Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 10:00 AM
Danmangto

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
thats pretty sad. my stock Evo does that (or better) with 2 less cylinders, 1 less turbo, and 100 less hp.
400hp is great and im not a drag racer - im more concerned about how all that extra heft affects handling.

seems like the Q60 is turning from a sports coupe into a porky cruiser ...
Lets drive one and see tests before we come to those conclusions. Not all of us want a STI/WRX type ride that you need back surgery after taking a 30 to 60 min ride either. Very harsh/stiff ride/noisy. I will give up some handling to have a nicer ride, My opinion. On the roads, at least here in the NY city area, you can't use most of the cars handling anyway, unless you want to get big traffic tickets.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:02 AM
Danmangto

Originally Posted by clutchfan
Why do you think Infiniti switched to "turbos". It's supposed to be more fuel "efficient".

Now, when owners here starting asking if they can run regular on their twin turbo coupe and sedan....
Nissan has had turbos for years.. GT-R ?? The issue with a turbo is so that they can get higher EPA numbers. In real world driving a Turbo 4 cylinder car gets gas mileage same as a naturally aspirated V6, sometimes worse. Look RDX 4cyl Turbo SUV.. get same or worse gas mileage than the EX35 V6 SUV. Not to mention the 4cyl sounds worse/not as refined as the V6.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:04 AM
Danmangto

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
We have a 2014 335i w/Sport package 4-door in the family with zero reliability issues thus far but I crossed shopped more than a few of the Germans, mostly the S4/S5 and the M3. A lot of the S4 and 2013 S5's can have thermostat issues which require the entire supercharger get pulled for access purposes. That's a bit over a grand to do that job.

The V8 S5 has major carbon build-up issues but is otherwise fairly solid from a mechanical standpoint although some of the ancillary items like steering pumps or a/c issues seem to pop up frequently. Then there's the electronics on the Audis. Can be a real nightmare. With that said, I drove a 2012 S5 with 80K on the odometer just to see how it held up. It was cared for by the local dealer and I have to admit, the car was rock solid and did not feel like it had 80K or anywhere close to it. Everything was still very solid on the car.

The M3? E90/2/3 chassis...(I wouldn't touch an E46 with a 10-ft poll) it has a list of issues longer than my arm and not a car you should own without a comprehensive extended warranty. Pick your car and add at least $3.5K to the price to cover a decent warranty, possibly even quite a bit more than that. The two major issues are the DCT transmission, specifically leaking, and the other issue is bearings. Some swear it's not a wide-spread problem but lots of evidence shows excessive wear in as little as 30K miles. There have been 2013's, low mileage, which have gotten the dreaded lower end "knock". Best case, you catch it prior to the engine seizing. Despite all of that, I'd still own an E93.

I knew about the gasket issue with the G prior to purchasing and it's one of the reasons I snatched up a 2013. I have about a year left of full factory coverage and will more than likely buy an extended warranty here soon just for piece of mind (and the fact I do not plan on modding the engine/transmission).

The new coupe is far more complex and I wouldn't be an early adopter. 400hp would be nice but personally, 348hp is doing me just fine. It's enough "FU" power to eliminate bad drivers as an obstacle and make traffic far less of a hassle and keeps me from testing my own mortality on a daily basis. Did that enough when I was younger and lived to tell about it.
Agreed. If you want the new coupe wait a few years, when pricing/incentives go up. Never buy the 1st year, when demand and the dealers can gauge you the most. Plus if any issues by year 2 or 3 or beyond they will have fixed.

Any of these cars, if you are buying it to own and will keep it 5 or 10 yrs.. buy the Manufacturer backed extended warranty, no 3rd parties. If you lease for 2 to 3 yrs then no big deal.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Danmangto

Sat in all new Coupe

Got to sit in the All New Coupe at the NY Auto show. They had electric turned on inside so you could play around with dash/GPS displays, etc. Tech inside is nice, way better than our current 2008 to 2015 G coupes. Interior is even nicer, nice touches. Overall, I still think the current coupe looks better on the outside, I can tell it's an Infiniti easier than new one. New coupe has a lot of hints of other cars.. where as old G35 coupe and current G37 has more of it's own styling? Can't wait to test drive one and see.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:26 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Danmangto
Not all of us want a STI/WRX type ride that you need back surgery after taking a 30 to 60 min ride either. Very harsh/stiff ride/noisy.
i daily drove mine for 5 years with no back surgery. its pretty much the same as my G's sport suspension.
i do have the MR, with Bilstein struts and Eibach springs, so i cant comment on the regular one.

