G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

RWD Coupe in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 11:04 AM
rhdh104

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a g37x coupe. We got 65 inches of snow last year. I have a steep driveway...One day, I was able to drive right up it with zero slip.... thru 14" of snow. I was on oem 18" dunlop tires with maybe 5/32 left. AWD all the way!
Old 10-06-2014, 12:51 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
Varies state to state - I'm not familiar with the specifics of each state though I just know most states are set at 2/32" for the legal minimum. It also depends on if you are at fault. If you slide into someone and they notice your tires are below the legal specs, you will be responsible due to negligence.

In your case, you were not at fault, so the tires would not make you any more responsible.

Just wanted people to be aware of this possibility and make their own informed choice since we do live in the USA (United Suers of America)
True dat yo. LoL

I really don't know what that law is here either. But I was a little worried cuz like I said...they were basically slicks! I have actually never seen such even wear on tires before! LoL
Old 10-07-2014, 11:34 AM
TimWare
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for those who only have occasional snow, like in the South, tires will definitely be deciding factor on whether you get home or not when snow event starts. Now, we would never run snow tires here, but in my experience of 10 years with the G35, the Continental DWS were absolutely awesome. I can't wait to get them on my new '13.

I wouldn't advise going back out on DWS, but they will most likely get you home safely. They are also great in wet. In dry under heavy cornering, the sidewall can feel a bit mushy and vague, but they are very predictable.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by TimWare
for those who only have occasional snow, like in the South, tires will definitely be deciding factor on whether you get home or not when snow event starts. Now, we would never run snow tires here, but in my experience of 10 years with the G35, the Continental DWS were absolutely awesome. I can't wait to get them on my new '13.

I wouldn't advise going back out on DWS, but they will most likely get you home safely. They are also great in wet. In dry under heavy cornering, the sidewall can feel a bit mushy and vague, but they are very predictable.
+1 on DWS. I had them on my former car which was FWD and the difference from these and my Falken all season tires was night and day. No one is arguing these as a snow tire replacement, but they are an excellent all season tire.

I see a lot of people complain about "mushy" sidewall as well, but they are usually the same people who complain that a moderate drop is too harsh. The "mushier" sidewall helps absorb bumps and make the ride tolerable on a lower profile tire. With that being said, moving into the same size DWS tire greatly improved the ride quality.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:29 PM
TimWare
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True, in 10s of thousands of miles, I maybe felt the 'mushy sidewall' about 3-4 times on an exit ramp at speeds that were a bit much to ask of any tire, much less an all season. I wouldn't have even mentioned the sidewall from my experience, but it always gets mentioned when the DWS is suggested. It's truly the most well rounded (tire pun not intended) All Season performance tire I've ever used. And, they are a pretty good value.. when you can find stock in the size you want. Seems like we can go months in backorder here since they come from Europe.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Kirkules

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimWare
for those who only have occasional snow, like in the South, tires will definitely be deciding factor on whether you get home or not when snow event starts.
In last winter's snow in Atlanta the only problem I had was on ice. The all-weather tires did fine. I even went back out to pick up dinner. The biggest local problem was, as 2008G_Man said, the other driver. Expect your car to slide some, be prepared for it, don't over react. Add that to good tires and you should be fine.