Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Infiniti Consumer Affairs - poor experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 04:58 PM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
As far as durability goes, any used car could potentially be an issue. No engine is perfect, they all have flaws. This one could be fine for 200,000 miles, who knows what the failure rate is on this gasket? Who knows if they even used the bad gasket on the '12 MY? I know how well it has been maintained at least so there's that. In general I would say Nissan engines are more reliable than the industry average, would you not agree with that?
Old 12-12-2014, 01:36 PM
carnacious
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Been keeping an eye out on this thread, I've been considering redoing my the whole gasket for my engine. 2008 66k G37s 6MT.

I have 2 part numbers and I've tried looking at the difference but no luck. I was also wondering if these come with those 2 that vqsmile has posted.

Nissan Part# Year Price

A0101-EY04A 10/08-05/12 $205.51

A0A01-EY04A 06/12+ $229.27
Old 12-12-2014, 01:51 PM
vqsmile

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by carnacious
Been keeping an eye out on this thread, I've been considering redoing my the whole gasket for my engine. 2008 66k G37s 6MT.

I have 2 part numbers and I've tried looking at the difference but no luck. I was also wondering if these come with those 2 that vqsmile has posted.

Nissan Part# Year Price

A0101-EY04A 10/08-05/12 $205.51

A0A01-EY04A 06/12+ $229.27
I'm afraid that would be a dreadful idea.

There is no need, I repeat, NO NEED to replace all the gaskets in your engine. That is most definitely an over-reaction, especially since your car may not even have any gasket failure. Add to that the outrageous labor costs that you'd be facing to essentially tear down and reassemble your engine with new gaskets/seals. No, I'm afraid that is most certainly a very foolish idea.

If you really want to be proactive, then either install an oil pressure gauge and keep an eye on it, or just periodically measure it at the sensor.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:12 PM
carnacious
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its okay, Its not something I'm going to do all at once.
I have access to a non dealership labor so it wont be that bad (still bad though LOL).

I am eventually going to get forged internals, that's my plan for now anyways.
Car is paid off and I weighed the options trading it in for a new one but I just cant.

I've already downed 1500 for slave and master cylinder, might as well go all the way.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:29 PM
vqsmile

Originally Posted by carnacious

I am eventually going to get forged internals, that's my plan for now anyways.
Then just wait until then, as you will definitely need a full gasket set at THAT time. Any sooner is just throwing money away.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Jreal24

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So i finished the install of those gaskets. Wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be but it was still ALOT of work. I took alot of pictures along the way so i will try to put everything together and create a DIY. It could probably be broken up in to a few DIYs i.e. serpentine belt, timing chain tensioner and guides and so on. Even after fixing it though I still traded it in this weekend. I have a 2011 sport premium vert now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jreal24:
Black Betty (01-27-2015), Gio37 (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 12:32 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Jreal24
So i finished the install of those gaskets. Wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be but it was still ALOT of work. I took alot of pictures along the way so i will try to put everything together and create a DIY. It could probably be broken up in to a few DIYs i.e. serpentine belt, timing chain tensioner and guides and so on. Even after fixing it though I still traded it in this weekend. I have a 2011 sport premium vert now.
Oh man, I would love a used one with this gasket already replaced. The buyer of your car doesn't even know how good he has it.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:38 PM
vqsmile

That would be a tremendous contribution. Please do!!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You will have my undying gratitude if you decide to undertake this. And if you need any help just PM me.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:08 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
This topic has come up in a different thread and it has led me to look into it a little bit. Here is what I ahve found:

I traced the part number of the "revised" gasket that was torn down in this thread, part # 13533-JK21B and the application for that part was the EX35 and FX35 and the VQ35HR engine. It's not a new part at all. I am very confused now.

It does appear that the timing cover and gasket set has gone through several revisions though throughout the years. (13035+A includes the gaskets)

Name:  Screen%20Shot%202015-03-04%20at%2010.44.05%20AM_zpslercqmub.png
Views: 829
Size:  194.2 KB

Name:  Screen%20Shot%202015-03-04%20at%2010.44.42%20AM_zpsfxolscb7.png
Views: 806
Size:  100.6 KB

This makes me feel like anyone with a build date in 2012+ appears to be safe. It's likely that only one of these part numbers and build date ranges has the defective gaskets and I'm sure we have enough data here to narrow it down.

Thoughts?
The following 2 users liked this post by Ryne:
G37XS13 (05-13-2015), twin_snails (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 02:53 PM
patrickdowdle08

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
has anyone actually done this repair themselves ? I have the gaskets and want to repair it myself I have power tools and everything im familiar with motors very much so but I want to know about any tips or tricks I may be unaware of
Old 05-13-2015, 05:34 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by patrickdowdle08
has anyone actually done this repair themselves ? I have the gaskets and want to repair it myself I have power tools and everything im familiar with motors very much so but I want to know about any tips or tricks I may be unaware of
Sorry but the "tools" comment reminded me of this, wait for it @ 1:55 in.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:54 AM
Danmangto

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I've been dealing with Infiniti Consumer Affairs regarding an issue with my wife's 09 sedan that is now out of warranty. The issue is a leak in the rear timing cover gaskets that is causing a low oil pressure condition.

But what I'd like members input on is the Infiniti Consumer Affairs process itself. As mentioned the car is out of warranty by about 7K miles. However the leaking rear timing cover gaskets is a known issue that at least 2 members of the forum (that I know about) have had to deal with, but they were still under warranty at the time so they didn't have to come $3K out of pocket. Of course I'm posting this because their answer was that they can't do anything for me on the repair cost. What a shock. I was repeatedly told that it has been reviewed and that the decision has been made. I asked what is to be done if I'm not satisfied with that decision. I had to ask literally 7 times and use different phrasing to get the person on the phone to finally tell me that I can request that a supervisor call me back to discuss it. They are supposed to call me back within 2 days.

My question is for any of you that have successfully gotten Infiniti Consumer Affairs to change a decision not to pay for a repair or anyone that has or does work for Infiniti. Is there anything in particular that I can say or do to compel them to do the right thing (IMO) and take care of a repair out of warranty on a known issue? Thus far I have been very polite and complete with information regarding the car, the maintenance, and that I am aware of other cases of the same issue affecting this engine. I dont want to threaten litigation or bad mouthing them publicly to force them to change. I don't want to do either and I'm not at all sure that doing so would even help. Any advice from those that know?

EDIT: My resolution wasn't satisfactory. Basically Infiniti Consumer Affairs told me they really don't care about my problem, I'm out of warranty so go kick rocks. Pay for my own repair of a known issue with these engines out of pocket or GTFO, they aren't doing squat for me.
Sorry to hear that, you are 7k miles out of warranty. They don't have to cover it. In this case if you had bought the ext. warranty it would have covered it and paid for itself?

I had very good success with Infiniti Consumer Repairs over the years, not being out of warranty, other issues...
Old 05-29-2015, 11:24 PM
Awgd8

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Hi guys! I have the same issue like BB, but my car is an EX35 AWD Journey with 5 speed AT with VQ35HR @76k miles. I was quoted $2,800 to fix it. My car is still under Elite extended warranty so they will fix it for free. (Well, I have $50 deductible)

One of our EX35 forum members also had his EX35 fixed with the same issue, but his water pump was also replaced since they were going in there anyway. How would I persuade them to change my water pump and other parts that normally wont last beyond 100k miles?

My car is still under Elite warranty next year around Sept. I might trade the car soon when I see a good deal....
Old 05-30-2015, 12:48 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Don't they have to take the water pump off to do this job any way? They should be able to slip it in as a warranty replacement. Slip the tech some green?

Quick Reply: Infiniti Consumer Affairs - poor experience