Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Can infiniti track your car with GPS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 12:54 PM
nickw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can infiniti track your car with GPS?

I have the factory GPS in my 2012 g37s and I'm wondering if there is anyway for Infiniti to track the car via GPS to find it if it's every stolen ?
Old 12-14-2013, 01:28 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
No, but the NSA can!!
Old 12-14-2013, 03:24 PM
budiu22

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm sure the company that provides the sattelite tech can easily do that, but its not part of the perks you get with GPS.

if you wanted that you would have to pay for a 3rd party product most likely unless infiniti offers it themselves.

But if the US gov was looking for you, they would certainly have access to that data, you just dont.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:38 PM
YellowJacket

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
GPS in our cars (as well as Sirius/XM) is one way only. It will receive a satellite signal but is not capable of transmitting.

You want to track a stolen car, get a LoJack.

David
The following users liked this post:
Black Betty (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 06:50 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Don't have to worry about infiniti tracking you when google can much more easily.

Personally, I'd never get a car with a system such as onstar for this exact reason. Or if I did, I'd be looking for ways to disable it.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:48 PM
nukee26

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Don't have to worry about infiniti tracking you when google can much more easily.

Personally, I'd never get a car with a system such as onstar for this exact reason. Or if I did, I'd be looking for ways to disable it.
I know a guy who was on the team that developed onstar. I vaguely remember him saying if people knew what the system was capable of, nobody would want it probably.
The following 2 users liked this post by nukee26:
kdawg8526 (12-16-2013), SPDCRZ (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 12:40 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
^^Yup, it's up to the consumer to educate themselves on what they're truly buying into. Who needs tracking devices when they're already built in as standard equipment under the guise of 'for your safety' cr@p.

Same thing can already be done with smartphones. Makes you wonder why most new models these days don't have removable batteries..... I'm quite certain that the mic can easily be tripped on remotely without the end user's knowledge or any indication that it's even on.

I realize these are tin foil hat type statements. For those that don't believe this, think about all that can be done with your smart phone. Why do you think laptops with built in cameras have some mechanism to indicate the camera is on..
Old 12-16-2013, 01:13 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
^^Yup, it's up to the consumer to educate themselves on what they're truly buying into. Who needs tracking devices when they're already built in as standard equipment under the guise of 'for your safety' cr@p.

Same thing can already be done with smartphones. Makes you wonder why most new models these days don't have removable batteries..... I'm quite certain that the mic can easily be tripped on remotely without the end user's knowledge or any indication that it's even on.

I realize these are tin foil hat type statements. For those that don't believe this, think about all that can be done with your smart phone. Why do you think laptops with built in cameras have some mechanism to indicate the camera is on..
Pretty much. I don't disagree with your assessment though. Honestly, there are so many other ways to track people, if you want to go "off the grid", you'd have to give up an (in my opinion) unacceptable level of convenience. People could track you through the wireless networks you walk through, even if you turn your cellular data off. You can be tracked through your credit card purchases, your toll tag, your bus pass, traffic cameras, and automated license plate readers, not to mention the array of orbital and airborne surveillance devices used all over the world. They gave something as powerful as google frickin maps to the public, how good do you think the private imaging satellites are?

Being totally off the grid is an unrealistic goal if you want to be gainfully employed in the world today. If you can't eliminate ALL the methods above, then why worry yourself eliminating one or two of them? If someone with the appropriate resources wants to find you. They will find you.

That's my 2 cents anyways.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I'm curious. For the people who seem so concerned with the government or anyone else tracking their movements, eavesdropping on their conversations, reading their email, or generally being intrusive into their lives: Why would they??? I know I'm damn sure not interesting enough for anyone to do it for entertainment value. Maybe if I were a celebrity or public figure or someone people know or gave a damn about, I'd probably be more concerned. I'm not involved in any criminal activity for them to gather evidence against me. What is it about your life that you think someone, anyone, would find enthralling enough to go through the trouble of intruding on your privacy simply because they have the ability to? The primary reason that anyone does this (that I'm aware of) is to target their marketing, i.e sell you stuff. Hence the ads on your browser related to things you've Googled. There are very simple an effective (and free) ways around this. And it's certainly not because anyone cares about you or who you are or what you do as an individual, you are just a person with an internet connection and possibly income to spend. The intrusion of privacy is a small price to pay to live in the FREE instant information age.

I'm not Tony Monatana. I'm not a high ranking leader of al Qaeda. I even pay all of my taxes I owe whether I think they're fair or not. Nobody of any consequence gives a crap about what I do except to sell me stuff.
The following 2 users liked this post by Black Betty:
GoFightNguyen (12-16-2013), SwissCheeseHead (12-17-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by nukee26
I know a guy who was on the team that developed onstar. I vaguely remember him saying if people knew what the system was capable of, nobody would want it probably.
Why? What exactly are they capable of?

Why? Whats your issue with vehicle tracking?
Old 12-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Sixtus
2010 X Coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I'm curious. For the people who seem so concerned with the government or anyone else tracking their movements, eavesdropping on their conversations, reading their email, or generally being intrusive into their lives: Why would they??? I know I'm damn sure not interesting enough for anyone to do it for entertainment value. Maybe if I were a celebrity or public figure or someone people know or gave a damn about, I'd probably be more concerned. I'm not involved in any criminal activity for them to gather evidence against me. What is it about your life that you think someone, anyone, would find enthralling enough to go through the trouble of intruding on your privacy simply because they have the ability to? The primary reason that anyone does this (that I'm aware of) is to target their marketing, i.e sell you stuff. Hence the ads on your browser related to things you've Googled. There are very simple an effective (and free) ways around this. And it's certainly not because anyone cares about you or who you are or what you do as an individual, you are just a person with an internet connection and possibly income to spend. The intrusion of privacy is a small price to pay to live in the FREE instant information age.

I'm not Tony Monatana. I'm not a high ranking leader of al Qaeda. I even pay all of my taxes I owe whether I think they're fair or not. Nobody of any consequence gives a crap about what I do except to sell me stuff.
Agreed, the whole " Big Brother" thing drives me crazy.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:03 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Just remember being watched by "big brother" was fine when the FBI was 1st created.
Not to mention the C.I.A with black ops missions & what not.
Have no problems providing data, but don't like the I know your every move environment.
Kind of un-American, life liberty & pursuit of happiness.
I'm pretty sure when they wrote the constitution, they would include ease dropping on any communications.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Drive Clean
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 25 Posts
I remember reading an article on how the government can turn on your camera webcam without activating the little light notifying you that it's on. Not sure how much truth was behind the article, but i'm sure someone has figured out a way to do it.

Oh well, If the government wants to watch what I do on my laptop late at night then so be it…

All they're gonna see me doing is ogling at car parts I can't afford
Old 12-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
Just remember being watched by "big brother" was fine when the FBI was 1st created.
Not to mention the C.I.A with black ops missions & what not.
Have no problems providing data, but don't like the I know your every move environment.
Kind of un-American, life liberty & pursuit of happiness.
I'm pretty sure when they wrote the constitution, they would include ease dropping on any communications.
If you don't like "someone knowing your every move", log off of your computer and never connect it to the internet again. Or every use any form of telecommunications or satellite communication. Because simply by connecting to the internet you are giving anyone in the world, not just "big brother" free license to enter into your life. But your life sounds very interesting. Whatcha got going on that you think would cause anyone to be concerned enough with you personally to track everything that you do for no specific reason? It's go to be really interesting to merit that. Like best selling novel or feature film interesting.

Also I'm not getting the part where your perception (with absolutely no evidence that I'm aware of) of being monitored by the FBI or CIA with Black Ops missions and whatnot infringes on your "unalienable right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". What part of the government's surveillance of you has infringed on any of those rights? How so? By the way that's in the Declaration of Independence, not the US Constitution or any of the amendments. The Supreme Court of the United States handed down a decision in Smith v. Maryland in 1979 that disagrees with your view and says it is legal. Not until today (12/16/13) did any court disagree (http://rt.com/usa/nsa-surveillance-u...nal-judge-338/). It'll be at the very least a year until any binding decision is made one way or another because obviously the government will appeal. And until all those appeals are exhausted, the 4th amendment only requires a warrant for wiretap to listen to or record your conversations, not to see who you're calling or who calls you. Disagreeing with legally binding interpretations of the constitution and it's amendments seems pretty Unamerican to me. War on terror and whatnot. Maybe I can understand why you might not want them spying on you...

I'm pretty sure when they wrote the constitution and the Bill of Rights they couldn't have possibly imagined many of the scenarios that we face today so they didn't say anything about them. Free Black people. Women being treated as equals and voting and whatnot. Federal taxes on income from your vocation??? The list goes on and on.

FREEDOM!!!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Drive Clean
Oh well, If the government wants to watch what I do on my laptop late at night then so be it…

All they're gonna see me doing is ogling at car parts I can't afford
Uh, we know that's not what you're ogling... We've got the internet too.

Quick Reply: Can infiniti track your car with GPS?