Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Lower just the front?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 02:19 PM
Dave123

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lower just the front?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is it possible or advisable to install lowering springs on just the front? I like the height of the rear, but feel the front needs to come down just a little bit (perhaps with Swift).

Also, if I lower just the front, does that lessen the chance that I will have to install a camber kit?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2014, 02:28 PM
EnYcee-G
Registered Member

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts
Awesome question. I too would love to know and would benefit from just lowering the front only.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:39 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
You'll shift a little weight forward if you rake the car, might cause the car to oversteer a little more. As long as the drop is moderate (not H&R's up front) you should be fine.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:36 PM
Racindaddy

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I have often wondered this. One problem is nobody sells only front lowering springs. Not that I've seen.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:46 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I think Tanabe should be the mildest drop FWIW.
Tanabe USA Inc. - NF210 Normal Feeling Springs
The following users liked this post:
xorbitman (03-27-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 12:44 AM
blackvr4tt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I decided to lower just the front. I really wanted to reduce the large wheel gap, and have the front bumper tighter to the ground. I used Swift springs on the front which are the best springs Ive owned. Great ride quality and feel. I also used 20mm spacers on the front, so I saw a noticeable difference in less body roll with the wider and lower stance.
While the height of the rear is better, I likely will put on the rear springs this summer. I need new rear tires so I'll have it aligned all at once.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:49 AM
blackvr4tt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I should have also noted that if you want to track your car, I wouldn't recommend only lowering the front. Having a more aggressive spring rate only on the front will likely slightly throw off the balance of the car at the limit.
Dave123 (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Dave123

I'm seriously considering lowering just the front with Tanabe springs after seeing these pics. It gets rid of wheel gap in the front with a tasteful drop, comfortable ride, no rubbing and perhaps no camber kit needed.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/picture...ront-only.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/picture...ront-only.html
Old 02-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Dave123

Dangit, I posted the same link twice. Here's another set of pics of the same setup:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/picture...ing-shots.html
Old 02-21-2014, 05:00 PM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Sounds like you need coilovers. More adjustability is a great thing, and I guess I am the only one that thinks lowering just the front is a terrible sounding idea.
Dave123 (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Dave123

Sprix I welcome and appreciate your feedback. However do you have solid reasons or is it just a hunch? It seems like others have done this without issue. To me it seems like a great way to solve a problem without the unnecessary expense of coilovers. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I would just like to know if you could be more specific with why it's a terrible idea. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2014, 06:46 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by sprix
Sounds like you need coilovers. More adjustability is a great thing, and I guess I am the only one that thinks lowering just the front is a terrible sounding idea.
Well it's surely better than lowering just the back
Old 02-21-2014, 07:08 PM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave123
Sprix I welcome and appreciate your feedback. However do you have solid reasons or is it just a hunch? It seems like others have done this without issue. To me it seems like a great way to solve a problem without the unnecessary expense of coilovers. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I would just like to know if you could be more specific with why it's a terrible idea. Thanks!
No worries- I don't think you are being argumentative. I have nothing to offer other than my simple opinion that using lowering springs to lower half of the vehicle and not the other half sounds silly. It just seems illogical.

You might think the expense of coilovers is unnecessary, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion- but many others find them valuable and worth the expense. I don't have them, but I can understand why others would buy them. Superior adjustability for height and ride comfort in some cases. It doesn't make sense to spend money doing things and not do them right. Unless... you like wasting money or trying experiments on your car.

I think that you will find that no one has done this around here... so why not be cavalier and be the first?
Old 02-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Dave123

Sprix, I agree. I didn't mean to imply that coil-overs were NEVER a good purchase. I was just thinking that in MY case, they might be overkill and unnecessary. I am looking for a very minimal drop and don't really need the adjustability that coil-overs offer. Admittedly, I am new to this so maybe I am missing some other benefits of owning coil-overs.

Yeah, I'm still debating whether to install front and rear Tanabes, or just the front. As it turns out there are a couple of others who have installed just the front and they seem to be happy with them (see links below). However I'm still deciding whether or not I like the look.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...37s-coupe.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/picture...ing-shots.html
Old 02-21-2014, 09:46 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Dave, it's not too much money for the set of Tanabes, so you can try the front only and if it's not what you're expecting you can always install the rears. Tanabe makes a nice drop that is pretty easy to live with and although I recommend camber & toe kit for just about any lowering application the mildest drops can get by at least shorter term without them. If you can DIY the spring install you really won't have to invest much to see if it's what you're hoping it will be. I have coilovers and like them much more than lowering springs but in your case you might get exactly what you're hoping for. At least a raked look gives the car a more aggressive stance, interested to see what you end up with.

Quick Reply: Lower just the front?