Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

RWD Coupe in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 06:50 PM
ajosowiecky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RWD Coupe in the snow?

Hi all, ive been looking towards a new car for the past few months, and ive narrowed it down to the 2010-2011 BMW 335xi coupe, or the 2009-2011 G37 coupe. Regardless with what i chose, it has to be manual. However, as im sure you all the know the AWD g37s are only available as an automatic. The problem is, i live in north jersey, so the winters up here can be pretty bad. Im wondering about how well it will preform in the snow, if i put some winter tires (like blizzaks) on it. Ive seen 335xis driving through a foot or more, no problem, but again thats AWD.
Id just like to hear from any of you that have had the experience of the rwd coupe in the snow.
Thanks,
Alex
Old 09-29-2014, 07:22 PM
dholmblad
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dont plan on driving in the snow with a rwd..
Old 09-29-2014, 07:44 PM
Neddy_G37

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As a guy who has driven a variety of sports cars in the snow with summer and winter tires, I can tell you this. IF the road is plowed or there is less than 2 inches on the streets, you will be fine. Take your time, plan 5-8 car lengths in advance, and avoid hills (up or down). Blizzaks help tremendously but physics always wins. I drove from DC to my home 35 miles away in 3 inches of packed snow in my 95 Corvette with 315 tires out back. They were Bridgestone Potenza Re730s. NOT a winter tire by any means. Made it. Scary as hell but made it.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:18 PM
bassy
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I have had experience driving RWD cars with snow tires. It depends on what kind of car it is. If it is a well-balanced car, like the RX-8, which has a 50/50 weight distribution, you'll be able to get around with no more than 4-5 inches of snow on the ground AND with good snow tires. If it is a RWD G37, which is very nose heavy, it is no fun driving in the snow, even with just 2-3 inches of snow and good snow tires. A nose-heavy RWD car makes handling very unpredictable in the snow.

I got rid of my RWD G37 coupe and am driving an AWD G37 coupe now. And I don't even have snow tires on my AWD G37.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:48 PM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
If you have RWD with snow tires, and don't drive like a maniac, you'll be ok. Not everyone has money to throw at an extra car for the snow. The plus side is that you will be able to have a bit more control with the MT.

I haven't had the pleasure of driving my RWD 6MT coupe in snow with snow tires. In fact, I've only driven with summer tires for about 1 day when Atlanta was crippled earlier this year with some crazy ice.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:13 AM
kyle_350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in Central PA, similar weather to jersey, ordered a pair of Dunlop winter maxx tires last winter and had them installed on the stock sport package rims, 245/45/19 all around. My G is rwd. I was in a bind and couldn't find a tire that had matching OEM sizes, but these tires never rubbed anyway. They worked flawlessly in a few inches of snow, even when making my own tracks on unplowed, very hilly roads. I put two 80lb sand bags in the trunk just to help. Dunlop winter maxx are dedicated snow tires, not all seasons, not performance winter tires, so they do the job.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:35 AM
Black_G37S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada and I drive my G37S coupe to Whistler Mountain for snowboarding every year. Of course I have winter tires installed every winter. With our G, when one of the wheel slips, the engine will reduce the output power to prevent further sliding so it helps a lot too. I remember I used to drive my 89 240SX coupe to Cypress Mountain for snowboarding all the time too. One key thing to remember when driving under the snow is do not accelerate fast, know your car well, and be calm then you're gonna be ok.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:58 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
The problem is (that everyone overlooks) is yes, if you are careful and baby it and do all the right things (blah, blah blah) you should be fine. BUT ... no one talks about what you have to do if the other other guy does something stupid and you have to take quick, evasive action ... in that case, you are off the road.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:10 PM
SantaClawz

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
The problem is (that everyone overlooks) is yes, if you are careful and baby it and do all the right things (blah, blah blah) you should be fine. BUT ... no one talks about what you have to do if the other other guy does something stupid and you have to take quick, evasive action ... in that case, you are off the road.
This is why you leave a few car lengths between the car in front of you and yourself. Leaving plenty of room, and driving according to road conditions (go slow) and you are good to go.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Kirkules

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And if the extra car lengths aren't enough when the other guy gets stupid, probably doesn't matter what you are driving anyway. Remember too - the answer to this question is different in ice - then it doesn't matter RWD, FWD or 4WD. Used to drive a Z in the snow because like sprix said - could only afford one car. Kyle_350Z is right about extra weight too - old school trick when everything was RWD and most of it with an open dif.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:46 PM
SantaClawz

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am in Ontario Canada and my G is my only car. I slap on winter tires and it's good to go all winter.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:54 PM
pbaptiste6133

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rwd in snow

I live in north jersey also and had dunlop summer tires on for one winter and it was scary..i switched to continental DWS (dry.wet.snow) and thats an all season tire and no issues with the past winter we had..traction was good in about 3 to 4 inches of snow,and as with any weather condition you have to increase your following distance ..never had any close calls or any spin outs the entire winter.. if you are not an aggressive driver you will should be fine with a good set of winter tires.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:09 AM
MHO14225

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of winter tires do you have?

Originally Posted by SantaClawz
I am in Ontario Canada and my G is my only car. I slap on winter tires and it's good to go all winter.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:04 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by SantaClawz
This is why you leave a few car lengths between the car in front of you and yourself. Leaving plenty of room, and driving according to road conditions (go slow) and you are good to go.
Well of course ...DUH, I'm talking about the guy that's sliding into from the side, etc ... you can't go through a winter and blindly think you will never have to make an evasive manuver. I've driven in snow climates all my life (40 years worth of driving now) so I'm well versed on winter driving situations. Like Clint said, "Do you feel lucky"
Old 10-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Andy11

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
best recommendation even after having a full set of blizzaks on my 6mt coupe..... buy a beater jeep for the winter.

Quick Reply: RWD Coupe in the snow?