Sponsored By:

Royal Purple Oil, 5w30

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:00 PM
ExoDus3252

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Royal Purple Oil, 5w30

Quick question in regards to this oil.

I just went to a shop to have them change the oil. I bought a 5 quart jug of Royal Purple for them to put in. I checked the dip stick as soon as I got home, roughly 5 miles later, and there really isn't any hint of purple whatsoever on the oil. Just an amber color.

Question is, how long does it stay purple? And should I be heading back up there and throwing a **** fit because they took my oil and put in their garbage?
The following users liked this post:
BeachmanQ60 (05-31-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 07:12 PM
Pms1212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not long at all..10-15 minutes after driving,,,it looks reg.oil
Old 05-31-2014, 07:26 PM
ExoDus3252

Interesting. I've read other posts that others mentioned retaining the purple color for up to a few hundred miles. This is my first time switching to RP, though.

I am concerned only because the techs looked like high school dropouts who didn't give a damn about people's cars.

Oh, and also because the techs stained my driver side floor mats with grease while they were at it.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:45 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by ExoDus3252
Interesting. I've read other posts that others mentioned retaining the purple color for up to a few hundred miles. This is my first time switching to RP, though.

I am concerned only because the techs looked like high school dropouts who didn't give a damn about people's cars.

Oh, and also because the techs stained my driver side floor mats with grease while they were at it.
Do your own oil changes first off..... Secondly, I'd be hella angry if my carpet was stained. That's more worth b!tching about then the oil.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:56 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
I've used it and it does stay purple, you can see it on a paper towel when you wipe the dip-stick off. You just had the same thing happen that happened to me (at a Nissan dealership). The tech kept your Royal Purple and put either regular dino oil in or reg synthetic. You got ripped off my friend. I quit using Royal Purple as the expense wasn't worth it. If you investigate and find oil reports from people who had it tested it doesn't fair much better than regular synthetic, in some cases even worse. Change your oil at 3500 miles and the type of oil really doesn't matter (yeah I'm old school but that old school has had every car I've owned go well past 150k miles with zero oil burning engines)
Old 05-31-2014, 08:27 PM
malady

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
yeah don't bother with royal purple.

you can get better oils for cheaper, such as eneos.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:02 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm not sure if that was a shot at being sarcastic or...? ^ have you read up on eneos? Stuff's awful. If you already knew that and thus compared it to royal purple...well then, my mistake lol

Amsoil for piece of mind. Royal purple stays purple for quite sometime. It's noticeable even when you're changing it...as it's a dark red
Old 06-02-2014, 05:50 AM
08skyline

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't use royal purple I tired it once and notice some loss in horse to the point that I took it to the dealer to figure out why, they asked me what oil did I use I told them royal purple, and there GTR mechanic told me not to use royal purple due to it being to thick for the VVEL to operate properly causing the loss in power. So I changed it to Pennzoil Ultra to see if he was correct, and he was it was a big difference in power. The car I have is an 08 G37s coupe 5at.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:27 AM
2008G-Man

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
I've used it and it does stay purple, you can see it on a paper towel when you wipe the dip-stick off. You just had the same thing happen that happened to me (at a Nissan dealership). The tech kept your Royal Purple and put either regular dino oil in or reg synthetic. You got ripped off my friend. I quit using Royal Purple as the expense wasn't worth it. If you investigate and find oil reports from people who had it tested it doesn't fair much better than regular synthetic, in some cases even worse. Change your oil at 3500 miles and the type of oil really doesn't matter (yeah I'm old school but that old school has had every car I've owned go well past 150k miles with zero oil burning engines)
I would take your car back ASAP and talk to the Service Mgr. Let him know you were ripped off. at $7-8 per quart they owe you something. At least get the Tech in trouble. If they blow you off, tell them they leave you no choice other than to file a complaint with BBB.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:05 PM
ExoDus3252

Originally Posted by 08skyline
I wouldn't use royal purple I tired it once and notice some loss in horse to the point that I took it to the dealer to figure out why, they asked me what oil did I use I told them royal purple, and there GTR mechanic told me not to use royal purple due to it being to thick for the VVEL to operate properly causing the loss in power. So I changed it to Pennzoil Ultra to see if he was correct, and he was it was a big difference in power. The car I have is an 08 G37s coupe 5at.
I don't see how RP would be so thick as to lose horsepower from an engine. I used the factory recommended 5w30. I wanted to get some Redline oil this time around, but I had to get my oil change done before a trip I took.

As for being ripped off, I'm getting mixed reports. I read on BITOG that many users put in RP and wasn't purple very long, if at all. Something that had to do with residual oil in the motor, etc. As for the smell test, since RP apparently smells unique to other oils, I really can't tell. To me, it just smells like any synthetic oil I've used before.

The only reason I didn't change it myself is because I don't have a jack, jack-stands, etc. From now on I'm going to do it myself to avoid this issue.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:31 PM
2008G-Man

Originally Posted by ExoDus3252
I don't see how RP would be so thick as to lose horsepower from an engine. I used the factory recommended 5w30. I wanted to get some Redline oil this time around, but I had to get my oil change done before a trip I took.

As for being ripped off, I'm getting mixed reports. I read on BITOG that many users put in RP and wasn't purple very long, if at all. Something that had to do with residual oil in the motor, etc. As for the smell test, since RP apparently smells unique to other oils, I really can't tell. To me, it just smells like any synthetic oil I've used before.

The only reason I didn't change it myself is because I don't have a jack, jack-stands, etc. From now on I'm going to do it myself to avoid this issue.
I have used RP and it IS purple on the dip stick when you wipe it off. Do what you want with that info .... I know for sure I was ripped off because when I got home and checked the oil was light amber, just like a fresh regular oil change.