G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Backup Camera Out of Position

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 11:08 AM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
It's not pushed in; mine looks the same.

The edge is a bit rough but the fact that I never noticed it before means it's not something really visible.

Excuse the orange appearance; the car is red but with the iPhone flash...
Attached Thumbnails Backup Camera Out of Position-g37-camera.jpg  
Old 11-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Blazin383

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmfnla
It's not pushed in; mine looks the same.

The edge is a bit rough but the fact that I never noticed it before means it's not something really visible.

Excuse the orange appearance; the car is red but with the iPhone flash...
But I don't see an open gap at the bottom on yours like mine has.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:25 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Blazin383
So that's definately a gap of empty space that leads to the hollow of the spoiler (not a shadow in the picture). Can you shine a light in there to see what you can see?
Old 11-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Jestered
Premier Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm guessing it's actually a shadow and not an opening into the spoiler. I was putting on a license plate frame just now and remembered this thread, so I checked my camera. Mine sits the same way as the pictures that have been posted in this thread. My car is black and it looked like I also had an open gap into the spoiler, but when I grabbed a flash light and looked at it, there's no gap, just shadow.

I've always noticed that I was able to see a bit of my rear bumper in the rearview cam video, but my car is black so it doesn't stand out as much as the white car does. Also, if you look at the OP's picture, you'll notice the graphical guide lines stop at the bumper in the picture, which is another possible clue that the camera is aligned exactly how it was meant to be.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Blazin383

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
So that's definately a gap of empty space that leads to the hollow of the spoiler (not a shadow in the picture). Can you shine a light in there to see what you can see?
It's definately a gap. I've put some little tools through there in an attempt to see if the camera would pull back out. I'd say the gap is about 1/16" to 1/8" wide, and could allow water to enter the void of the spoiler if sprayed directly at the camera.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:39 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
We've established that it's an OEM spolier already. However, was it added afterwards, or did it come from the factory with the spolier?
Old 11-20-2014, 11:49 AM
toddmorr

Its definitely pushed in a bit..mine has the same problem, and the same visual. A couple years ago my son pushed on it, thinking that would pop the trunk open, and in doing so, pushed it in same as yours.
for a while I tried to get the factory spoiler off, in order to push the camera back to sitting flush with the edge but couldn't figure that out, and just gave up. Just got used to the somewhat off camera angle.
If someone knows how to remove the spoiler easily and cleanly, I'd give it another go.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:52 AM
toddmorr

It's definately a gap. I've put some little tools through there in an attempt to see if the camera would pull back out. I'd say the gap is about 1/16" to 1/8" wide, and could allow water to enter the void of the spoiler if sprayed directly at the camera.
i tried the exact same thing, trying to get a little tool in there and behind the camera, to pull it back out. no luck.
my gap same as yours, no water leaks and its been at least 3 yrs.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:03 PM
rmfnla

Sorry, I couldn't tell from your pic.

Doesn't the spoiler just bolt onto the trunk lid?
Old 11-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Pnrymmf
Premier Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I recently added a factory rear spoiler to my 2013 vert and my camera doesnt have that line because of the cut out. it sounds like the camera didnt get mounted well and when you washed it it pushed it out of position and to have so many others with the same view it might be a flaw in design or something. Maybe there is additional support that doesnt always get installed. Everytime i put something together i almost always have left over srews or parts even if im not suppose to. lol
Old 11-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Blazin383

Originally Posted by rmfnla
Sorry, I couldn't tell from your pic.

Doesn't the spoiler just bolt onto the trunk lid?
From the research I've done, sounds like the spoiler has two bolts, but is also stuck on with heavy duty two sided tape that I'm sure would be a nightmare to get off cleanly!
Guess I'll just live with the situation as it is and try to be careful about spraying water at the camera. Maybe a thin application of clear silicone to seal the gap a little better.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:05 PM
rmfnla

From the research I've done, sounds like the spoiler has two bolts, but is also stuck on with heavy duty two sided tape that I'm sure would be a nightmare to get off cleanly!
Guess I'll just live with the situation as it is and try to be careful about spraying water at the camera. Maybe a thin application of clear silicone to seal the gap a little better.
A hair dryer will help here if you decide to try to fix it...