Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rear view mirror fell off!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 05:51 AM
Jperrone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear view mirror fell off!

So my rearview mirror fell off!!!! Imagine that.
So.. took it to the dealer, "this can't be fixed. You must replace the windshield".

I've ordered some "3m High Bond Rear View Mirror Adhesive"; will update after using.

There is a small metal block to which the mirror bracket is screwed. Looks like the mirror and bracket can be separated from that block, and the block alone re-attached to the windshield. That would mean less weight for the fresh adhesive to support, when it is installed.

Any experience with this?

BTW, I am sure that the windshield fell off due to the massive acceleration of the 3.7 engine vs the 3.5

Old 02-07-2014, 07:16 PM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
They make adhesive specifically for this purpose. I have had windshields replaced where the metal mount had to be moved from the old windshield, not sure why they would have told you it couldn't be fixed.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:25 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Jperrone
So my rearview mirror fell off!!!! Imagine that.
So.. took it to the dealer, "this can't be fixed. You must replace the windshield".

I've ordered some "3m High Bond Rear View Mirror Adhesive"; will update after using.

There is a small metal block to which the mirror bracket is screwed. Looks like the mirror and bracket can be separated from that block, and the block alone re-attached to the windshield. That would mean less weight for the fresh adhesive to support, when it is installed.

Any experience with this?

BTW, I am sure that the windshield fell off due to the massive acceleration of the 3.7 engine vs the 3.5

That happens a lot; the shrink/expand cycles of being in the sun is hard on the adhesive.

Easy repair; just be sure to de-grease both surfaces (the "block" and the glass where it goes) with alcohol before applying the adhesive.

I would also file a complaint against that dealer; I have never heard such irresponsible BS in my life.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:33 PM
jscoggan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
That happens a lot; the shrink/expand cycles of being in the sun is hard on the adhesive.

Easy repair; just be sure to de-grease both surfaces (the "block" and the glass where it goes) with alcohol before applying the adhesive.

I would also file a complaint against that dealer; I have never heard such irresponsible BS in my life.

follow politics?
Old 02-09-2014, 11:15 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by jscoggan
follow politics?
Nice ... hear the one about less people working is a good thing?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 AM
DPE G

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
I mount police cameras on those things all the time. It didn't take any glass with it did it? sometimes they will take a chunk when they release. If not just get the glue and make sure to clean the spot with a alcohol prep pad very well, wait about 5 min then put the glue on the metal tab, just a few dabs, as it will spread when you push it on, and don't want it dripping down your window or onto the dash. Once you press it up hold it for a good minute in place with light pressure on it. I usually put it on a piece of heavy duty tape and just tape it up. Wait 24 hours or more if it's cold in your area to put the mirror up. You don't want that weight bouncing on it right away.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:41 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by jscoggan
follow politics?
Sadly, yes...