Sponsored By:

Help?! - Cruise Control Unresponsive, "SET" Light Flashes ON/OFF

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 01:52 PM
doubleoerik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help?! - Cruise Control Unresponsive, "SET" Light Flashes ON/OFF

2008 G37S coupe, original owner, ~40k miles, all options except NAV

I've done a bit of searching and can't seem to find much technical information on this issue. From what I've been able to find it sounds like others have had the same (or a similar) issue. Note that I'm looking for some technical guidance/advice as opposed to a recommendation to bring the car to the dealership. Thanks for any/all help in advance!

Somewhat frequently, when I start the car, the "CRUISE" light is illuminated and the "SET" light flashes (ON/OFF cycles every ~1 second). When this occurs the steering wheel controls (for cruise) are unresponsive. I don't have the wipers on, my VDC is not disabled, and I'm not outside of the allowable cruise control speed range. Shutting the engine off and restarting the car will occasionally fix the problem but on a number of occasions it hasn't. This doesn't happen every time I drive the car but lately it's been happening multiple times a week (I usually drive the car twice a day to/from work).

Unfortunately the car was in an accident (not my fault!) about a year and a half ago and the front end underwent somewhat significant repairs. With only 40k miles on the car I can't help but think that this issue is related to the rework. It may not be, but I'm suspicious. The steering wheel was replaced after the accident since the air bag deployed.

I read in another post that the clutch and/or brake pedal sensors might be flaking out - can anyone provide a little more detail on where these sensors are and how I might troubleshoot? I have a fluke 87V and I'm comfortable working on (and troubleshooting) cars, I'm just not incredibly familiar with the electrical system in this particular car.

Any other suggestions for things to check? Would this throw a code that the dealer could read? I have a cheap code reader but really don't want to bring the car to the dealer - I'm happy to buy a better reader that will allow for advanced troubleshooting if someone can point me to some units to check out.

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails Help?! - Cruise Control Unresponsive, "SET" Light Flashes ON/OFF-2008_g37s_cruiseflash.jpg  
Old 11-29-2014, 02:22 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a 2008 6MT and I've had this problem going on ~3 years now. It happens once in a while and I can't figure out what triggers it. Told my dealer about it but they couldn't figure out what's wrong. There are times when it comes on for 2-3 days while driving and then it won't go on again for a few weeks/ month.

My car has never been in an accident and I have about 45XXX miles.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:47 PM
TX 370GT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had this problem with my G when it was under warranty. Took it to Sewell Infiniti in Dallas. They were able to contact Infiniti who recommended replacing the brake switch. No issues after that. But they were able to find out it had been reported and there was a recommended fix.
The following users liked this post:
lownslow (11-29-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 12:03 AM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
I had this problem and was posting in another thread. A forum member was sure it was that the upper clutch switch (the one that disengages the cruise control) on it's way out. He said to replace that and it'll be fine. I ended up adjusting my pedal and switch and it stopped acting up. I'll replace the switch when it warms up, but for now it's sorted, so I'm going to ride it out as long as I can.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:01 PM
spinna001

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
If you still under warranty take it to dealer. I too also had the same issue. I think it was a switch by the pedals. Dealer replaced all in my case.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:31 PM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by doubleoerik

[Snip]

Note that I'm looking for some technical guidance/advice as opposed to a recommendation to bring the car to the dealership.

[Snip]
Quoted OP for the previous poster.

Yes, "Take it to the dealer" seems to be what ends the hundreds of previous threads on this subject. Problem is that that answer doesn't offer any info! In my case, I don't have a warranty, and I'm not going to pay dealership cost for what ended up being a 10 minute DIY job.