Sponsored By:

Unusual weatherstripping wear + leak - Bad Experience at Clarendon Hills, IL

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Dealerships are the worst. It seems you must pass an idiot exam to manage some of them. Is the loss of goodwill and bad publicity they've generated worth the cheap part and half hour (maybe) of labor? Hell no. No, it's not. But it seems this industry in general just doesn't get it.
If a single person reads this and decides to go somewhere else for even an oil change, they would have been better off comping the part. That's assuming warranty wouldn't cover it - which I find hard to believe.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:04 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Well, I have good news - I don't only spread the bad news, lol. I finally had some extra time and brought the car into Infiniti of Orland Park - they replaced the weatherstripping under warranty without any qualms. No comments or accusations were made towards me, it was really a breath of fresh air. I have since gone there for parts and warranty service and have received the same experience each time. Every time I have bought parts there they have offered me a discount. I can't attest to the sales side of their business, but they have won me over on the service side.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:11 PM
WhiteVQ37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not that this has anything to do with your post, but we should start a G car meet around our area.. Don't know many other people in our area. I'm in Naperville
Old 10-30-2014, 10:23 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by WhiteVQ37
Not that this has anything to do with your post, but we should start a G car meet around our area.. Don't know many other people in our area. I'm in Naperville
I work in Lemont and was actually out in Naperville today. Funny. Bugatti37 is also local and sent me a FaceBook page of locals that get together and meet. I agree we should get something put together, I'll PM you the FB page.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:37 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Probably not too many meets left. I usually keep an eye on the chicagoz.com site for local meets/cruises.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:23 AM
WhiteVQ37

Yeah, I figured there wouldn't be too many meets left this year since it's starting to get bad out there, but thanks for the website, I'll have to check that periodically.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:30 AM
WhiteVQ37

Is the Clarendon Hills dealer you're referring to the one on Ogden? Relatively new? I think that was the one that was located in Lisle previously. If it is, they are some pretty shady people. My Ex Gfs dad worked at the Volvo of Lisle right next door and I've heard some stories similar to this with warranty work at that dealer. Have you tried the Naperville dealer? How's your experience with them?
Old 10-31-2014, 04:48 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by WhiteVQ37
Is the Clarendon Hills dealer you're referring to the one on Ogden? Relatively new? I think that was the one that was located in Lisle previously. If it is, they are some pretty shady people. My Ex Gfs dad worked at the Volvo of Lisle right next door and I've heard some stories similar to this with warranty work at that dealer. Have you tried the Naperville dealer? How's your experience with them?
Yeah, that sounds like the store, it is relatively new and off Ogden. I haven't tried Naperville. After the poor experience at Clarendon Hills I wen't to Orland, much closer to my house, and they haven't given me a reason to try any other dealers. Hopefully it stays that way!
Old 10-31-2014, 06:02 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
Well, I have good news - I don't only spread the bad news, lol. I finally had some extra time and brought the car into Infiniti of Orland Park - they replaced the weatherstripping under warranty without any qualms. No comments or accusations were made towards me, it was really a breath of fresh air. I have since gone there for parts and warranty service and have received the same experience each time. Every time I have bought parts there they have offered me a discount. I can't attest to the sales side of their business, but they have won me over on the service side.

I just read thru the three pages of your dealer experience.
I'm glad things ended well for you.

I may be missing something however?

Originally Posted by Ryne
I forgot the best part. When they called me they asked me if I knew that my seats were swapped out. I said yes, of course. They then proceeded to tell me that the person that did the install damaged the weatherstripping and I should seek repair from them. I said "Hold on a second, I will transfer to the person who did the install. Hello, I installed the seats... I didn't hit anything." When I spoke to the GM he said the same thing to me. I told him I wanted him to put that on the receipt as the reason for declining repair and he refused to do so, probably knowing it wasn't legal.
Why would you swap out seats in a brand new vehicle that was under warranty?

I can't blame the dealer for not wanting to touch your vehicle after you did work like this yourself.
If the seats needed replacement the warranty would have covered it.

Just my $.02

Telcoman
Old 10-31-2014, 08:29 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by telcoman

I just read thru the three pages of your dealer experience.
I'm glad things ended well for you.

I may be missing something however?

Why would you swap out seats in a brand new vehicle that was under warranty?

I can't blame the dealer for not wanting to touch your vehicle after you did work like this yourself.
If the seats needed replacement the warranty would have covered it.

Just my $.02

Telcoman
I came across a set of like new sport seats at the right price. It's plug and play and not a related part. I'm well covered by Magnuson-Moss in this situation - no evidence on their part, purely speculation. If it was something I did, I would own up to it and pay for the part.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:15 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Did you ever ask the service manager how much time it would have taken to install the seats?

If it could have been done in an hour it might have been worth it to just watch them do it for you.
Seems like a lot of hassle to have done it yourself.

Telcoman
Old 11-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by telcoman
Did you ever ask the service manager how much time it would have taken to install the seats?

If it could have been done in an hour it might have been worth it to just watch them do it for you.
Seems like a lot of hassle to have done it yourself.

Telcoman
I didn't ask because it's an unlikely scenario. Most dealers don't understand that paddle shifters can be added, let alone a seat swap. I would have been quoted some ridiculous labor time at $125/hr. On top of this, I would have to take two 80 pound seats I had delivered to my friend's shop and bring them to the dealer, at their convenience.

What I did was much easier and much cheaper, and luckily the law supports my decision as well. We could go as far to say it would be less of a hassle to take our cars to the dealer for everything, oil changes, etc., but we don't have to. Why pay the dealer to do simple tasks I am well capable of? It wasn't a big hassle, I just had to go to a new dealer that complies with Federal laws - and it happens to be closer.