saw a video on the new interior/screens. looks pretty cool, but in addition to not wanting to own a first year car with so many changes, i'd also hold out for Android Auto ....
Old 03-27-2016, 04:30 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Q60 spotted in Dubai

Q60 spotted in Dubai

It's pretty bad.. almost looks like a chrysler 200 from the rear.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:03 PM
ThebigJ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Danmangto
Or you can have the famous BMW water pump failures that the car completely shuts off no warning when you are on the highway almost causing a bad wreck, happened to a few friends of mine. When the car is about 5 to 7 yrs old with 50k 60k miles on it. Repair is like $2,500. Most recent was a friend with a 2011 BMW, 60k miles on it. I never had the gasket issue on the G37 yet.. we'll see..
In my post I already stated the water pump issue and it is a cheap fix. You just need to do it BEFORE the failure hence it can be PREVENTED. And you see even after the failure it is a 2.5K job.

Where as the gasket issue can NOT be prevented and seems the fix is around 3K. That is fcking ridiculous and infiniti's ignorance on the situation is beyond me. All you can do is to is to hope for the best.

Also Wrx is not bad as a daily driver. Although I prefer my g37, the wrx is a comfortable ride for everyday driving(Evo's are diffrerent I believe).

Last edited by ThebigJ; 03-27-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:01 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by ThebigJ
Also Wrx is not bad as a daily driver. Although I prefer my g37, the wrx is a comfortable ride for everyday driving(Evo's are diffrerent I believe).
EVO is comparable to the G37 w/sport suspension.

I'd say it's a *more* comfortable driving experience, because the Evo has an auto climate control that actually works as it should.

Anyone with a Q50: how are the climate controls?
Old 03-27-2016, 08:58 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
I've always found the Climate Controls in the Nissan/Infinities to work properly. You start the car and its 40° out side. Set the Auto to 80°. Car warms up, the climate control slowly warms up to 80. Then it drops down the fan speed to maintain it at 80. Works the same for the AC. The Honda/Acura ones don't work that way. It seems like you set the temature and it just blast what ever air is in there at full speed instead of building up to it. I don't want 40° air blowing in my face until the car warms up.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:49 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
We have a 2014 335i w/Sport package 4-door in the family with zero reliability issues thus far but I crossed shopped more than a few of the Germans, mostly the S4/S5 and the M3. A lot of the S4 and 2013 S5's can have thermostat issues which require the entire supercharger get pulled for access purposes. That's a bit over a grand to do that job.

The V8 S5 has major carbon build-up issues but is otherwise fairly solid from a mechanical standpoint although some of the ancillary items like steering pumps or a/c issues seem to pop up frequently. Then there's the electronics on the Audis. Can be a real nightmare. With that said, I drove a 2012 S5 with 80K on the odometer just to see how it held up. It was cared for by the local dealer and I have to admit, the car was rock solid and did not feel like it had 80K or anywhere close to it. Everything was still very solid on the car.

The M3? E90/2/3 chassis...(I wouldn't touch an E46 with a 10-ft poll) it has a list of issues longer than my arm and not a car you should own without a comprehensive extended warranty. Pick your car and add at least $3.5K to the price to cover a decent warranty, possibly even quite a bit more than that. The two major issues are the DCT transmission, specifically leaking, and the other issue is bearings. Some swear it's not a wide-spread problem but lots of evidence shows excessive wear in as little as 30K miles. There have been 2013's, low mileage, which have gotten the dreaded lower end "knock". Best case, you catch it prior to the engine seizing. Despite all of that, I'd still own an E93.

I knew about the gasket issue with the G prior to purchasing and it's one of the reasons I snatched up a 2013. I have about a year left of full factory coverage and will more than likely buy an extended warranty here soon just for piece of mind (and the fact I do not plan on modding the engine/transmission).

The new coupe is far more complex and I wouldn't be an early adopter. 400hp would be nice but personally, 348hp is doing me just fine. It's enough "FU" power to eliminate bad drivers as an obstacle and make traffic far less of a hassle and keeps me from testing my own mortality on a daily basis. Did that enough when I was younger and lived to tell about it.
As a former 2012 E92 M3 owner and 2010 S4 owner and now current 2012 S4 owner, I'm going to have to disagree with some of the things you've stated.

I've been on both forums M3's and Audi's and the number of DCT issues are small compared to the vast majority of cars - also its typically people complaining on forums and not the majority of owners - the primary issues with the DCT's are the megatronics which can be replaced with a $400 kit. Early on Audi replaced entire transmissions but those days are long gone. Now a simple kit is all thats needed and that issue stems from the fluid eating away at the board which is immersed in the transmission fluid.

