Strange sound on start up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 05:48 AM
D1G1taL
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange sound on start up!

Comrads, hello!
In the beginning, i want to forgive for my grammatic, because im wrote from Russia,Moscow. =)

So my probmlem in following:
When I start my g37s( 2008 ), a have a mettalic clang, as if valve clanging. But it's only when engine is warm up. On cold start up,all ok.
Im drive, stay on road, off car, then start up and 1-2 seconds it's clang...
And this is clang.. how it say.. Its periodic. In the morning i go to the station, but always be ok, no clang.. And in temprutare 0, -5 degrease C. Winter period..

The car has no check engine, by obd scanner its no errors too.
300km ago I do a big service reglament. Change: oil,candels and other.. And the car has no some problem with acceleration or with something else. But what is the sound its? can you help me?

On my local forum, a find some same problems with FX37S. When on start they have same clang. But what is does allbody didnt know..

I hope you understand,what i wrote.

And in the end, i give you video with that problem.
Clang on 6-7 seconds..
In ideally listen with headphones.

Thx!

Last edited by D1G1taL; 11-18-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:07 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Couldn't hear much w/ the video clip
As far as noises on start up, one of the main culprits is the catalytic convertor heat shields, they're prone to rattle, and especially at start up.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:48 AM
pcwd

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 2010 G37S coupe. Had the same clanging noise on start up when the temperature is around -5C and below since brand new. Others on this forum had the same noise. Here is a link:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...-start-up.html

My car spent 10 days at the dealership back in 2010 when it was brand new, they worked with Infiniti engineers and still could not figured out where the noise is coming from. They offered to replace the short block on the engine!

I told them no way in a brand new car!!

I learned to live with it. Car still drives fine to this day.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:05 AM
D1G1taL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by pcwd
I have a 2010 G37S coupe. Had the same clanging noise on start up when the temperature is around -5C and below since brand new. Others on this forum had the same noise. Here is a link:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...-start-up.html

My car spent 10 days at the dealership back in 2010 when it was brand new, they worked with Infiniti engineers and still could not figured out where the noise is coming from. They offered to replace the short block on the engine!

I told them no way in a brand new car!!

I learned to live with it. Car still drives fine to this day.
Thx for your answer.
I read topic,what you sent to me.. And i understand, that the problem doesnt fixed by anyone..

Some guy even replace the engine Oo and doesnt fixed it..

Do you try ester oil ? Nissan or Motul, etc ?

Have you stock intake system? On my G it's Injen full ramp,maybe its reason?
Maybe bad gasoline ? You wiil be laught but in our country we have bad quality.. but i prefer BP..

Or its specific of work VVEL and VQ37 in subzero temprutare ?

Do not think that I'm crazy, but i very love cars, and when something broken or smt how it clank.. Im very sad and in my mind panic )
Old 11-18-2014, 10:07 AM
D1G1taL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Couldn't hear much w/ the video clip
As far as noises on start up, one of the main culprits is the catalytic convertor heat shields, they're prone to rattle, and especially at start up.
Take headphones and you will hear it.
No-no, I have not a first car and I can distinguish shields sound and engine sound.

to regret have a good hearing
Old 11-18-2014, 10:15 AM
pcwd

My car was brand new at the time. Everything was stock. Nissan Ester oil was put into my car and the clanging noise was still happening. Noise goes away when the outside temperature warms up in spring/summer.

Noise also goes away if you drive your car into a warm underground parking garage in winter.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:23 AM
D1G1taL
Registered Member

So.. I must learn to live with it ? =(
Old 11-18-2014, 11:09 AM
D1G1taL
Registered Member

pcwd
Say please, you will go to dealer with that problem, he will inspected your car by few days, and what his conclusion was ? Why its clank appears ?

When I start engine with that clank,i think,that follow in road,my engine will broken ))

Last edited by D1G1taL; 11-18-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:32 AM
pcwd

As stated in my previous posts, the dealership and Infiniti engineers did not figured out what or why the noise is happening. They simply put Nissan ester oil into my engine and sent me on my way. Told me to monitor the noise to see if it goes away after 500 kms. So far after 3 years, I still have the noise.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:41 AM
D1G1taL
Registered Member

Thx to you, i will be more calm with it...
In what state you live ? If it isnt secret.. You same me, have - summer(+20- +35 C ) ,autumn,winter( -10 - -35 C),spring ?
Because it starts in autumn,and now starting winter, i think car cant adaptive normaly to it!
Old 11-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Black_G37S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by D1G1taL
Comrads, hello!
In the beginning, i want to forgive for my grammatic, because im wrote from Russia,Moscow. =)

So my probmlem in following:
When I start my g37s( 2008 ), a have a mettalic clang, as if valve clanging. But it's only when engine is warm up. On cold start up,all ok.
Im drive, stay on road, off car, then start up and 1-2 seconds it's clang...
And this is clang.. how it say.. Its periodic. In the morning i go to the station, but always be ok, no clang.. And in temprutare 0, -5 degrease C. Winter period..

The car has no check engine, by obd scanner its no errors too.
300km ago I do a big service reglament. Change: oil,candels and other.. And the car has no some problem with acceleration or with something else. But what is the sound its? can you help me?

On my local forum, a find some same problems with FX37S. When on start they have same clang. But what is does allbody didnt know..

I hope you understand,what i wrote.

And in the end, i give you video with that problem.
Clang on 6-7 seconds..
In ideally listen with headphones.

Thx!

IMG 1279 - YouTube

Based on the video, to me the noise came from the solenoid in the ignition starter. Other factors might be some metal parts expanding when the engine is heating up. With those extremely cold temperature, of course all metals will contract and expand when heated.

If the sound also happens in summer time then you can eliminate the metal contracting/expanding issue. If this is the case then I'm sure it comes from the solenoid in the ignition starter. This is normal because the solenoid contains a metal rod that moving inside a copper coil. When the rod moves in side the copper coil, it will generate electricity to ignite the engine and also it makes a noise sounds like "click, click"
Old 11-18-2014, 03:54 PM
D1G1taL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black_G37S
Based on the video, to me the noise came from the solenoid in the ignition starter. Other factors might be some metal parts expanding when the engine is heating up. With those extremely cold temperature, of course all metals will contract and expand when heated.

If the sound also happens in summer time then you can eliminate the metal contracting/expanding issue. If this is the case then I'm sure it comes from the solenoid in the ignition starter. This is normal because the solenoid contains a metal rod that moving inside a copper coil. When the rod moves in side the copper coil, it will generate electricity to ignite the engine and also it makes a noise sounds like "click, click"
So.. you think it's a starter ? At summer and warp waeather i didnt see this artifact..

In the end of the day I heard this "clack-clack" only once.. When I went from work, car was 100% cold. Start with out any sounds.. Then, when I run to my freind,and car stay near 1 hour on street, temrutare near -5 C , when i came back and start up, suddenly it was this sound. Because engine doesnt cool on all scale, arrow of engine temperature was on 1/4. Then I go to the gasoline station and fill my car. More this sound I havent heard, when start my car..

If it wiil be starter or maybe somthing else mechanic it must manifest itself on cold engine... when the oil pressure insufficient yet...
And i didnt understand why its clancking on warm engine and cold weather

So, i didnt know what is does..

Ps. Hah, you have 3-54 PM and my time is midnight