G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

RWD Coupe in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Tachyon

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a G37s coupe and with Blizzak LM-60s I was passing FWD cars up and down the palisades last winter with no issue. My job requires that I be there even during snow storms so I didn't really have a choice. I have video if your interested lol

The trickiest part was when I would be forced to parallel park on a hill in Manhattan.... But Cat litter and a little back and forth got it out in about 5 Minutes. I would recommend that you get separate winter wheels and not just tires. I purchased the Blizzaks on 18s rims (225 45 18) and I believe the thinner smaller wheels made a big difference. Although there aren't many 18" wheels that clear the BBK so your options there are limited.

Regardless if you get the BMW or the G I would recommend snow tires. The most dangerous part of driving in the snow isn't getting stuck its not being able to stop. The difference between stopping in snow or ice with dedicated snows is night and day. I'll probably never drive another winter without them. Ok I'm done now sorry for the rant lol
Old 10-02-2014, 03:53 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
I used to drive a Trans Am in snow..no issues. I even drove with summer tires and still had no issues. I think if you realize you need to take it easy and drive like there is snow on the ground (cuz there will be) you should be fine. Not to mention the traction control in the coupe is really good so I think you should be ok...just drive like you got some since! LoL
Old 10-02-2014, 04:52 PM
kyle_350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like Tachyon said, dedicated snow tires make a night and day difference. I could NOT believe the performance of mine. It took a good amount of throttle to get traction light to flash. Snow tires aren't recommended above 40-50 degrees because they wear out very quick because the special compound is meant for cold.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:15 PM
sydnrusty
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i live in canada right across the border from detroit, mi. 45 minute commute one-way to work in good weather (highway driving). i have a g37s 6mt. swap out my stock rims/ tires for snow tires when the weather turns. 2 winters done (including last winter which was BRUTAL) with zero issues. biggest concern is clearance when the snow is heavy (i'm lowered a bit on eibach springs). traction has not been a problem. just use common sense and drive according to the conditions. you'll be fine.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts
Just a tip, replace your winter tires after you're worn down to 4/32"

2 of my old Blizzak LM-25 (think about how long ago they stopped making them) are around 2/32". They sucked ***** in more than 4" of snow last winter. T'was I choice I made since I knew I wouldn't be driving much last winter.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by Dough1397
Just a tip, replace your winter tires after you're worn down to 4/32"

2 of my old Blizzak LM-25 (think about how long ago they stopped making them) are around 2/32". They sucked ***** in more than 4" of snow last winter. T'was I choice I made since I knew I wouldn't be driving much last winter.
According to most states' laws, tires are legally worn out when they have worn down to 2/32" of remaining tread depth. You can actually get into legal problems if you are involved in an accident with those tires, especially if there is a serious injury or fatality.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:43 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
According to most states' laws, tires are legally worn out when they have worn down to 2/32" of remaining tread depth. You can actually get into legal problems if you are involved in an accident with those tires, especially if there is a serious injury or fatality.
That is of course if the adjuster looks at that. I live in Cali...one of the strictest states for everything, and I got into an accident in my last car. It wasn't at all my fault but I did have the adjuster come to the house and check out my car. In his inspection, he did check my tires which I must admit looked like racing slicks! I am by no means condoning the neglect of your tires, but I'm just saying.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:32 AM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by ajosowiecky
Hi all, ive been looking towards a new car for the past few months, and ive narrowed it down to the 2010-2011 BMW 335xi coupe, or the 2009-2011 G37 coupe. Regardless with what i chose, it has to be manual. However, as im sure you all the know the AWD g37s are only available as an automatic. The problem is, i live in north jersey, so the winters up here can be pretty bad. Im wondering about how well it will preform in the snow, if i put some winter tires (like blizzaks) on it. Ive seen 335xis driving through a foot or more, no problem, but again thats AWD.
Id just like to hear from any of you that have had the experience of the rwd coupe in the snow.
Thanks,
Alex
I drove an SS Camaro and a GT Mustang through almost a decade of Missouri snow with no ill effects. Granted its not as easy as a front wheel drive car but if you learn to handle the car properly and don't do anything stupid, you should be fine.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:34 AM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
The problem is (that everyone overlooks) is yes, if you are careful and baby it and do all the right things (blah, blah blah) you should be fine. BUT ... no one talks about what you have to do if the other other guy does something stupid and you have to take quick, evasive action ... in that case, you are off the road.
True, but whether your in a front wheel drive car or a rear wheel drive car your just as "off the road"
Old 10-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
That is of course if the adjuster looks at that. I live in Cali...one of the strictest states for everything, and I got into an accident in my last car. It wasn't at all my fault but I did have the adjuster come to the house and check out my car. In his inspection, he did check my tires which I must admit looked like racing slicks! I am by no means condoning the neglect of your tires, but I'm just saying.
Varies state to state - I'm not familiar with the specifics of each state though I just know most states are set at 2/32" for the legal minimum. It also depends on if you are at fault. If you slide into someone and they notice your tires are below the legal specs, you will be responsible due to negligence.

In your case, you were not at fault, so the tires would not make you any more responsible.

Just wanted people to be aware of this possibility and make their own informed choice since we do live in the USA (United Suers of America)
Old 10-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
Great point Ryne, I did not consider any legal issues regarding my decision to run those tires last year.

I believe I did start with 4/32" a year ago and that was hairy at times, then I likely ate through them come spring as I knew they were done.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by Dough1397
Great point Ryne, I did not consider any legal issues regarding my decision to run those tires last year.

I believe I did start with 4/32" a year ago and that was hairy at times, then I likely ate through them come spring as I knew they were done.
No problem, it would suck to get into a sticky situation without even knowing the consequences.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Temptones1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
If you know how to drive in the snow you'll be fine. I put some weight in my trunk and have HP all season tires. Big Snow? Fogeddabodit ! Just wait till the snow melts a bit and the streets are more clear....It's a SPORTS CAR and it's LOW to the ground. That's what kills it, the tires are easily remedied but the ground clearance is not.
I've had RX7, RX8, Audi TT, Camaros, Cadillac CTS, Audi A4 which was AWD and they were all about the same. Never got badly stuck after I left my driveway. The worst place is the driveway unless you clear it every time.The A4 was the best in snow and most boring ride. The rest were much more fun.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:09 PM
MusicLady54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my 2012 G37S Convertible in April and have not gone through the winter yet. I live in Toronto Canada and hope someone can point me in the right direction to purchase Winter rims and tires. Thoughts?
Old 10-06-2014, 08:33 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Tire Rack is awesome!

Quick Reply: RWD Coupe in the snow?