G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 G37x 40K Miles - Oil change at certified dealer causing knocking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 12:19 PM
I2ISKK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 G37x 40K Miles - Oil change at certified dealer causing knocking noise?

Hi Guys,

This is my first post on this forum, I have just recently purchased a 2011 g37x with 40k miles on it. I purchased it in NJ but live in PA so I had to get the car inspected after switching it over PA. Since I was getting it inspected at the Infiniti dealer anyways I figured I might as well do a fresh oil change. I drove the car for about 600 miles after the oil change and noticed that it started to make a knocking noise. I know for certain that the noise was not there when I purchased the car. I'm attaching a link for the video, you can best hear it starting at 10 seconds. Also, I apologize for that weird hissing sound, I have no idea what that is and I really hope that's not how I breathe lol.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I want to go get it checked out but I don't want to go back to that same dealership.

Edit:

Seems to be similar to this but not exactly sure, someone else posted same issue on this thread.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ing-noise.html

I think it sounds more like this

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...ed-help-3.html

After researching on the second post I think it may be the purge valve, on that thread there is a way to check. Will keep you guys updated after I check it out.

Last edited by I2ISKK; 12-21-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:39 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by I2ISKK
Hi Guys,

This is my first post on this forum, I have just recently purchased a 2011 g37x with 40k miles on it. I purchased it in NJ but live in PA so I had to get the car inspected after switching it over PA. Since I was getting it inspected at the Infiniti dealer anyways I figured I might as well do a fresh oil change. I drove the car for about 600 miles after the oil change and noticed that it started to make a knocking noise. I know for certain that the noise was not there when I purchased the car. I'm attaching a link for the video, you can best hear it starting at 10 seconds. Also, I apologize for that weird hissing sound, I have no idea what that is and I really hope that's not how I breathe lol.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I want to go get it checked out but I don't want to go back to that same dealership.

Edit:

Seems to be similar to this but not exactly sure, someone else posted same issue on this thread.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ing-noise.html

I think it sounds more like this

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...ed-help-3.html

After researching on the second post I think it may be the purge valve, on that thread there is a way to check. Will keep you guys updated after I check it out.
Was this vehicle ever in a flood?

Hurricane Sandy damaged over 400,000 vehicles.

I hope yours wasn't one of them.

Telcoman
Old 12-22-2014, 07:34 AM
I2ISKK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: I tried to look for the purge valve and test it because another forum post had said to do so but I suck so I couldn't determine if that was the issue or not. I think i am just going to call the dealership and explain to them that the issue started only after getting my oil changed there. Kinda scared to go back but not sure what else to do.

telcoman: To my knowledge the car was not in a flood. I looked at some of the bolts for corrosion and they looked pretty normal. It's in surprisingly good condition for 40k miles, barely even any scratches.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:59 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Could the car have had Nissan Ester Oil in it originally, and the dealership put in Dino oil on the oil change?

The Ester oil is Infiniti's official "fix" for engine "knock" from what I've read.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
Could the car have had Nissan Ester Oil in it originally, and the dealership put in Dino oil on the oil change?

The Ester oil is Infiniti's official "fix" for engine "knock" from what I've read.
^^this^^ or not fully filled