As per the S5 having issues that engine hasn't been in production since 2012 with the solution being a walnut cleaning - not sure of the cost but in alot of cases that I've seen Audi has covered those under warranty. Personally my 2012 S4 had its water pump and thermostat replaced as part of a recall campaign (and a new engine during the recall - but thats another story). Newer cars 2013 and up do not have this issue. Even older cars in a lot of cases Audi is footing some of the bill for replacements.

Overall both brands have been very reliable with no issues. Both have proven far more reliable than my Infiniti.

Stranger still for me is the fact that these cars have gotten so heavy. Heavier even than the S4 which feels heavy. And the gas mileage no better either. Seems like infiniti is moving backward.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:38 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm ready to see this car in person. Some pictures of this car look great, others it looks bad.

The turbos are cool, but if the weight of the car and tranny slow the car down then it's going to be a facepalm. A TT AWD car should be able to be a monster. Hopefully Infiniti doesn't Fawk this up.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:39 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rm2342
It's pretty bad.. almost looks like a chrysler 200 from the rear.
Agreed .
Old 03-27-2016, 11:39 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Q60 spotted in Dubai

Q60 spotted in Dubai
I like it and I don't like it... it'll probably grow on me
Thanks for the picture!
The following users liked this post:
P Casey (03-27-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 12:32 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk
As a former 2012 E92 M3 owner and 2010 S4 owner and now current 2012 S4 owner, I'm going to have to disagree with some of the things you've stated.

I've been on both forums M3's and Audi's and the number of DCT issues are small compared to the vast majority of cars - also its typically people complaining on forums and not the majority of owners - the primary issues with the DCT's are the megatronics which can be replaced with a $400 kit. Early on Audi replaced entire transmissions but those days are long gone. Now a simple kit is all thats needed and that issue stems from the fluid eating away at the board which is immersed in the transmission fluid.

As per the S5 having issues that engine hasn't been in production since 2012 with the solution being a walnut cleaning - not sure of the cost but in alot of cases that I've seen Audi has covered those under warranty. Personally my 2012 S4 had its water pump and thermostat replaced as part of a recall campaign (and a new engine during the recall - but thats another story). Newer cars 2013 and up do not have this issue. Even older cars in a lot of cases Audi is footing some of the bill for replacements.

Overall both brands have been very reliable with no issues. Both have proven far more reliable than my Infiniti.

Stranger still for me is the fact that these cars have gotten so heavy. Heavier even than the S4 which feels heavy. And the gas mileage no better either. Seems like infiniti is moving backward.
You and I are going to have to agree to disagree. It wasn't just the megatronics in the transmission but also the side gaskets leaking which requires the removal of the entire transmission to replace them. That isn't cheap. A few grand I believe. And there's no guarantee it won't happen again. Almost forgot the throttle actuators which habitually go bad @ $700 a pop. There's two. Can bus issues too. E93 tops that don't work or have issues (there was a recall on the actuator wires or whatever they're called) and require constant, vigilant care. Other than that, the bearing issues and a few other minor niggles, the car is pretty reliable if you get a "good one". The 335's, especially the early ones, suffer from so many issues it isn't funny including fuel pumps that'll shut off and stop the car in the middle of the highway. Been there personally.

The Audis. I love Audi. The Metatronics issue seems to be sporadic at best but it's not a cheap fix. The carbon buildup issue isn't a warranty repair and the dealerships generally don't fix it or even look at it unless it causes an issue and trips a code. So you generally have to suck it up and enjoy the loss in power or pay an Indy shop to clean it. If you're out of warranty, it's about a $1000 to pull it, clean it and reinstall. All of their direct injection engines suffer from it in various degrees including the R8. If I remember correctly, there was one other issue with the 2012 S4's that was supposedly solved in the 2013 model year, maybe it was the thermostat but I thought there was no change in the actual part number. I would agree as a whole the DSG is rugged from a purely mechanical standpoint, seems to have less issues overall than BMW's DCT. The amount of pure BS people put up with (myself included) with BMW is borderline insane.

My last Infiniti received basic maintenance and I only had one failure, the thermostat, in 150K miles of ownership. $300 at a stealership to fix because I was three plus hours from home. I could have fixed it myself in an hour for less than $30 if I'd been at home.

Infiniti has typically been much less complex mechanically than either Audi or BMW and I would find it very, very hard to believe, generally, they're less reliable than any of the big three Germans and even VW.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ape Factory:
2008G-Man (03-28-2016), Glenn2008 (03-28-2016), serega13 (03-28-2016), twin_snails (03-30-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 01:57 AM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 239 Posts
My bros 335 waterpump went out and leaking headgasket at less than 60k

Quick Reply: Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit