Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 12:05 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
yeah, no.
there's a HUGE difference between a part-time Haldex system and a full-time AWD system that uses torque vectoring.

"Active Yaw Control (AYC) is an automobile feature that uses an active differential to transfer torque to the wheels that have the best grip on the road (torque vectoring). Unlike traditional mechanical limited-slip differentials, an AYC is electronically controlled.

[I]Active yaw control is based on a computer-controlled rear differential which can actively split torque based on input from various accelerometers in the vehicle measuring longitudinal and lateral g forces, steering, brakes and throttle position.[2] Where ABS brakes are fitted they too are included in the input parameters. It accomplishes this via two hydraulic clutches which can limit torque on individual axles. This system should not be confused with stability control systems which utilize the braking system of a vehicle by individually braking certain wheels to rotate and slow the car (such as Electronic brakeforce distribution). AYC is a performance-oriented system which aims to increase cornering speeds."

i work until midnight, and i don't often have a choice to drive on plowed and salted roads when i leave work at that time. i had a Legacy GT on Blizzaks that got me home without drama during the great Snowpocalypse of 2010. i drove around many SUV's and Jeeps that were abandoned in the middle of the road - it was like something out of a zombie movie. in the photo below, you can see how the snow is up past the bumper of the car - i had to park the car in the middle of the street to dig out my driveway enough to pull it in. luckily, the roads had been plowed earlier and the snow was only 1-1.5 feet deep.

with that being said, the G will do "decent" with some snow tires, but i'm not going to have the confidence i did with my Legacy or Evo in the nasty stuff.
Yea dude that's what I said, torque vectoring transfers torque to individual wheels, while ATESSA ETS (Electronic Torque Split) transfers torque to wheels in pairs. Both have mechanical differentials with the addition of an electronic monitoring system for the torque vectoring system to detect slip in each individual wheel. I was stressing the mechanism of action of both in terms of splitting torque. It still doesn't change the fact that one delivers torque to wheels individually and the other does it in pairs.

The ATESSA ETS is still a proper AWD torque delivering unit, it doesn't use braking the wheels to maintain traction, like the Electronic brakeforce distribution described above. It transfers torque as well just like the Torque vectoring, which just does it individually to each wheel thanks to the electronic sensors that measure slip in each wheel.

You would probably need snow tires in snow conditions like that, coupled with an ATESSA ETS it should not be an insurmountable of a task.

And yes the 4WD of Subarus and Evos is probably better because you have constant torque delivery to all wheels at all times, plus splitting of torque when needed during slipping. whether it is torque vectoring or paired torque split like in the ATESSA ETS system.

Last edited by gill1606; 09-06-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:59 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

The 3.0t has 300 HP plus 295 lb-ft of torque @ 1,600-5,200 rpm, that is a nice even spread of torque delivery between low and high RPMs, which is probably why there is no turbo lag. that means this Infiniti is going to put down that power very well and it will use every bit of that 300HP and will most likely offer similar or better acceleration compared to even more expensive cars.

They could have used larger turbos to get more HP out of this VR, but like El Joker said they are probably saving that for the next gen Nissan GTR.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:08 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark

i drove a new Q50 with the 3.7, and its a dog - felt like it had 100hp less than my unmodded coupe with the same engine. i'm not arguing about power - i'm went from a close to 400hp Evo to the G37 - the G37's power is "good enough" for me. would i like more? sure, but not for how much $$$ it takes to squeak out a few extra ponies.

i just don't see why the 300hp car wasn't made to be 340-350, and the RS made to be 425-450 ... it just seems like a waste of a V6TT. yes, you can probably make them monsters with aftermarket parts/tunes, but this is an expensive, complex car and i like warranties now that i'm older.
Maybe underate it to make the rs more appealing idk
Old 09-06-2016, 01:16 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

Infiniti did a good job with this car and making a nice even powerband where you are putting down that 300HP over a wide area of RPM. like other members said, there are vehicles with higher HP but poor powerbands and unevenly spread torque, or not enough torque. With this car you have a healthy 300HP plus pretty much equal amount of torque, and that too spread wide in the RPMs. Which means you are going to get full use of all 300 horses, and why the engineers at Infiniti realized it would have the same affect of a 350 HP unit, and why they did not feel the need to unnecessarily bump horsepower that high.

So you don't need 350 HP or 450 HP in the Red Sport, because of the even power band you are going to be nailing that horsepower to the road as soon as you hit the gas, the acceleration provided by the well distributed torque will make it as though you have an extra 50-80 HP in the Infiniti. If they had increased HP and kept the torque the same, you would not feel that aggressive acceleration that pins that horsepower to the road.

Last edited by gill1606; 09-06-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:45 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

just check out this guy's reaction to the acceleration of this car @ 14:04:

according to the comments of his fans he rarely curses in his video reviews!

If you keep listening he basically hits on the fact that for this car the "power is there, this thing has torque. Torque for days, torque everywhere."

This car doesn't need the extra 50 HP you guys are whining about.

Last edited by gill1606; 09-06-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:44 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Adversited numbers have never been a thing for Nissan and Infiniti. Just look at the GTR, on paper it is well under powered but yet what does it do in the circuits and tracks? Out performs the completion. And most of the Cars that tango with it have more HP or TQ.

My whole point has been from the beginning of this argument is that what they did with this engine is more than enough and it does not need to be advertised higher than the old engine. Because it out preforms it where it matters, in usable power.

That is all.

Last edited by eljoker; 09-06-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:56 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

^^^yea when Nissan released the R34 GTR Skyline, the official statement from Nissan on horsepower was just 280HP. We all know how accurate that was lol.

Last edited by gill1606; 09-06-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:33 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
So anyways, Stillen has a post on their Facebook about the RS intake development. The guys rev the car up and it sounds great! They gave no details on if they had prototype Intakes or just removed the stock intake piping for an Open intake but it sounds good. They said more info will be out soon.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonviper
Stillen has confirmed the TT is making 40-50 more HP than advertised. Does it really matter if it's advertised as such? It's just needs to perform like it imo.
I don't believe that for a second. Proof please.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:12 PM
jasonviper

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
I don't believe that for a second. Proof please.
It's been documented on their FB page and Instagram. They're estimating it could be making up to 470hp. See ...STILLEN R&D - Q50 Red Sport 3.0tt - 2014 Infiniti Q50 Forum
Old 09-06-2016, 09:26 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

I'm familiar with that thread and Stillen's dyno numbers. First, I think 15% drivetrain is way too high in this modern era. It's probably closer to 10% with the 7AT. Second, I have no doubt their dyno reads high.

On that same thread, there's a guy who ran a 13.2 in the 1/4 mile with a Q50 RS. That ain't much better than a well-driven 3.7L. Based on ET and an estimated weight of 3800 pounds with driver, that comes very close to an estimated 400hp. Actually a little under.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:21 PM
jasonviper

I'm familiar with that thread and Stillen's dyno numbers. First, I think 15% drivetrain is way too high in this modern era. It's probably closer to 10% with the 7AT. Second, I have no doubt their dyno reads high.

On that same thread, there's a guy who ran a 13.2 in the 1/4 mile with a Q50 RS. That ain't much better than a well-driven 3.7L. Based on ET and an estimated weight of 3800 pounds with driver, that comes very close to an estimated 400hp. Actually a little under.
That's why I said 40-50hp. I also think 15 is probably a bit rich but even 10% is substantial. There was someone who posted a 12.8 sec 1/4 mile but there are too many variables to get caught up in the numbers like this. I embarrassed a Porsche Boxter in my Hybrid Sport lol, but it basically comes down to if your happy with the car not. I think people are getting to caught up in the numbers. People can decide if they like the car or not, but let's not pick apart the numbers without real seat time.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:28 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jasonviper
That's why I said 40-50hp. I also think 15 is probably a bit rich but even 10% is substantial. There was someone who posted a 12.8 sec 1/4 mile but there are too many variables to get caught up in the numbers like this. I embarrassed a Porsche Boxter in my Hybrid Sport lol, but it basically comes down to if your happy with the car not. I think people are getting to caught up in the numbers. People can decide if they like the car or not, but let's not pick apart the numbers without real seat time.
Yeah I never even looked at the performance of the hybrid model until someone compared it to the RS and their 60-100mph time. Was a bit shocking how close they were.

I'm waiting patiently for my local dealer to get a 300hp 3.0T test driver in but it'll have to be a Sport which you can't even configure on the Infiniti web site yet. I think it'll be six months before I can test drive an RS and I'm not a first year kind of guy.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:47 PM
jasonviper

Yeah I never even looked at the performance of the hybrid model until someone compared it to the RS and their 60-100mph time. Was a bit shocking how close they were.

I'm waiting patiently for my local dealer to get a 300hp 3.0T test driver in but it'll have to be a Sport which you can't even configure on the Infiniti web site yet. I think it'll be six months before I can test drive an RS and I'm not a first year kind of guy.
Yeah the same one I went to. I think we both already saw the midnight black one they had.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:51 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Yep, they have three more on the way, all premium 3.0T's. I haven't checked the new Boerne Infiniti dealer yet. I'm just glad I have an option with dealerships. I've not had any issues with Gunn but I've heard quite a few horror stories and they're most definitely not mod friendly.

Quick Reply: Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit