Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 12:25 PM
tag824

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Something no one has been talking about is the fact that Nissan probably took into account using the same engine for the 300hp and 400hp, thus putting the tunners into action. I would not be surprised that somewhere in the warranty agreement it's written that the warranty is null & void if something other than stock software found.
Duh, that goes for any car. The trick is finding a tune that can uninstall without trace. Cobb is really good at installing/uninstalling but the other factors depend on how much effort the car manufacturer puts into finding out if you installed a tune.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:34 PM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Just get a second ECU if you're worried about leaving a trace.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:58 PM
tag824

The hardest part is someone cracking the ECU and being able to tune it. BMW has really locked down their systems and it's a lot harder to hack their ECU's now. Also, they added measures to find out if you so much as attempt to install a tune. There are ways around it, but it's getting far more difficult to tune them. Will be interesting to see how locked down the new 3.0L TT is.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:51 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by tag824
The hardest part is someone cracking the ECU and being able to tune it. BMW has really locked down their systems and it's a lot harder to hack their ECU's now. Also, they added measures to find out if you so much as attempt to install a tune. There are ways around it, but it's getting far more difficult to tune them. Will be interesting to see how locked down the new 3.0L TT is.

it would be good if they can, but i'm not too worried about it. i think 70hp over the current G is plenty for use as a daily driver. more important to me is the extra torque.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:57 PM
ACoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never felt short-changed with the power in the G37. It was the "wave" acceleration style that sometimes left me wanting more torque.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:17 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
it would be good if they can, but i'm not too worried about it. i think 70hp over the current G is plenty for use as a daily driver. more important to me is the extra torque.
Yeah, 400hp and more torque is good for me. I was thinking the people who get the 300hp version and want to get it to a 400hp tune.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:26 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
I was thinking the people who get the 300hp version and want to get it to a 400hp tune.
if the stock turbo will allow that .... it will be limited by what they put in there.

for example, the Evo comes with a big factory turbo, and flashing a stage 1 map gets more gains over an STi that has a smaller stock turbo.

The following users liked this post:
2008G-Man (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 08:26 PM
ThebigJ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Two water pumps instead of one make a difference. Honestly if infiniti uses exactly the same engine and just a different tune between 300 and 400hp versions I would say it would suck for them unless the price difference is very small.

In Bmw's there was a similar issue. 320i vs 328i (both are turbo 2 liter ) likewise 116i vs 118i (only available in eu, both has 1.6 liter turbos one rated 138 the other rated 177hp). I believe for 320i vs 328i they had different pistons, camshaft and not just software , exhasut was different for 116i and 118i .

So I strongly believe there will be one or two different parts in the 400hp version which are probably added for improved reliability and it will probably not make any sense to get the 300 version and tune/mod it to be exactly the same as the 400hp version.

However this is actually a monopoly approach to milk the people who care more about the hp more for a similar product. And while doing it they will make sure that you will not have the incentive to go for the cheaper product and make it exactly the same as the more expensive version.

Still if it was me I would just release 400hp and a 250 sth hp 2liter and get rid of the 300hp version.
P Casey (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 09:21 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I have a feeling the 400hp version will be 65k+ and in that case a gently used 2015 m4 or M3 with DCT would be my choice. If for any reason it's in the low 50's like the Lexus RC350 I'd be very surprised. I have finally come to the conclusion that I don't like the front of the car, I love the side view and rear view. Interior looks good, but the front bumper kills me. Also, I do like the headlights.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:16 PM
gt_performah

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by P Casey
I have a feeling the 400hp version will be 65k+ and in that case a gently used 2015 m4 or M3 with DCT would be my choice.
65k+ is a stretch IMO. At that price, the 300hp version would have to be 50k+ and the convertible would easily be 70k. I'm going with 55k - 60k, but I'm hoping it will be under 55k. Maybe I'm just being selfish but I see no advantage for them if this car is 65k+.

Somebody asked this question before and no one addressed it. Where does this car fit at 400hp? Based on the numbers on paper, it's underpowered compared to a M3 or RC F so I don't see it costing more than those cars.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:40 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Looks like it will be equipped with DAS? Infiniti is really pushing for this "technology" even after the countless bad reviews and problems.

Not sure why they want this on a "sports car". I mean they got rid of RAS? I would prefer the car with RAS.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:49 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by gt_performah
65k+ is a stretch IMO. At that price, the 300hp version would have to be 50k+ and the convertible would easily be 70k. I'm going with 55k - 60k, but I'm hoping it will be under 55k. Maybe I'm just being selfish but I see no advantage for them if this car is 65k+.

Somebody asked this question before and no one addressed it. Where does this car fit at 400hp? Based on the numbers on paper, it's underpowered compared to a M3 or RC F so I don't see it costing more than those cars.
The way I see it is that Infiniti is going up the middle where none of those cars have an offering and feel that was the purpose. It is way above the A5/S5, RC, C coupe, and 4 series, but it is right below the top trim level of all those cars. I do believe the IPL version will compete against those top trim level as it would only take about 50 more HP//TQ and upgraded suspension.

I see the 400hp version at about 60k and if there is an IPL version, that version being about 65k-70k+, which I believe would be a good price considering what the others charge for their all out performance versions.

Last edited by InfinitiFreak; 01-19-2016 at 12:02 AM.
P Casey (01-19-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 11:52 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by gt_performah

The RC-F and M4/M3 are not on the same level as far as speed. The M3 with DCT is a sub 4 second 0-60 car while the RC-F is about 4.5 seconds. That is drastic. On one hand the Lexus comes fully equipped, while the M4/M3 starts for sedan very basic at 65, typically you're going to be in the mid 70k range for a good optioned one closer to 80 with a great one. You can walk out the door with a fully loaded RC-F at 65-68k.

So I'm saying I think it will be the same with Infiniti, the 400hp will be fully optioned at around 60-65, obviously speculation but I can't see it being lowering than 55k unless it's stripped down like some of the 435 coupes, then you add the M sport pkg with nav, big brakes, performance exhausted, etc and you're at 65 before you know it.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:49 AM
AZ37

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Driving for me is a little more than just raw numbers. I'll wait to see how the Q60S performs on the road. I don't think it's a valid comparison but the BMW M3 apparently isn't all that great as a daily driver. I don't track my car so I'd gladly give up some raw performance in exchange for more relaxed high speed cruising. It's all personal preference but anyone cross-shopping a Q60S with the M3/4 will likely notice the difference rather quickly.

Having said that, I doubt the Q60S is intended to compete with M3/4, ATS-V, etc. That job will fall to the IPL/Eau Rouge version.

2015 BMW M3 Manual Long-Term Test ? Review ? Car and Driver
"That the above scenario never, ever happens, at least not for us. Instead, living with the M3 means enduring the drama of its carbon-ceramic brakes, which repeatedly frighten us when they get wet and pedal feel vanishes, even as BMW is adamant that they are working properly. It also means suffering a loud, bone-jarring ride that cannot be ameliorated, even by switching the adjustable suspension into Comfort mode. It means listening to the muffler do its best impersonation of a garbage disposal filled with rocks when we start the car in the morning, even after multiple visits to service. It means that by this time in our test, some editors are as tired of the car as the car is tired, even if we all still love the way it looks and performs."
Old 01-19-2016, 02:26 PM
tag824

Originally Posted by AZ37
Driving for me is a little more than just raw numbers. I'll wait to see how the Q60S performs on the road. I don't think it's a valid comparison but the BMW M3 apparently isn't all that great as a daily driver. I don't track my car so I'd gladly give up some raw performance in exchange for more relaxed high speed cruising. It's all personal preference but anyone cross-shopping a Q60S with the M3/4 will likely notice the difference rather quickly.

Having said that, I doubt the Q60S is intended to compete with M3/4, ATS-V, etc. That job will fall to the IPL/Eau Rouge version.

2015 BMW M3 Manual Long-Term Test ? Review ? Car and Driver
"That the above scenario never, ever happens, at least not for us. Instead, living with the M3 means enduring the drama of its carbon-ceramic brakes, which repeatedly frighten us when they get wet and pedal feel vanishes, even as BMW is adamant that they are working properly. It also means suffering a loud, bone-jarring ride that cannot be ameliorated, even by switching the adjustable suspension into Comfort mode. It means listening to the muffler do its best impersonation of a garbage disposal filled with rocks when we start the car in the morning, even after multiple visits to service. It means that by this time in our test, some editors are as tired of the car as the car is tired, even if we all still love the way it looks and performs."
Anyone who gets carbon-ceramic brakes should not expect them to be quiet. CCB are not quiet on any car and if you live in cold climate areas are worthless if you DD the car. BMW got a lot of flack from everyone about the $h!tty sounding exhaust note of the M3/4 and quietly updated it on 2016 models. It still doesn't sound great, but it's better than before. None of those reasons would dissuade me from getting the car, but I'll take the M2 instead. It's nearly the same 0-60, since it's a smaller car will probably handle better, the exhaust sounds better and it's $14k less than the M4 and comes nearly fully equipped. Yes please!

Quick Reply: Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit