Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How do you accelerate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:02 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
First gear, rev it up to 2500-2750 and dump the clutch.. and let it kiss redline on every gear before shifting. That's the fastest way to accelerate, this is a silly thread.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 PM
MP87

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=Muujig612;3772309]
Originally Posted by MP87
Yep, I experimented and got some good learning from this event. I was able to get 4 runs in at Albuquerque dragway. Here is what I tried:

1st run, DS Mode, Roll onto the gas: 14.843 @ 95.246 MPH
2nd run, DS Mode, Floor it: 14.951 @ 95.096 MPH
3rd run, Manual Mode, Roll onto the gas: 15.313 @ 94.502
4th run, Manual Mode, Floor it: 15.017 @ 94.815

During the 4th run, I noticed that the computer really cut my power when I floored it outright.

So, you're saying that instantly flooring the gas pedal gives less performance and if I want the fastest times I should depress the gas pedal slowly in accordance to the engine RPM? Cause I kind of did notice a bit more pull when I did that

CONFUSED
With the stock tires yes. You are going to have to experiment with your car to see what gives you the best results.

You should keep in mind though, that if you were to replace your current tires with some stickier tires such as drag radials, then you would get the best performance from flooring the gas pedal instantly. The reason is that you would presumably not get any wheel slip and therefore the computer would not cut off any of your power.

Somebody at the track was mentioning that even the AWD models will put about 80% power to the rear wheels during a launch since his car was AWD. So you may very well still be experiencing wheel slip under hard acceleration from a dead stop. Although I don't know for a fact that this 80/20 split is true. Its just what he said.

In actual driving you wont feel the wheel slip since the computer is not allowing it to occur in the first place. You might hear a chirp, but that's about it. You know you are getting wheel slip when you floor it but it seems that the engine is lagging for a few seconds. That lag is the computer cutting some power and allowing the car to move forward a little bit before applying full power.

Disabling the VDC wont allow you to experience wheel slip either. Or at least that is the case in my particular model and year. I read that you have to remove a fuse from the fuse box to disable that feature altogether. Once you do, you will spin your wheels all day long if you floor it outright. You will then need to either roll onto the gas or get some higher performance tires such as drag radials to get a good launch. In addition to better tires, it's not uncommon to see people lower their tire pressure in the rear wheels to 20-25 PSI for better launches at the drag strip.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:24 AM
Muujig612

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just wondering whether VVEL technology of VQ37VHR is engaging too much at low RPM and choking the engine. Think about it, if there is too much AIR FUEL mixture at low RPM it would be more powerful than low air fuel mixture but it would take longer to combust, thus would create lag. NO?

Because I really did feel more pull when depressed gas pedal slowly in accordance with the RPM then instantly flooring it. And the drag runs of MP87 is showing better acceleration with this theory. no?

I just wanted to confirm this.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 PM
MP87

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Muujig612
I'm just wondering whether VVEL technology of VQ37VHR is engaging too much at low RPM and choking the engine. Think about it, if there is too much AIR FUEL mixture at low RPM it would be more powerful than low air fuel mixture but it would take longer to combust, thus would create lag. NO?

Because I really did feel more pull when depressed gas pedal slowly in accordance with the RPM then instantly flooring it. And the drag runs of MP87 is showing better acceleration with this theory. no?

I just wanted to confirm this.
I don't think it works that way. The chemical reaction going on in the cylinder is incredibly fast and you can't slow down its reaction rate with RPM.

Also, we know we aren't flooding the engine either since these motors are fuel injected and the throttle is electronically controlled. In other words, the computer won't ever flood the engine (running rich).

Try this experiment. Drive the car at 5 mile per hour and maintain a constant speed. Then try flooring the gas pedal instantly. Repeat the same procedure but this time roll onto the gas. Chances are you will notice roughly the same acceleration. Heck, flooring it instantly may now accelerate a tad bit faster.