Sponsored By:

Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 04:03 AM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by eljoker
The reason DAS is getting some much money dumped into it is because of the race for autonomous cars and enhanced safety systems. If any other brand had done this first, their forums would be having the same talk. Wait till 2022 when most Cars FEB. Most are saying it will be standard if not avalible on every car.
All that can be accomplished with Electronic Power Steering. See Tesla for example.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:18 AM
QX4cor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a Q50 RS 400 as a loaner this past week as well. It was mine for about 6hrs while my fx was getting maintenance done. Had a chance to drive the new coupe as well when I returned to the dealership. It was a fun day.

I was very impressed with the RS 400. I drove it in multiple environments, as I took the highway home, and then out into the country on some back roads that I know well. As far as I am concerned, this engine is a beast! Car was very fast, and felt really powerful. Zero to 60 felt extremely quick, and 60 to wherever you want to go will happen in a blink. I felt no turbo-lag at all. As far as the tranny, an upgrade would have been great with the complete overhaul, but I didn't feel it killed the performance. I drove in either Sport or Sport+ all day, and the set-up was very smooth. As for the sedan itself, the car is very nice. Personally, I'm more interested in comfort and luxury in a 4-door over sport and performance, so I would spend my $60k (RS was loaded with just about everything..........aside from DAS, lol) elsewhere, like a Q70 if I were staying within the brand. But for what it is, the car was great. Of course there were the little quirks that Infiniti always seems to have, that bugged me: It's the top of the line "G" and goes for $60k, and still no cooled seats? My fx is a base 2010 and has this option. It's an RS, so why no red calipers? Why the BRIGHT red tail lights, when other models like the Q70 have gone with the darker tint, almost maroon, versions that look so much nicer? Why ANOTHER version of aluminum trim rather than just CF, like the coupe will get? Just little stuff, but all-in-all a nice ride. Biggest disappointment: the exhaust note. While I knew there was no "sport exhaust", I for some reason held out hope that it would sound a little more aggressive than the base models. No luck. Even worse is the piped in sound of the exhaust through the speakers. Flat-out annoying.

Of course driving the coupe was a bit disappointing after the 400. I was most interested in sitting in it though, as I had read how much smaller the interior was than the previous generation. I'm 6'6" about 200lbs, and fit well in the 2011 G37xS I drove for 39 months, so I was very curious. Fit was perfect. Seat all the way back, wheel pushed forward a bit, and I felt right at home. It does "feel" smaller, as the new styling on the door panels and center console, along with the black headliner (a great touch) really give you a "cockpit" feel. I really liked it. As for the ride, I've been out of the coupe for a couple of years, so I can't really say whether it was faster or slower than the G, but it certainly felt smoother. The engine just didn't scream as you approached redline the way I remember the G sounding.

The Q60 RS 400 will be a little rocket, no doubt. I'm in the northeast, so AWD is my deal. For my money and with all things considered, it's the best AWD coupe on the market for under $60k. I mean, the "base" RS, with everything that is included standard and no option packages, for $53k can't be touched IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
InfinitiFreak (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 09:57 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by QX4cor
I had a Q50 RS 400 as a loaner this past week as well. It was mine for about 6hrs while my fx was getting maintenance done. Had a chance to drive the new coupe as well when I returned to the dealership. It was a fun day.

I was very impressed with the RS 400. I drove it in multiple environments, as I took the highway home, and then out into the country on some back roads that I know well. As far as I am concerned, this engine is a beast! Car was very fast, and felt really powerful. Zero to 60 felt extremely quick, and 60 to wherever you want to go will happen in a blink. I felt no turbo-lag at all. As far as the tranny, an upgrade would have been great with the complete overhaul, but I didn't feel it killed the performance. I drove in either Sport or Sport+ all day, and the set-up was very smooth. As for the sedan itself, the car is very nice. Personally, I'm more interested in comfort and luxury in a 4-door over sport and performance, so I would spend my $60k (RS was loaded with just about everything..........aside from DAS, lol) elsewhere, like a Q70 if I were staying within the brand. But for what it is, the car was great. Of course there were the little quirks that Infiniti always seems to have, that bugged me: It's the top of the line "G" and goes for $60k, and still no cooled seats? My fx is a base 2010 and has this option. It's an RS, so why no red calipers? Why the BRIGHT red tail lights, when other models like the Q70 have gone with the darker tint, almost maroon, versions that look so much nicer? Why ANOTHER version of aluminum trim rather than just CF, like the coupe will get? Just little stuff, but all-in-all a nice ride. Biggest disappointment: the exhaust note. While I knew there was no "sport exhaust", I for some reason held out hope that it would sound a little more aggressive than the base models. No luck. Even worse is the piped in sound of the exhaust through the speakers. Flat-out annoying.

Of course driving the coupe was a bit disappointing after the 400. I was most interested in sitting in it though, as I had read how much smaller the interior was than the previous generation. I'm 6'6" about 200lbs, and fit well in the 2011 G37xS I drove for 39 months, so I was very curious. Fit was perfect. Seat all the way back, wheel pushed forward a bit, and I felt right at home. It does "feel" smaller, as the new styling on the door panels and center console, along with the black headliner (a great touch) really give you a "cockpit" feel. I really liked it. As for the ride, I've been out of the coupe for a couple of years, so I can't really say whether it was faster or slower than the G, but it certainly felt smoother. The engine just didn't scream as you approached redline the way I remember the G sounding.

The Q60 RS 400 will be a little rocket, no doubt. I'm in the northeast, so AWD is my deal. For my money and with all things considered, it's the best AWD coupe on the market for under $60k. I mean, the "base" RS, with everything that is included standard and no option packages, for $53k can't be touched IMHO.

Pretty much my same impressions.

Another thing to nitpick is the sound of the engine itself at idle. There is a lot of "chatter" which makes it seem slightly unrefined. You can hear the "chatter" echoing off of near objects and other cars in traffic with the windows down.
The door panels need some dynamat. the loaner has just 1000 miles and the panels buzz with just the slightest bit of bass.

Infotainment Center:
Although it seems improved over the previous year of the Q50, it is still just slightly more laggy than I am used to in my G Coupe.

More driving impressions:
So I turned off "Active Trace Control". With that off I was finally able to produce significant inside wheel spin with relative ease. Apparently the ATC feature is acting as the LSD supplement.

Electric Steering: This version has electric steering and the first test drive as with a car with DAS.
The electric steering is "adjustable" as well. In sport it is nicely weighted. however the steering is quite numb and you cant tell what the wheels are doing at all. It is hard to "feel" where center steering is so it has taken me a while to learn how to drive the car "straight " over uneven roads.
With the G's hydraulic steering you could feel the car start to pull and reign it in early before it went too far.

As i mentioned in another post, the DAS is a VAST improvement over the 1.0 version. And while I still don't really like it, I am thinking it is better than the electric steering in the car I am driving.

In parking lots and tight city streets however this car can be steered with extreme ease. And there is virtually no NVH coming through the steering column.

I am wondering what if any tuning tweaks and enhancements will be done on the Q60.

The Q60 non-sport that I test drove felt like it steered as quickly as the Q50 Red Sport I am driving. So I am wondering if they are more aggressively tuning the coupes.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:03 AM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Pretty much my same impressions.

Another thing to nitpick is the sound of the engine itself at idle. There is a lot of "chatter" which makes it seem slightly unrefined. You can hear the "chatter" echoing off of near objects and other cars in traffic with the windows down.
The door panels need some dynamat. the loaner has just 1000 miles and the panels buzz with just the slightest bit of bass.

Infotainment Center:
Although it seems improved over the previous year of the Q50, it is still just slightly more laggy than I am used to in my G Coupe.

More driving impressions:
So I turned off "Active Trace Control". With that off I was finally able to produce significant inside wheel spin with relative ease. Apparently the ATC feature is acting as the LSD supplement.

Electric Steering: This version has electric steering and the first test drive as with a car with DAS.
The electric steering is "adjustable" as well. In sport it is nicely weighted. however the steering is quite numb and you cant tell what the wheels are doing at all. It is hard to "feel" where center steering is so it has taken me a while to learn how to drive the car "straight " over uneven roads.
With the G's hydraulic steering you could feel the car start to pull and reign it in early before it went too far.

As i mentioned in another post, the DAS is a VAST improvement over the 1.0 version. And while I still don't really like it, I am thinking it is better than the electric steering in the car I am driving.

In parking lots and tight city streets however this car can be steered with extreme ease. And there is virtually no NVH coming through the steering column.

I am wondering what if any tuning tweaks and enhancements will be done on the Q60.

The Q60 non-sport that I test drove felt like it steered as quickly as the Q50 Red Sport I am driving. So I am wondering if they are more aggressively tuning the coupes.
I wouldn't be surprised if the coupes are more aggressively tuned than the sedan as the coupe buyer usually prefers it.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:21 AM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
I asked about the Darker taillights and I was told with the Q50 refresh. Makes sense since the Q50 came out in 13 as a 14 and the Q70 didnt come out till 15 and thats when they introduced them.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:08 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
does anyone know if a IPL version is coming out later? like with the G37?? I sure hope so, it'll help Nissan include more performance upgrades to the car for the performance oriented driver. Even the new rebadged G37 to Q60 got its own IPL version. Is there a convertible version out as well?

Last edited by gill1606; 09-26-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:29 PM
dhhG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gill1606
does anyone know if a IPL version is coming out later? like with the G37?? I sure hope so, it'll help Nissan include more performance upgrades to the car for the performance oriented driver. Even the new rebadged G37 to Q60 got its own IPL version. Is there a convertible version out as well?

Doesn't look like it......

Infiniti Kills Convertible Infiniti kills Q60 Convertible
Old 09-26-2016, 12:31 PM
QX4cor

Originally Posted by gill1606
I would have to assume that with the introduction of the RS 400, we've seen the last of the IPL.

I'm sure a convertible will be along as either an '18 or '19 model.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:33 PM
QX4cor

Originally Posted by dhhG37
Doesn't look like it......

Infiniti Kills Convertible Infiniti kills Q60 Convertible
Well, I stand corrected.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:53 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

That's just too bad. I was expecting a better upgraded RS 400 as an IPL version down the line. Like for the RWD RS 400 they could have added an LSD to it amongst other changes to improve performance. Upgrades for both AWD and RWD RS models

And they killed the convertible! Wow. I've seen quite a few g37/q60 convertibles driving around. I'm sure it would have been popular with this model as well. A 400 HP convertible. That's attractive

Last edited by gill1606; 09-26-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:01 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

I also think the attesa ets AWD although really good and functional should be upgraded with torque vectoring as other manufacturers like Ford are now using it on their sedans as well. Like that new one with 300 something horse power. First it was only for rally cars and some mitsubishis and Subarus, but the competition is catching up now and that attesa ets by itself is getting old.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:04 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
"numb" is a good way to describe DAS. It's like a video game controller. The wii steering wheel for example. Where you just hold it up in the air and turn. lol

Previous Q50 owners describe the car as being "soulless". It's just lacking something.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:10 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

Oh well it is what it is I'm still getting the car, the one I built is 20 bucks below 60K. But I am waiting it out a bit more. Will not be going with DAS though
Old 09-26-2016, 05:25 PM
ThebigJ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Some people here really don't have an idea how much money 60K is. Without options all the competition is below 60K.

For example M340xi would be a better choice than Q50 RS 400. RS is up only 40whp but 340x is 300lbs lighter !!! with higher low end torque and better transmission. End result is just as fast , gives 4 mpg more and drives better.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:16 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

Is 7AT more reliable than Dual clutch transmission? is this why Infiniti is using it on this Q60 model?

Quick Reply: Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit