to an entire dealership!
Old 04-15-2015, 04:52 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
Haha, I remember that one. Where the guy said, "you get the sense that the air enjoyed itself as it went through the car." Has to be the funniest thing I've heard someone say when commenting on design. But yeah, they'd be foolish not to offer a 6MT and kudos that one is on the way.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:14 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
I wouldn't jump to conclusions on only auto, only DAS, no turbo, or what ever "negative" you think. We still have alot of time before we get any more information that will stick. Remember, Infiniti & Nissan doesn't leak as much info like the other brands. Look at the Maxima, they showed the sports sedan concept then BAM, it was in a super bowl commercial. But they didn't give any info until almost a month later and then still waited until New York to give every detail. And its stated to be on show rooms in May/June.

Look at the CT6, Caddy leaked or had info leaked before it was revealed. Almost all of it.

What I am saying is Infiniti, for better or for worse (worse for us, the 1%) tries their hardest to keep information from leaking.

Now a pipe dream of mine is this. How bad *** would it be if Infiniti launched a commercial debuting the Q60 IPL in response to this? And said something like "Where dey at doe?"
"Challenge excepted!"
"Tag your it."
"Your move."
"F what?"

Old 04-15-2015, 05:54 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Yes, Nissan/Infiniti play their cards remarkably close to the vest. They're a lot like Apple in that regard in maintaining extraordinarily tight control over information with regard to future products. That definitely helps control the narrative. A mildly suggestive hint here or there is all we get. Loose lips sink ships as the saying goes.

The whole thing with Caddy and the CT6 is interesting but not in a good way. I would almost characterize the "near complete leak of details" prior to the actual reveal as Cadillac having to convince and cajole people that they're relevant and still have it. It kind of smacks of a lack of confidence because those leaks, while newsworthy, seem like a thinly veiled attempt at keeping themselves in the news.

Personally, I feel that the vacuum of information and the fact that leaks are nearly non-existent are a better builder of anticipation than blowing your wad of specs way before the launch. With the latter philosophy, the launch response is meh, we already knew everything and the excitement very damped down. It's akin to knowing what you're getting for Christmas way before hand. Nissan/Infiniti have the element of surprise down quite well IMHO.

I tend to prefer companies that get all their crap together, leak nothing and then present with a huge bang. It shows that they don't have to leak information like a sieve and they're completely confident in the product they're presenting.

My .02 FWIW.

Nice drifting on those RC cars! But yeah, I'd like to see an Infiniti response to that commercial.
The following users liked this post:
chilibowl (04-16-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 06:06 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
^^ No bias involved. I call it like I see it and the way I see it is that the Genesis coupe has nothing original design wise.

Infiniti is reported to be using the hydraulic system from the G37 for the 2016 Q50. Even with the Q50, it was an option. Simple solution is don't get that option. I doubt they would make it mandatory, but as we get closer to the launch, they'll solidify the facts. Until then it's all speculation, but I'd rather see it have good old hydraulic steering.

That's your opinion and I respect that, but why you'd buy cars that you deem to be without soul is beyond me.
DAS was not a standalone option. It was thrown in if you wanted the 360 degree camera. If DAS was a standalone option, then, yeah, it wouldn't be an issue.

And thank God I didn't buy the Qsh1tty. It's leased. lol

Why did I lease a car without a soul. Will, unlike some people here, I actually own and drove the car before discovering it was soulless. You can't say something is "soulless" just by looking at it.

You have to experience it. And I can tell you, under all the so-called "high tech crap". Car is no fun to drive.

It might be perfect for those soccer moms though.

Last edited by User 122320; 04-15-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:45 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

The point is that DAS is not mandatory.

Sure I can. When I look at a Genesis coupe I can tell right off the bat if the car possesses soul from a design perspective. If a car doesn't look appealing to me, it won't even be considered for a test drive.

Many people here can ascertain rather quickly in a test drive, whether they like the driving dynamics of a car. The personality of the engineering becomes apparent there. Obviously, it had enough to get you in the door, drive it and lease/take ownership.

Soul encompasses all aspects of a vehicle and is not defined by a single component like driving dynamics.

I'ma leave it at that. No point going any further.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:46 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
Yes, Nissan/Infiniti play their cards remarkably close to the vest. They're a lot like Apple in that regard in maintaining extraordinarily tight control over information with regard to future products. That definitely helps control the narrative. A mildly suggestive hint here or there is all we get. Loose lips sink ships as the saying goes.

The whole thing with Caddy and the CT6 is interesting but not in a good way. I would almost characterize the "near complete leak of details" prior to the actual reveal as Cadillac having to convince and cajole people that they're relevant and still have it. It kind of smacks of a lack of confidence because those leaks, while newsworthy, seem like a thinly veiled attempt at keeping themselves in the news.

Personally, I feel that the vacuum of information and the fact that leaks are nearly non-existent are a better builder of anticipation than blowing your wad of specs way before the launch. With the latter philosophy, the launch response is meh, we already knew everything and the excitement very damped down. It's akin to knowing what you're getting for Christmas way before hand. Nissan/Infiniti have the element of surprise down quite well IMHO.

I tend to prefer companies that get all their crap together, leak nothing and then present with a huge bang. It shows that they don't have to leak information like a sieve and they're completely confident in the product they're presenting.

My .02 FWIW.

Nice drifting on those RC cars! But yeah, I'd like to see an Infiniti response to that commercial.
100% absolutely true.

Your words...can be directly attributed to the release of the Acura NSX and the Ford GT at the Detroit Auto Show.

Honda spoke for years and years and years since like 2009 about how the NSX was coming...pictures leaked....blah blah blah....."NSX Caught on Fire" ....some more renders...some more pictures....an entire website devoted to this NSX that "was coming" .

Then the Detroit Auto Show came....and they revealed the "NSX". It was basically the same as all the pictures we had already seen!

Then Ford....came out of left field...and dropped a BOMB on Acura....the Ford GT.....

The Ford GT wiped its a.ss with the NSX and stole the entire show, all because Ford had not said ONE PEEP about ANYTHING GT. People were completely blown away.

The element of surprise has much more BOOM when you dont speak of the eggs the chicken is going to lay.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:31 AM
Danmangto

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by clutchfan
Same car, same mods, different transmission. And no one really cares about the speed .035 second difference according to magazines articles. Real life everyday driving, you don't see a difference in "speed".

But fun factor hands down, manual wins.
Really? tell that to the People at the drag strip about not caring about the speed, whether you win by an inch or 50 feet, a win is a win, LOL!
Driving a manual is not fun up in northern NJ in a reg commute. Rather have the auto.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:34 AM
Danmangto

Originally Posted by cdmuile
Form follows function! I just traded my beautiful Genny GT for my beautiful G37x. The GT was definitely a true sports car. The G37 more entry level luxury. Never under estimate Hyundai's ability to compete with the big boys. They have very, very deep pockets. Think shipping containers. Autos were almost an after thought. look out Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Caddy. Watch Genesis and Equus very closely. They're almost there. A little suspension tuning and refinement in the next 2 years will give them the edge. Need I add the $$$ advantage?
Still no All Wheel Drive on the Hyundai Genesis coupe... makes it very crappy to drive in the snow...
Old 04-18-2015, 12:35 AM
Danmangto

Originally Posted by WillCo1
GT-R has a Dual Clutch Transmission.

Big difference from a regular slush box automatic.

I would be happy with a DCT in the new Q60. Would even love it in stop and go traffic.
The GT-R is still not a manual shift.. it's automatic, regardless of Dual clutch.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:37 AM
Danmangto

Originally Posted by serega13
Two things, GTR is not built on FM platform, it's based on premium midship (PM) platform.

Second, you can't sell a car in Europe if it's not diesel and 6MT so obvisouly they had to do it to sell cars there. In the states 6MT is like 5% of sales.
The GT-R platform is still derived from the FM platform, it's modified.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:36 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 396 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Danmangto
Really? tell that to the People at the drag strip about not caring about the speed, whether you win by an inch or 50 feet, a win is a win, LOL!
Driving a manual is not fun up in northern NJ in a reg commute. Rather have the auto.
I used to live in Northern Jersey and the commuting there is not that bad. If you said LA I'd probably agree. Although, for the fun factor, many would still choose manual. Hell I lived in LA for a bit too and did a trans swap on my last car to manual. As far as the drag strip that is a difference. But for a lot of people that are not dragging, manual is still gonna be the choice for fun factor.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:01 PM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
The GT-R is still not a manual shift.. it's automatic, regardless of Dual clutch.
Did I say the GT-R was a traditional manual shifting vehicle?

No.

We all know the GT-R only has 2 pedals - brake and acceleration, and a gear selector and gear shifting paddles.

The difference is in the type of transmission. The GT-R has a Dual Clutch "Automatic" Transmission. Only "automatic" because the cars computer shifts the manual gears.

Not a traditional power sapping slush box automatic. There is no torque converter involved.

That is the difference.

But thanks for pointing out what we already know.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:58 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
We're not buying a track car. We're buying a street car. Northern NJ Commute? LOL

SoCAL has one of the worst traffic in America. I had zero problems driving a manual.

I have a auto now and I can tell you it's no fun in traffic. It's so boring I either almost fall asleep or driving like an idiot staring at my phone.

Auto vs Manual. Same car, same specs.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Back on topic please. The manual vs auto debate has been done to death. Dozens of times. If anyone's got anything on the Q60 concept post it up. Save the rest for another thread.
The following 3 users liked this post by Black Betty:
2008G-Man (04-19-2015), InfinitiFreak (04-19-2015), KAHBOOM (04-18-2015)

Quick Reply: Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit