Sponsored By:

Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:50 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Interestingly however I haven't missed the lack of an LSD. I still can't produce inside wheel spin for more than a split second.
I think it's electronic nannies curtailing power unfortunately.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:10 AM
gill1606
Registered Member

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts
Badass, I like how the blue one is sitting there in the backdrop

Review by Motormouth Canada, warning to nay sayers, he likes the drive by wire system lol
Old 09-25-2016, 02:22 AM
ThebigJ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Kinda yes... I should probably specify that full details of my initial test-drive could probably not be posted via the rules of this forum lol.
At the track- this is not the car you'd want unless modified. Day-to-day on the streets, I think most would be very happy with it.
The more I've driven it over the weekend however, I am feeling like the tranny is holding this engine back from its full potential in addition to the run-flats.
Interestingly however I haven't missed the lack of an LSD. I still can't produce inside wheel spin for more than a split second.
I really hope you test drive and give your opinions on the Q60 RS too (I doubt it will be different since seems like the same platform) since you have given the most info about the vehicle in this topic so far.

It would not surprise me if the ancient 7at is holding the engine back. That transmission is considerably inferior to zf-8 or any new 8 speed autos in Lexus or Chevy's(for the price one would expect DCT of course like the competetion).

Infiniti should stop selling unfinished products and updating along the way.
The following users liked this post:
gill1606 (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 03:43 AM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by gill1606

Review by Motormouth Canada, warning to nay sayers, he likes the drive by wire system lol
2017 Infiniti Q60 Review--STYLE AND POWER VALUE - YouTube
He lost all credibility when he said "DAS on the Q50 was fantastic even thought everyone poo poo'd on it". lol

I mean, c'mon, Infiniti didn't even like it. That's why they revised it and spent 625,000 miles of road testing to get the DAS 2.0 default setting as close to the "conventional steering as possible".

The review went on to say that DAS "gave a lot of feed back to the driver" which is complete BS. There is ZERO road feedback. As DAS removes all road feedback and instead replaces it with a electronically controlled feedback to "mimic" the feeling you are suppose to get with a Hydraulic system.

And the Q60 he test drove wast even equipped with DAS. lol This guy is garbage.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:05 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

Originally Posted by clutchfan
He lost all credibility when he said "DAS on the Q50 was fantastic even thought everyone poo poo'd on it". lol I mean, c'mon, Infiniti didn't even like it. That's why they revised it and spent 625,000 miles of road testing to get the DAS 2.0 default setting as close to the "conventional steering as possible". The review went on to say that DAS "gave a lot of feed back to the driver" which is complete BS. There is ZERO road feedback. As DAS removes all road feedback and instead replaces it with a electronically controlled feedback to "mimic" the feeling you are suppose to get with a Hydraulic system. And the Q60 he test drove wast even equipped with DAS. lol This guy is garbage.
Dude 625,000 miles spent on DAS 2.0 and it's only optional anyway? Just to get it to feel like normal hydraulic steering anyway? While doing nothing for the transmission and offering a simple 7AT? Who is calling the shots at Nissan HQ? We need to have a serious talk.

You do this type of testing for your concept cars, not your production cars. They spent so much effort developing something that is only optional, while a transmission is an absolute necessity for a car, especially equipped with a 400HP VR engine. So you make sure that the necessities of the car are at best functionality first, then work on the DAS.

Should have worked that much on having a more sophisticated transmission, while reserving the DAS for their inside concept research.

Last edited by gill1606; 09-25-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:00 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

I'm betting Infiniti wants to license DAS to other manufacturer. So they are really pushing for it even though it is not catching on.

Why else would they give the non-DAS coupe a Crappy Electronic Power Steering instead of the time tested Hydraulic in previous models.

It's like Infiniti is hoping reviewers would put down the crappy non-DAS version so the DAS option would seem "better".

I only took a quick glance but that's what it sounds like they're doing.

Spend thousands of hours making DAS feel like Hydraulic and spending a few minutes making Electronic Power Steering feel like DAS.

http://infinitinews.com/en-US/infini...ing-experience
The following users liked this post:
gill1606 (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 07:51 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

Actually bro electronic power steering is preferred over hydraulic. better gas mileage, less maintenance, less weight, better response at different speeds. The only advantage a Hydraulic system has over electronic is that the feedback from the road onto the steering wheel and the feel of the weight of the car when turning is more with the hydraulic steering. Porsche has electronic steering in its cars as well.

the 2.0t uses Hydraulic steering, while all 3.0t models use the electronic one, with the DAS (digital) system as optional. What I am saying is that instead of focusing so many resources on developing a steering system that is more or less the same as an already stellar electric one, making the DAS a non-necessity in terms of improving performance for the Q60. It's performance would have been much more impacted by a more responsive Transmission set up, the electric steering is good to handle that 400 HP, but is that 7AT on par in bringing out the best of those 400 horses.

Does the DAS improve driving pleasure more, or is it a better transmission? Is the question. DAS should have stayed on the back burner while things like tranny setup moved to the front, improved first, instead of simply lifting a 7AT slush box from a M car.

Steering evolved from hydraulic to now electric. What Nissan is trying to do is push steering to go from electric to digital, through the DAS steer-by-wire mechanism, but at the same time sacrificing work that needed to be done on the tranny, which is going to have a more direct impact on how the VR is going to put down its power. While the electronic steering would have done just as good a job as the digital set up. That's why Nissan should have just kept DAS in its concept cars for now developing it in the background and focusing more on better transmissions first. Once that was done, and the DAS fully developed in its concept cars, Infiniti then should have introduced it as standard on its production cars instead of this half-baked optional mess coupled with an older transmission. But many may still not even like DAS, and even then it being optional would have been preferred.

http://www.autotrainingcentre.com/bl...tric-steering/

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...n-test-feature
Car and Driver testers actually prefer electronic steering over hydraulic.

Last edited by gill1606; 09-25-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:06 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

The electronic steering did already reduce road feedback to the wheel compared to the older hydraulic one. DAS basically reduces road feedback to the wheel even more and is suppose to make steering even more crisp and precise. it may very well take electronic steering's place, just as electronic steering took the place of hydraulic steering in majority of car manufacturers.

But which one would you rather have, a better tranny or an almost numb to the road steering rack? A better tranny right? Most other sports cars still have electric steering and they are performing just fine.

Since the tranny isnt matched up to the power of the engine, i have to agree with the others that the price tag does seem to be too steep in that regard. Drop the price 5-8 grand so we can add our own aftermarket trannys instead. They are basically making you pay more for that new twin turbo VR, new re-design, and better luxury construct over the previous G37 model. But where's the new transmission? Although like someone said, it wont make a difference for the daily driver. for the performance driver, yes.

Last edited by gill1606; 09-25-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:36 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

anyone see this, i think thats the midnight grill with radiant emblem.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:46 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Elector Power Steering doesn't reduce feedback since the steering wheels is still connected via rack N Pinion.

DAS isn't directly connected unless it fails and the back up mechanical gears kick in.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:46 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
The reason DAS is getting some much money dumped into it is because of the race for autonomous cars and enhanced safety systems. If any other brand had done this first, their forums would be having the same talk. Wait till 2022 when most Cars FEB. Most are saying it will be standard if not avalible on every car.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:58 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

Originally Posted by clutchfan
Elector Power Steering doesn't reduce feedback since the steering wheels is still connected via rack N Pinion.

DAS isn't directly connected unless it fails and the back up mechanical gears kick in.
The article I read says electric power steering does reduce feedback compared to the older Hydraulic ones, as a main difference of hydraulic steering is more road feedback to the steering wheel as compared to an electronic system.

it is possible that the mechanism that the electronic system provides has more pronounced steering assistance over the hydraulic one. If you want to be pure natural hardcore and really feel the weight of the car and the road feedback, you would have zero steering aids on your steering rack, neither electric, hydraulic, or the new DAS digital.

Last edited by gill1606; 09-26-2016 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:09 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

Originally Posted by eljoker
The reason DAS is getting some much money dumped into it is because of the race for autonomous cars and enhanced safety systems. If any other brand had done this first, their forums would be having the same talk. Wait till 2022 when most Cars FEB. Most are saying it will be standard if not avalible on every car.
yea but dont sacrifice tranny for it. You dont see BMW or Mercedes falling over themselves trying to get DAS steering into their cars. And if it was so necessary for the driving experience why is it only optional and not standard. The tranny HAS to be standard, so might as well make sure its a good one.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:54 PM
slm9555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw one out in the wild today at the local mall (not at dealer). It was stunning, definitely got my attention. Car was silver and looked so good. Doesn't look too long in person like it does in some pictures online, it's sleek. I was very impressed, it's a good design change over the last gen which didn't excite me like the original g35 did.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:49 AM
User 122320
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gill1606
yea but dont sacrifice tranny for it. You dont see BMW or Mercedes falling over themselves trying to get DAS steering into their cars. And if it was so necessary for the driving experience why is it only optional and not standard. The tranny HAS to be standard, so might as well make sure its a good one.
Seems like Infiniti is confused. They want to increase performance, but equip a car with a slush box transmission, and they want the car to drive itself in the future.

DAS should be on the the Q50 and maybe their other Sedans. But a Coupe?

Quick Reply: Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit