Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 05:56 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
This thread is amusing
The following 2 users liked this post by P Casey:
eljoker (09-27-2016), ThebigJ (09-28-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 06:05 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts
The Camaro isn't going for the luxury trim that the Q60 is aiming for, it's a pure sport car. If you jump from a 45K Camaro to a 53K Q60 you are adding considerable luxury to your ride.

I am not saying that the 7AT is on par with the shifting speed of an equally efficient DCT, I am saying that it is transferring the VR engines 400 HP well enough where its numbers are comparable to an expensive DCT BMW. Basically saying that the 7AT may not be as quick as that DCT, but its no lost cause either. And its nice that Infiniti added an extra tranny cooler to maintain reliability, some M3 drivers had to add one aftermarket.

All in all I think Infiniti should have pushed for a DCT lol, but that would have upped the price tag as well. So they went with their best auto to do the job. And the popular market doesn't want 6MT's anymore, so that wasn't a route Infiniti was willing to take either.

Last edited by gill1606; 09-27-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:32 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Well, if the transmission is anything like the 2014 Q50. I will tell you that you are not going to be happy. The transmission gets confused sometimes.

Those "test numbers" the magazine printed out are impressive yes. But real world experience will give you a better idea.

Regarding the "confused" transmission, let's say you're on the highway and want to pass someone, you floor it and the car goes nowhere. lol It just bogs. Several people are complaining about that on the Q50 forum.

There is nothing wrong with the transmission, it just does that sometimes. Most automatics do. Basically, the car just doesn't down-shift sometimes.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:49 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by P Casey
This thread is amusing
Yes it is......yes it is.....
Old 09-27-2016, 08:59 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Interesting marketing/advertising story about Infiniti's new approach.
Infiniti works to hone its ?entrepreneurial? positioning | Analysis | Campaign Asia
Old 09-27-2016, 09:01 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by clutchfan
Well, if the transmission is anything like the 2014 Q50. I will tell you that you are not going to be happy. The transmission gets confused sometimes.

Those "test numbers" the magazine printed out are impressive yes. But real world experience will give you a better idea.

Regarding the "confused" transmission, let's say you're on the highway and want to pass someone, you floor it and the car goes nowhere. lol It just bogs. Several people are complaining about that on the Q50 forum.

There is nothing wrong with the transmission, it just does that sometimes. Most automatics do. Basically, the car just doesn't down-shift sometimes.
I'm one of those folks who has no real issues with the 7AT. Yes, I wish it would engage more quickly when using the paddle shifters but that's about it. When I floor it to pass a car on the highway, I often feel it drops too many gears and doesn't ride the midrange torque hp enough. I've never had it bog, not once. To me, that sounds like a software issue.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:28 PM
sdwilly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gill1606
The Camaro isn't going for the luxury trim that the Q60 is aiming for, it's a pure sport car. If you jump from a 45K Camaro to a 53K Q60 you are adding considerable luxury to your ride.

I am not saying that the 7AT is on par with the shifting speed of an equally efficient DCT, I am saying that it is transferring the VR engines 400 HP well enough where its numbers are comparable to an expensive DCT BMW. Basically saying that the 7AT may not be as quick as that DCT, but its no lost cause either. And its nice that Infiniti added an extra tranny cooler to maintain reliability, some M3 drivers had to add one aftermarket.

All in all I think Infiniti should have pushed for a DCT lol, but that would have upped the price tag as well. So they went with their best auto to do the job. And the popular market doesn't want 6MT's anymore, so that wasn't a route Infiniti was willing to take either.
I'm not sure if that thread from the M boards was as damning about BMW as you think. After reading the whole thing, you had one guy who installed a secondary cooler because he tracks his car constantly and doesn't want to take a cool down lap, and the other it appears had a software problem because the dealership found a update he needed and he never mentioned the problem again. People were commenting about tracking their M's in 107 degree weather without issue. Not sure that it's as big as a problem as you think.

As far as quarter times. You know a second is a life time in the quarter right? I mean if you think a second isn't much, you do know a McLaren 675LT (An actual hyper car), pulls a 10.7, that's barely a second faster than a M4, so I guess why get the McLaren if the M4 is that close right? I mean the Infiniti is only 2 seconds behind, damn that's basically the same.

When you look at quarter also make sure to take a look at their trap speed, that will tell you a lot about the power being put down (675LT has a trap of 133)

I agree with the earlier poster that said the Infiniti is a good jack of all trades car, they made some interesting decisions on the Q60 (I would actually say they went cheap on some areas they shouldn't have), overall it looks like it's going to be a decent car. Not the top of the line but not shabby either. When my dealer gets the RS in I'll be the first in line to give it an extended test drive to see what I think of it.

As for the other poster talking about AWD, I will agree with that, if AWD if a necessity then you aren't going to find much better in the range. New Audi RS5 is coming but I'm hearing 80k for that (470hp is the numbers I'm seeing for it now).

I would have been really happy if Infiniti would have released a IPL version that had 450ish, DCT, and no DAS. Think everyone here would be drooling over that.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:43 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
sdwilly: I would have been really happy if Infiniti would have released a IPL version that had 450ish, DCT, and no DAS. Think everyone here would be drooling over that.

+1
Old 09-27-2016, 09:46 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 239 Posts
if its like the g37 if they do offer an ipl version it would be towards the end of the production run so a couple years from now lol
Old 09-28-2016, 02:30 AM
ThebigJ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by sdwilly

I would have been really happy if Infiniti would have released a IPL version that had 450ish, DCT, and no DAS. Think everyone here would be drooling over that.
+1

Don't forget LSD and Torque vectoring and "cooled seats". It would be an RC-f killer if they can keep it around 60-65K fully loaded.

I am feeling like Nissan is stalling its sport oriented cars and trying to capitalize on luxury and mainstream cars. (GTR is dated and no word on the new Z)

They are focusing on CVT's only (they even put a cvt in an QX60) so their only option for Q60 was the aging 7at I guess.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:03 AM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 239 Posts
Nissan has a significant share in the company that manufactures the cvts. Thats why it will never go away and will probably be found in more Nissan cars
Old 09-28-2016, 03:19 AM
gill1606
Registered Member

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts
So what are we suppose to do now? Infiniti didn't add a DCT designed specifically for the VR. But we did get a 7at that is reliable, although shifting may not be as precise and fast if Nissan used a DCT.

honestly I have no idea how that one guy's DCT tranny failed, BMW has an extensive cooling system for transmission including separate radiators from the main engine radiator plus a water cooler for the engine and transmission oil circuits. But for sure they only have one dedicated tranny cooler in that whole system, while the Infiniti has two.

So I'm not sure why that dude's tranny went limp while tracking his car. A DCT is going to make more heat than a 7AT i presume, more aggressive and faster shifting equals more heat generated, hence the additional radiators in the cooling design.

It's just kind of funny the guy had to go out of his way to install a separate tranny cooler on top of all that cooling system. I've tried to understand their cooling system and I'm still learning.

The Q60 would have kicked serious butt if Nissan wasnt so distracted by digital steering. A DCT developed specifically to augment that VR would have made the Q60 more track aggressive, definitely, but Infiniti is obviously concentrating more on how to make your steering wheel vibrate less when going over a pothole. But for most drivers who are looking for some solid and reliable performance on tap once in a while with luxury, will most likely be satisfied. not everyone buying this car is going to the track, i think majority of drivers just want a solid daily driver with a great design.

And the design is there, compare the profile with its G35 predecessor:

Last edited by gill1606; 09-28-2016 at 03:56 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I saw the Q60 in person yesterday. To me it looks even better in person than in pictures I've seen. And that white color, usually not my favorite, looked amazing to me.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:11 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
The G35 looks better in the side view. Was the designer drunk when he decided 2 add that upside down Genesis arch in the rear quarter window.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:13 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
I think the Hyundia guys was drunk when designing the Genesis coupe.

Less we forget where Infinits styleing comes from.

And what happen to saywut?
Attached Thumbnails Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit-esse.jpg  

Quick Reply: Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit