Sponsored By:

Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 06:20 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 176 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by clutchfan
It's more like the Q60 ripped off the 2013 Genesis Coupe.

Nissan just flipped the rear window, and made the headlights a little thinner.

The gen coupe rear window scooped down. While the Q60 scooped upward. Same with the front grill. Nissan just flipped it.

I'm failing to see the Q60 rip off of the Genesis coupe as you've outlined. Bit of a stretch I think. Also, what chillibowl said.

The following users liked this post:
chilibowl (04-09-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 09:47 PM
cdmuile

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by InfinitiFreak
Hyundai always copies everyone, but they seem to copy Infiniti a lot! At end of day, I will always buy the Infiniti, as we all know, the original is always better. Now, bring on the new Q60, because I am saving up my money!
Form follows function! I just traded my beautiful Genny GT for my beautiful G37x. The GT was definitely a true sports car. The G37 more entry level luxury. Never under estimate Hyundai's ability to compete with the big boys. They have very, very deep pockets. Think shipping containers. Autos were almost an after thought. look out Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Caddy. Watch Genesis and Equus very closely. They're almost there. A little suspension tuning and refinement in the next 2 years will give them the edge. Need I add the $$$ advantage?
Old 04-09-2015, 01:01 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by cdmuile
Form follows function! I just traded my beautiful Genny GT for my beautiful G37x. The GT was definitely a true sports car. The G37 more entry level luxury. Never under estimate Hyundai's ability to compete with the big boys. They have very, very deep pockets. Think shipping containers. Autos were almost an after thought. look out Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Caddy. Watch Genesis and Equus very closely. They're almost there. A little suspension tuning and refinement in the next 2 years will give them the edge. Need I add the $$$ advantage?
Congrats on the new G37X! Coupe or sedan?

They can definitely compete in the cost department, but I don't think they're quite there in terms of refinement and driving dynamics. Also BMW, Mercedes, and Audi have exceptionally strong brand image and people are exceptionally loyal to those brands. People that have bought BMW or Mercedes for 20-30 years won't be switching to the Genesis or Equus, even as far as they've come over the years. I'm all for seeing them come along and refining their cars and I've seen the Genesis sedan and Equus before and done a double take.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:15 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
Congrats on the new G37X! Coupe or sedan?

They can definitely compete in the cost department, but I don't think they're quite there in terms of refinement and driving dynamics. Also BMW, Mercedes, and Audi have exceptionally strong brand image and people are exceptionally loyal to those brands. People that have bought BMW or Mercedes for 20-30 years won't be switching to the Genesis or Equus, even as far as they've come over the years. I'm all for seeing them come along and refining their cars and I've seen the Genesis sedan and Equus before and done a double take.
My fiancee has a 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T ... Absolutely ZERO problems, amazing reliability, for 2.5 years straight btw. We just put gas in the thing and it fires up everyday without fail. Everything works flawlessly.

Handles? Absolutely. Steering feel? Definitely good. Where you see the biggest differences though is road noise and feel (ride quality), throttle response (duh, turbo compared to a NA V6), and interior quality.

Regardless, we are comparing a 25,000 car to a 45,000 car. Obviously, its no G. Regardless, even an optioned out 3.8L V6 Genesis Coupe which could reach 38-40K.....its STILL no G.

Give Hyundai just one more generation and they will be knocking on every single competitors front door. Hyundai is not joking and their enhancements and improvements are DRASTIC each and every generation.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:19 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
I think they need to rethink styling strategies though. I think they took a HUGE leap backwards in coupe styling from the initial to the refresh. I think the refresh looks cheap and frankly ugly. With that said, the Genesis sedan is gorgeous and has gone in the right direction with its refresh. Although, I am noticing a little copying there as well...kinda looks like a sexy version of the Ford Fusion from certain angles..check it

2014 Fusion Energy

2015 Genesis

Very similar imo
Old 04-09-2015, 03:21 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by chilibowl
My fiancee has a 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T ... Absolutely ZERO problems, amazing reliability, for 2.5 years straight btw. We just put gas in the thing and it fires up everyday without fail. Everything works flawlessly.

Handles? Absolutely. Steering feel? Definitely good. Where you see the biggest differences though is road noise and feel (ride quality), throttle response (duh, turbo compared to a NA V6), and interior quality.

Regardless, we are comparing a 25,000 car to a 45,000 car. Obviously, its no G. Regardless, even an optioned out 3.8L V6 Genesis Coupe which could reach 38-40K.....its STILL no G.

Give Hyundai just one more generation and they will be knocking on every single competitors front door. Hyundai is not joking and their enhancements and improvements are DRASTIC each and every generation.
I haven't driven one in a few years but I agree that they're coming along. They've got deep pockets and increasing market share which will attract even better engineers. One of my friends has a newer Hyundai SUV and it's nice and rides quite well.

I have quite a sporty preference for driving dynamics and even the G sedan wasn't there where I wanted it to be before I started with suspension mods. Coming out of a G35 coupe into a sedan makes for a rather pedestrian feel. But it's getting to be on par with where my G coupe was, which is good.

Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
I think they need to rethink styling strategies though. I think they took a HUGE leap backwards in coupe styling from the initial to the refresh. I think the refresh looks cheap and frankly ugly. With that said, the Genesis sedan is gorgeous and has gone in the right direction with its refresh. Although, I am noticing a little copying there as well...kinda looks like a sexy version of the Ford Fusion from certain angles..check it

2014 Fusion Energy

2015 Genesis

Very similar imo
I see the similarity to the Fusion but there isn't anything that stands out to be as a blatant rip on the Genesis sedan, which is good. And it is a good looking vehicle. On the rear trunk lid where it creases to meet the rear of the vehicle, I thought BMW 5 series because the chamfer is similar.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
This would be funny as hell if it weren't so sad. C'mon Hyundai, you make good cars now. Try making one all on your own for a change.

This remind you of anything?
Report: Hyundai To Launch Performance Line With Twin-Turbo Genesis Coupe
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (04-09-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 04:57 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

^^ I think the problem is that this proposed car lacks soul and passion. It's an ape off of other stuff that's already out there. The Z, GT-R, G/Q have a rather storied and soulful heritage...but not so much for this car.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Every car has 4 wheels, an engine, doors, etc. Every car can be said to be derivative of something to a larger or smaller degree. Hyundai isn't even embarrassed to do their best to make their cars as much like a competitor's as possible. I can't name a single model that has any original styling or its own soul. Now that their cars are very good, maybe that's the next step is to hire a good chief designer. Just steal one from another manufacturer like everybody else.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:01 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Every car has 4 wheels, an engine, doors, etc. Every car can be said to be derivative of something to a larger or smaller degree.
That is true. The above photo you posted is just oozing with, "Well, Infiniti just showed the Q60 Concept so we'd better fire up our 3D software package and crank out a rendering so we can say we're going to have that too."

I guess that is one of the things I love about Infiniti...is that they're not a "me too" manufacturer and they refuse to capitulate to trends that many manufacturers steal and latch on to. When Audi kicked off that LED strips in the headlights design element, so many manufacturers just glommed a strip of em in the mid cycle refresh, and it showed. Ever since, that whole thing has really given me a disdain for strips of individual LEDs in headlights.

Not so with Infiniti...they sat down, developed and designed a headlamp for the Q50 that was uniquely Infiniti with a "light bar" or continuous unbroken light path. They managed to stay unique without coming across as aping another manufacturers design language. It takes a lot of effort to produce designs that are unique (and don't elicit thoughts of "I see this model or brand in this design element") but true to your soul, especially in the vast sea of sameness where Hyundai seems to have no problem sailing.

Oh well, just my .02
Old 04-13-2015, 10:26 PM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Hyundai really needs to come out with a luxury/performance line of cars that have another name other than Hyundai.

There will always be the stigma attached to driving a Hyundai.

Sorry but it's true.

And I do agree that Hyundai has come a long way in improving their automobiles, and their reputation.

But what does everyone say in regards to a car like the Genesis? "It's nice, but why would I pay so much for a Hyundai?"
Old 04-14-2015, 09:07 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by WillCo1
Hyundai really needs to come out with a luxury/performance line of cars that have another name other than Hyundai.

There will always be the stigma attached to driving a Hyundai.

Sorry but it's true.

And I do agree that Hyundai has come a long way in improving their automobiles, and their reputation.

But what does everyone say in regards to a car like the Genesis? "It's nice, but why would I pay so much for a Hyundai?"
It really is true. Their perfomance/luxury brand needs to be a whole new entity.
Hyundai makes great cars...but something about saying I drive a "Hyundai" just doesnt sit right with my soul lmao.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Randy Johnson
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
Not to mention...the Genesis was introduced in 09 for '10 models. Essentially 2 years AFTER the Infiniti coupe which the Genesis is almost identical in shape. So who really copied who?

Man that Gen Coupe looks great!!!
Old 04-15-2015, 07:00 AM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
I'm failing to see the Q60 rip off of the Genesis coupe as you've outlined. Bit of a stretch I think. Also, what chillibowl said.
Maybe cuz your a lil biased? Look at all the other cars the Gen is supposed to look like. LOL

So it looks like a Q60, a Ford and some other car?

Anyways, why lets stick back to the topic on the Q60. Seeing that it's an automatic, I will probably just get a 2015 Q60.

Also, the new design just like my current Q50 is also "soulless". Especially with the remote control steering. Which the Q60 is also suppose to have. Complete fail.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:38 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

^^ No bias involved. I call it like I see it and the way I see it is that the Genesis coupe has nothing original design wise.

Infiniti is reported to be using the hydraulic system from the G37 for the 2016 Q50. Even with the Q50, it was an option. Simple solution is don't get that option. I doubt they would make it mandatory, but as we get closer to the launch, they'll solidify the facts. Until then it's all speculation, but I'd rather see it have good old hydraulic steering.

That's your opinion and I respect that, but why you'd buy cars that you deem to be without soul is beyond me.

Quick Reply: Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit