G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New G37 owner, probably shouldn't have bought the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 01:34 PM
R.L. ina G37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have much to add other than upgrade your rotors or even a wheel alignment might even help. Also the whole suspension thing, I had the same reaction. I was driving a 04 TL and was definitely smoother. You'll get use to it, just drive safely and no wild boy **** till you "know" your car. I too bought my car out of state in NJ, about 5 hours as well. I was nervous at first making a huge purchase that far away but it was worth it. Saved almost 3-4k. They picked me up from the train station and gave me gas additional gas money lol. Good luck with your car and hope you get those nuances fixed.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:05 PM
twang86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xsaqzw
Holy crap!! My 08 G37S has the exact same problem with the bumper, in the exact same spot! I've never seen anyone else with this issue.. strange! I know my car hasn't been hit in the front.. it did have a minor tap on the back, but that is a different story. I've been meaning to take the bumper off soon and take a look at it/mess with it. I'll let you know what I figure out, but if you get to it first, please update me?
Hey man, just FYI. I took a CLOSER look at my bumper today and there are signs that it used to be cracked and was repaired, probably at a private body shop. So check your bumper to make sure there's no cracks or signs of repair. I feel like if you have the exact same thing as me, your bumper might have been either replaced and not installed properly or just fixed the cracks from a fender bender.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:44 PM
twang86

a small update.

So I took the car to a body shop to untint my windows. (car couldnt pass inspection with the tint on) and the guy there ran a paint meter on the car and told me that the rear panels, on the right and left, was repainted. Paint meter reads 4.5-5 on the rest of the car and a 6+ on the rear panels. He recommends a buff and something else which would run me the tune of $300.

Now has the car been repainted? I hear a + or - 1 on paint meters are within the norm. Or does the body shop guy just want to get more money out of me? Anyone have any idea?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:49 PM
ypdfwg37

Bumper is very easy to fix, I did mine myself. I replaced with 2011 bumper with fog lights on my 2008 G37 (see my profile). It is a great car with only 30K some miles. Good luck with your car. I love mine.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:38 AM
twang86

Just took it to a body shop and the mechanic there basically told me that the car was either involved in two accidents(one front, one rear), or was sandwiched between two cars. The front panels, hood, fender, as well as back panels and bumper has all been worked on/repaired. That's why it has been repainted.

Not really sure what I can do at this point. Guess the lesson here is, carfax is useless!
Old 11-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Jack10525
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wait till you see how bad the gas mileage is in these cars.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:00 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 750 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack10525
Wait till you see how bad the gas mileage is in these cars.
Who bought this car for mileage? Lol.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:45 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Who bought this car for mileage? Lol.
Yeah really .... if you didn't understand the mileage implications with this car before you bought then as Homer would say ..... "Stupid Buyer"

It can go either way ... I made a trip in our G coupe from Maryland to Michigan with 3 adults and luggage and got almost 30 mpg. It's all depends on how you drive it. On trips, I see no need to drive it like you stole it, doesn't really get you there any faster in the long run. I do about 5-8 miles over the speed limit and don't accelerate hard (unless needing to pass) and I can get decent mileage.

Around town .... I retrain the ECU
Old 11-21-2013, 12:28 PM
twang86

I really couldn't care less about the gas mileage. Only drives the car to the metro everyday and maybe for fun on the weekends.

Just wish it wasn't in an accident, which by all accounts it probably was.

Also, has anyone have any luck returning a vehicle after 2 weeks? Sounds impossible but just wondering.

Last edited by twang86; 11-21-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:05 PM
G-unOt

Originally Posted by twang86
Just took it to a body shop and the mechanic there basically told me that the car was either involved in two accidents(one front, one rear), or was sandwiched between two cars. The front panels, hood, fender, as well as back panels and bumper has all been worked on/repaired. That's why it has been repainted.

Not really sure what I can do at this point. Guess the lesson here is, carfax is useless!
If you bought this from a dealership, the chances are they have a dedicated body work guy paint all their used cars. If there are scratches on the bumpers even from parking, they probably had it repainted. Body shops often paint the adjacent panel to ''blend'' the work in. Its never going to be a 100% match if you get it from a body shop, so they doing this makes their work look better.
I had a friend who painted cars for the Toyota dealership in bay ridge. They only paid him 200 to paint an entire car. That a small price to pay to sell a car.
I think the only way to tell is if you took off the bumper covers and inspected the beams / frame.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
I really couldn't care less about the gas mileage. Only drives the car to the metro everyday and maybe for fun on the weekends.

Just wish it wasn't in an accident, which by all accounts it probably was.

Also, has anyone have any luck returning a vehicle after 2 weeks? Sounds impossible but just wondering.
It really sucks about the accident and unfortunately after two weeks you might not be able to return it. I've heard about returning the car within 3 days but not two weeks.

g/l
Old 11-22-2013, 06:38 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by xsaqzw
Holy crap!! My 08 G37S has the exact same problem with the bumper, in the exact same spot! I've never seen anyone else with this issue.. strange! I know my car hasn't been hit in the front.. it did have a minor tap on the back, but that is a different story. I've been meaning to take the bumper off soon and take a look at it/mess with it. I'll let you know what I figure out, but if you get to it first, please update me?
You can't know this unless you've never parked your car on the street or given it to a valet...
Old 11-22-2013, 08:56 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OK, so when I apply the brakes and the car comes to a stop, sometimes the steering wheel and the wheels would pull to the left or the right.
Sorry, this made me giggle a little. Any decent handling car will do this. It's called good steering and braking feedback. Irregularities in the road surface and varying forces on the wheels are being transmitted back to you so you can use that information to be a better driver. My car does this all the time, and I appreciate that it is one of few left that do - don't expect it to be there in the Q50 and Q60.

The following comments are not directed at anyone, just a general rant, so take it all with a grain of salt:

This driver feedback stuff is getting to be old school stuff. Most people nowadays are not interested in being good drivers, and have no use for the information the car gives them (unless it is reading them a text message). In case anyone wonders why Camrys and their like rule the road these days, and drivers in USA have no idea how to drive, it's because the most popular cars here now do not give you any feedback whatsoever. It's a chicken and egg argument though. Which came first, uninvolved drivers who find feedback from the car to be "a problem", or typical american cars numbed an entire generation of drivers? BMW for some time used to keep the feedback and communication in their cars, but lately they have caved in too. The latest generation of BMWs are some pretty poorly communicating cars now - VERY camry like. Don't take it from me - Road and track agrees that the new 3 series feels a lot like a camry. They recommended that you buy an old 3 series if you like to drive. Ultimate driving machine should be renamed ultimate passengering machine. Sorry, I digress.....

As for the OP's concerns about the car: Definitely bring it to the dealer if it is under warranty. I would bring it there even if it is not under warranty. Their technicians know these cars the best and will know what's normal and not normal. Rest assured if the dealer can find anything they can charge to fix, they WILL find it.

Last edited by mikeb2004; 11-22-2013 at 09:13 PM.