G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 04:14 AM
Taine Morrish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i really hope it drives as well as the g37 and skylines used to drive, i've been seeing that power to weight ratio dropping from the peak of 165kw per tonne to the high 130s with every q60 release since then
Old 02-08-2016, 06:20 AM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Taine Morrish
i really hope it drives as well as the g37 and skylines used to drive, i've been seeing that power to weight ratio dropping from the peak of 165kw per tonne to the high 130s with every q60 release since then
I miss the RAS my G35 had. It hugged the corners with ease. Very smooth.

Had to do an emergency lane change once while driving 40+ mph on the street. Some idiot decided to merge into my lane (he was coming out of a Plaza). I saw him and there was no way for me to stop in time, so I just switched over 'halfway' in the middle lane while avoiding car in that lane and merged back to the left lane. Car was in complete control! I was in-between 2 cars for a short period of time. I don't think I could do that with my Q60. It doesn't have the same response / control w/o RAS.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:19 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by clutchfan
I miss the RAS my G35 had. It hugged the corners with ease. Very smooth.

Had to do an emergency lane change once while driving 40+ mph on the street. Some idiot decided to merge into my lane (he was coming out of a Plaza). I saw him and there was no way for me to stop in time, so I just switched over 'halfway' in the middle lane while avoiding car in that lane and merged back to the left lane. Car was in complete control! I was in-between 2 cars for a short period of time. I don't think I could do that with my Q60. It doesn't have the same response / control w/o RAS.
The G37 is 250 lbs heavier than a G35. Its just not as nimble.

Put Michelin Pilots and some coils and it will be better than the 35 there vbx.
The following users liked this post:
eljoker (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 12:51 PM
tag824

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
New Q60 is suppose to have the same wheel base as the current model. I find that interesting, because "if" the car is longer (which every thinks it will be) that's not good for handling. Who knows, maybe the new active dampers do wonders to compensate for the extra weight and length.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:14 AM
chilibowl

Originally Posted by tag824
New Q60 is suppose to have the same wheel base as the current model. I find that interesting, because "if" the car is longer (which every thinks it will be) that's not good for handling. Who knows, maybe the new active dampers do wonders to compensate for the extra weight and length.
Wheel base is the same, so the car cant be "longer" in terms of rubber tread patch spacing on the floor.

If they can bring in the car at a dead even 3600lbs with a full tank of gas sitting on 20 inch wheels and bigger brakes, I will be content.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:30 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by chilibowl
If they can bring in the car at a dead even 3600lbs with a full tank of gas sitting on 20 inch wheels and bigger brakes, I will be content.

considering the curb weight of the current Q60 is 3708 lbs (or 3834 with AWD), i'd say that would be a frickin' miracle.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:32 PM
chilibowl

Originally Posted by Landshark
considering the curb weight of the current Q60 is 3708 lbs (or 3834 with AWD), i'd say that would be a frickin' miracle.
108lbs i feel is REASONABLY doable.

But still overly optimistic.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:48 AM
User 122320
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chilibowl
The G37 is 250 lbs heavier than a G35. Its just not as nimble.

Put Michelin Pilots and some coils and it will be better than the 35 there vbx.
RAS makes a bigger difference. Too bad no one wanted to pay for it and it was discontinued.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:09 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Let's talk about this new digital suspension that will be on the Red Sport.

When I drove the Q50 Red Sport, I noticed a difference on the suspension when we cycled thru the modes. Now thing is that when we changed the modes it changed suspension, engine and transmission and I only had a short time to play with it. Also, we don't have many curvy roads around here. So what I'm saying is that although I felt a difference, I didn't have enough time to decipher what and how it all changed.

We, the few, like to change things on our vehicles to improve and customize. How do you guys think having this Digital Dynamic Suspension affect our way of modding? Can we still lower it with after market springs? Will they offer Coil overs and if they do, will the vehicle always display a "Suspension Malfunction" Error? Since it comes standard on the Red Sport ( based on information I have) and optional on the Sports, will they only make aftermarket parts for the non Red Sports?

Obviously we won't know any of that until the Aftermarket Tuners get involved after the vehicles launch. But I ask because I am not familiar with vechiles that have factory Digital/Air/Magnetic active suspension and modifing them.

I'm sure it's done but other than the QX80, Infiniti hasn't offered these suspensions before right?

What are the opinions of us few people here who are looking forward to a platform we can modify?
Old 02-10-2016, 02:40 PM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by eljoker
Let's talk about this new digital suspension that will be on the Red Sport.

When I drove the Q50 Red Sport, I noticed a difference on the suspension when we cycled thru the modes. Now thing is that when we changed the modes it changed suspension, engine and transmission and I only had a short time to play with it. Also, we don't have many curvy roads around here. So what I'm saying is that although I felt a difference, I didn't have enough time to decipher what and how it all changed.

We, the few, like to change things on our vehicles to improve and customize. How do you guys think having this Digital Dynamic Suspension affect our way of modding? Can we still lower it with after market springs? Will they offer Coil overs and if they do, will the vehicle always display a "Suspension Malfunction" Error? Since it comes standard on the Red Sport ( based on information I have) and optional on the Sports, will they only make aftermarket parts for the non Red Sports?

Obviously we won't know any of that until the Aftermarket Tuners get involved after the vehicles launch. But I ask because I am not familiar with vechiles that have factory Digital/Air/Magnetic active suspension and modifing them.

I'm sure it's done but other than the QX80, Infiniti hasn't offered these suspensions before right?

What are the opinions of us few people here who are looking forward to a platform we can modify?
My current Lexus IS350 F Sport has similar suspension settings that can be changed from Eco, Normal, Sport, and Sport Plus. Each setting is different in terms of throttle response, shift points, suspension stiffness, etc. I had lowering springs installed and it hasn't affected the suspension settings at all
Old 02-10-2016, 02:47 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 559 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Pat
My current Lexus IS350 F Sport has similar suspension settings that can be changed from Eco, Normal, Sport, and Sport Plus. Each setting is different in terms of throttle response, shift points, suspension stiffness, etc. I had lowering springs installed and it hasn't affected the suspension settings at all
From what I know, all of the technology is in the dampers. Springs will only shift each setting firmer. Replacing the dampers, such as with coilovers, may be an issue.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Pat
GS350 F Sport owner here. The only setting that changes the suspension at all is Sport S+. It stiffens the dampers (Adaptive Variable Suspension) and tightens Variable Gear Ratio Steering and activates the Dynamic Rear Steering. At least on the RC and GS F Sport models. It stands to reason that the IS would be the same. The other driving modes only affect the throttle/fuel mapping and transmission controls.

As far as ability to mod the suspension, it can still be done as Pat says. Changing springs works just the same as every other car. Changing the dampers is a different story. I'm not aware of any aftermarket offerings that are compatible with the system to electronically control the dampers. There could be some, but not that I've found. You can still install coilovers like any other car, but would lose the ability to adjust them via the controls. It might cause some sort of error message but would function normally. You might have to remove the motors on top of the upper mounts.

I'd presume that the Infiniti system will be essentially similar.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:22 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

I had a 2015 FSport (3IS). Didn't really noticed much of a difference in Sports+ mode. Yeah, it's stiffer but RAS makes a huge difference in smoothness and stability when turning at high speed.

Nissan has a video that shows just how awesome it was.

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECH...VIEW/4was.html
Old 02-10-2016, 05:27 PM
indyn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish it will have manual and LSD
Old 02-10-2016, 05:38 PM
tag824

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
It depends how complicated the suspension is. Some cars with active dampers will throw an error if lowered with springs. Some have sensors that measure the ride height and it may think you have a blown strut/shock. When you lower a car with springs the strut/shock rod is pushed into the housing more at rest. Think of a ruler that you wrap your hand around the very top, now lower yourself 1" closer to the ground and your hand slides down the ruler 1". Your hand in that example is the rod. Same thing happens in the strut/shock, the lower you drop the car the more the rod depresses into the housing.

The active dampers themselves are pretty simple, they have ferrous fluid that when a current is passed through magnetically changes its viscosity and hence stiffens or softens the ride. The amount of current passed though them determines the viscosity. It doesn't care about height, but if the system is advanced and measures where the rod is in relation to where it thinks it needs to be that could cause errors. Aside from that there may be other sensors that throw errors, I've even seen headlight sensors throw errors because a car was lowered.

Quick Reply: Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit