Sponsored By:

New G37 owner, probably shouldn't have bought the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 11:06 PM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by twang86
is it easy to remove the bumper and reinstall?

I am a complete noob when it comes to car modding. And I don't want to mess anything up. Does anyone have a DIY step by step on how to do this? I am very tempted to just take it to a body shop and see what they can do with it but I feel like it will be very costly.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...val-guide.html

Not hard, but just be sure to keep track of all the screws, clips and brackets.

Very helpful to take pictures of everything before removal so you know exactly what it looks like when its time to put it back together.

I haven't personally removed a bumper cover on a G37, but it is a pretty straight forward and simple job.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...l-install.html

https://www.google.com/#q=g37+front+bumper+removal
Old 11-07-2013, 01:36 AM
Holshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The noise you are hearing is the throw out bearing, it's not the transmission like others have reference in earlier posts. It is nothing to worry about and does not affect any performance or operation of the car. It is just something that can be annoying at times and like anything else you get used to it. No need to rush out and replace your clutch or pull the tranny unless it really, really bothers you but just know that the noise will most likely return eventually even after being replaced. Just replace it the next time you need to replace the clutch and save yourself some cash to put towards something else.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:38 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 493 Posts
Be glad your trans doesn't whine like a supercharger... Very annoying.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:03 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Overall it seems like you got a good car with low miles for a good deal.
The issues you mention appear minor and easily fixed.
I would try resurfacing the rotors first and see how that suits you.
If you don't want to tackle the bumper removal yourself, check with a body's hop. It should be relatively inexpensive... Will probably take them little time to do it.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:50 AM
twang86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet! Thanks for the DIY and help you guys. I'm taking it to an auto repair place this weekend and see if they recommend new rotors or just resurface.

I think the bumper installation would be a good place to start learning about car modding. Should be a fun experience. I think that would be the last place I can mess up a car's driveability.

Thanks again!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:32 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
I believe there was a TSB for the '08 that talked about rotors over heating thus causing warping. I believe the fix was some sort of air deflection plat installed to cool them better. I had the TSB done on our '08 (we bought a year used) as it quickly developed a wobble. I had the rotors replaced but had to fight with the dealership on warranty vs non. After a long battle ... we split the cost. These brakes/rotors have been on since early '10 with no more issues.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:26 PM
twang86

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
I believe there was a TSB for the '08 that talked about rotors over heating thus causing warping. I believe the fix was some sort of air deflection plat installed to cool them better. I had the TSB done on our '08 (we bought a year used) as it quickly developed a wobble. I had the rotors replaced but had to fight with the dealership on warranty vs non. After a long battle ... we split the cost. These brakes/rotors have been on since early '10 with no more issues.
When there is a TSB out, does that mean infiniti will take care of it regardless of it being out of warranty? I am past the basic warranty at this point. But is it possible to get it done at the dealership? I wouldn't even mind paying for half the cost if it means no more shaking when braking.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:17 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
When there is a TSB out, does that mean infiniti will take care of it regardless of it being out of warranty? I am past the basic warranty at this point. But is it possible to get it done at the dealership? I wouldn't even mind paying for half the cost if it means no more shaking when braking.
Not sure about the TSB being added for free after warranty. As Infiniti tried to say to me "TSB is not Warranty". This particular TSB is just to add these air deflectors. It doesn't fix any current wobble/rotor issues just aids in it not happening prematurly again. My argument was that if the cooling defect hadn't been there my rotors would not have warped, would not have needed to me turned down thus causing me to get new ones now because they can't be turned down anymore. After a long back and forth, with them saying brakes/rotors are normal wear & tear. Thats when we agreed to split the cost of brakes/rotors. You can always try ....
Old 11-07-2013, 07:44 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The stock rotors seem to warp pretty easily. I'd just get replacements. I had this issue and the TSB was applied but it returned after awhile. Dealership ended up doing it again but it returned after they turned the rotors. At that point I just gave up and got new brakes.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:27 PM
toughcookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Is that the 60000 mile powertrain warranty? I think I still have that. Might look into getting my transmission replaced too. The rattling noise is driving me nuts.
You will have a difficult time fighting this under warranty. Believe me I just spent the last 3 months trying. They will most likely just call it normal. You might get lucky and get a dealership that actually cares about your satisfaction rather than the money, but the noise well come back. There's a user who had is transmission/clutch/flywheel changed and in 15k it came right back.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...is-normal.html

That's the thread I started. Good luck though
Old 11-08-2013, 12:47 PM
twang86

OK, so when I apply the brakes and the car comes to a stop, sometimes the steering wheel and the wheels would pull to the left or the right. Does this have something to do with the rotors? Or is this an alignment problem?

Also, I'm not sure if this is a feature or a problem. I used to drive a toyota camry, and in that car, I can barely feel the road, even if the road is uneven. But in my g37, the car rocks up and down a lot and I can "feel" the ground, every bump and surface, driving is kinda scary and I feel like I might lose control of the car. Is this something a sports car has so the driver can drive better? Or is my suspension really messed up?

Apparently in Maryland, most auto repair shops are not open on Saturdays. I was hoping to get a full diagnostics done on the car so I know exactly what is going on.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:32 PM
G37b21

Dude go to Infiniti dealer and get stuff replaced under warranty for free like your headlights your steering wheel or if your gauge cluster is warped or out of place they will replace it gotta be demanding it basically but they do it! If it's still under warranty of course.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:41 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 750 Likes on 356 Posts
OK, so when I apply the brakes and the car comes to a stop, sometimes the steering wheel and the wheels would pull to the left or the right. Does this have something to do with the rotors? Or is this an alignment problem?

Also, I'm not sure if this is a feature or a problem. I used to drive a toyota camry, and in that car, I can barely feel the road, even if the road is uneven. But in my g37, the car rocks up and down a lot and I can "feel" the ground, every bump and surface, driving is kinda scary and I feel like I might lose control of the car. Is this something a sports car has so the driver can drive better? Or is my suspension really messed up?
Buddy, you paid extra for that.

A track tuned car has to hug the curves of a road, at higher speed, a bouncy suspension will limit the amount of speed you can take into a curve.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:19 PM
xsaqzw

Holy crap!! My 08 G37S has the exact same problem with the bumper, in the exact same spot! I've never seen anyone else with this issue.. strange! I know my car hasn't been hit in the front.. it did have a minor tap on the back, but that is a different story. I've been meaning to take the bumper off soon and take a look at it/mess with it. I'll let you know what I figure out, but if you get to it first, please update me?
Old 11-09-2013, 02:33 PM
twang86

Originally Posted by xsaqzw
Holy crap!! My 08 G37S has the exact same problem with the bumper, in the exact same spot! I've never seen anyone else with this issue.. strange! I know my car hasn't been hit in the front.. it did have a minor tap on the back, but that is a different story. I've been meaning to take the bumper off soon and take a look at it/mess with it. I'll let you know what I figure out, but if you get to it first, please update me?
What?! No way. Well, then the good news is that it might be a simple issue that can be fixed easily if both of us has it.

Quick Reply: New G37 owner, probably shouldn't have bought the car