G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Driving impressions of my G37x coupe...when does the awd kick in?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Muujig612

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
U guys got it all wrong! I tell you the power is transferred to front wheels the instant the rear starts to spin. To get out of a corner as fast as you can you gotta turn off the traction control which only turns off the engine throttle and brake override. But the power transfer to front wheels and power transfer left to right and right to left on all 4 wheels still work. So turn off your traction control and then accelerate as much as you can when getting out of a corner. You'll notice your back slipping but just keep your foot down and adjust everything by your steering! The AWD system will transfer upto 50% to front wheels the moment your rear wheels start to spin. And the rear wheels will still have 50% of your engine power so one or 2 of them will slip. The AWD system will brake the slipping wheel on the rear axle to give more forward acceleration from the rear wheels while the front wheels will try to pull the forward and since the front axle has 50% of the power one of the front wheels will slip too. And the AWD system will do the same thing on the front axle, braking the free spinning wheel to give more forward power. So don't worry! Keep your foot down and work your way out of the corner with your steering. You'll notice you gained back the control of the car real quick and your going pretty fast!

The Nissan GTR has almost the identical AWD system as g37x, so it's definitely better then Audi AWD in terms of performance.

When you hear a noise under the hood and car slipping light flashing on your dashboard it means the AWD system is individually braking your 4 wheels to make the car go forward, not transferring power from rear to front

Enjoy your g37x
Old 12-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Muujig612

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first button I press after turning my car on is the traction control button
Old 12-17-2013, 10:51 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 752 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Muujig612
U guys got it all wrong! I tell you the power is transferred to front wheels the instant the rear starts to spin. To get out of a corner as fast as you can you gotta turn off the traction control which only turns off the engine throttle and brake override. But the power transfer to front wheels and power transfer left to right and right to left on all 4 wheels still work. So turn off your traction control and then accelerate as much as you can when getting out of a corner. You'll notice your back slipping but just keep your foot down and adjust everything by your steering! The AWD system will transfer upto 50% to front wheels the moment your rear wheels start to spin. And the rear wheels will still have 50% of your engine power so one or 2 of them will slip. The AWD system will brake the slipping wheel on the rear axle to give more forward acceleration from the rear wheels while the front wheels will try to pull the forward and since the front axle has 50% of the power one of the front wheels will slip too. And the AWD system will do the same thing on the front axle, braking the free spinning wheel to give more forward power. So don't worry! Keep your foot down and work your way out of the corner with your steering. You'll notice you gained back the control of the car real quick and your going pretty fast!

The Nissan GTR has almost the identical AWD system as g37x, so it's definitely better then Audi AWD in terms of performance.

When you hear a noise under the hood and car slipping light flashing on your dashboard it means the AWD system is individually braking your 4 wheels to make the car go forward, not transferring power from rear to front

Enjoy your g37x

Is that so? That's news to me.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion and info, Muujig612
Old 12-18-2013, 12:19 AM
honorcode3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATTESA
We have an ATTESA E-TS system which is the lessor version of the R35 GTR's ATTESA E-TS system. It's still doing what Muujig612 has said it just monitors the car differently than the GTR and torque splits a bit differently but the functionality is basically the same.

The article states:

"To control the ATTESA E-TS system, there is a 16-bit computer that monitors the cars movements 10 times per second. ...Rather than locking the AWD in all the time or having a system that is "all or nothing", the ATTESA E-TS system can apportion different torque ratios to the front wheels as it sees fit. This provides the driver with an AWD vehicle that performs like a rear wheel drive vehicle in perfect conditions and can recover control when conditions aren't as perfect. ...The advantage to a more traditional ATTESA (Viscous LSD) system is response in hundredths of a second."

FYI: The G37 is the American version of the Japanese Skyline (V36) 370GT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_...6.2FCV36.2FJ50

http://topsecret-jpn.com/item06.html

I'm not sure how monitoring conditions 10 times per second translates to response time in hundredths of a second but I'm sure the first article is dumbed down for people with no knowledge of the system like me. Anyway... there you go. Like Muujig612 said, turn off the TC and go play (on a track).

Last edited by honorcode3; 12-18-2013 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:02 AM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
This isn't v-Tec..
Old 12-19-2013, 08:21 AM
chairman25

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Muujig612; I agreewith your assessment. Although I have never tried it on my car, it makes perfect sense to dispose with the "nanny's" for a fun ride.