Sponsored By:

What comes after your G37 Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:32 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,723 Likes on 3,528 Posts
Originally Posted by WillCo1
Never really got into the RX-7 or RX-8. Although I have seen some pretty sick RX-7s back in the day.
The RX-7 is really 3 different cars. I've driven the first Gen many times, and that car was pure go-kart. Very much the predecessor to the Miata. The second Gen was a fine car, but dull and uninspiring... only drove it once. Never got a chance to drive the 3rd Gen, because by that point Mazda had priced it way-y-y out of range.

Test drove the RX-8 only once, and I have to say it's an excellent driver's car. The problem for me is it's also stylistically over-designed (IMO). While much of the design was very clever, I just couldn't get beyond the weirdness of it all. But man, what a wonderfully balanced car. And that little rotary engine was delightful in the high revs.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:38 AM
DeadlyWalrus

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Never got a chance to drive the 3rd Gen, because by that point Mazda had priced it way-y-y out of range.
I spent a bit of time looking for a used 3rd Gen twin-turbo RX-7 last time I was looking for a car. I gave up when I found out that they were all more expensive than a brand new G37S. I still love the way they look, too bad Mazda made them so expensive because you hardly ever see one.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
...and the Jag F-type is really getting some nice reviews and is gorgeous IMO.
Completely gorgeous, and by all reviews a bit of a muscle car, too... which is an interesting perspective. I like NA power, RWD, noise and a 6MT, but I also like contemporary refinement; (which pretty much explains why I like my car.)

I saw my first F-Type a couple months ago at a LOWES parking lot, in white. OMG, it was beautiful, from every angle. The soft-top kills it for me, but Jaguar will be offering a Coupe in just another year, and I suspect it will be amazing.

In the context of this thread and "next car", would a 2-3 year old used F-Type Coupe be approachable in 6 years, much in the same way I'm considering the Cayman to be? It's possible.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:57 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
There are a lot of cars that fall into the catagory .... Beautiful and great performance but lousy reliability.

Audi
Some BMW's
Anything British
Your exotics

I wanted to get a Range Rover so bad .... I REALLY had to talk myself out of it saying you know their reliability is off the charts bad.

I used to own a Sterling (Yes, I'm the one person who did) and while it was beautiful inside and out the reliability for anything electro mechanical was pathetic. Made a really nice car a hardship to own. You want to tell yourself you can deal with it but after a while it beats you down.

I would never own a Jaq.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:10 PM
inknartg37

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Lets hope the new Q60 redesign is on point! Im guessing it will be a little longer for the IPL Q60 which will hopefully be significantly different and tuned more to the likes of AMG and M Series
Old 10-31-2013, 03:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by inknartg37
Lets hope the new Q60 redesign is on point! Im guessing it will be a little longer for the IPL Q60 which will hopefully be significantly different and tuned more to the likes of AMG and M Series
On that note, I'm kind of mystified why INFINITI didn't take the IPL-tuned engine and make it the base powertrain on the Q50.

Since the Q50 was such a (personal) disappointment, I'm also looking forward to see what the Q60 will be. Although I fear INFINITI will price it beyond fair value.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:07 PM
blackvr4tt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines as you. Overall, if you want a reliable, pure RWD sports car in the entry level luxury price bracket, it came down to the G37 coupe or the BMW 335i.
I did not want to own a Bimmer due to repair cost and lower reliability (plus there are some ****** who own them). So the decision was easy for me.

Im really not sure what my next car would be. I likely want to go back to a twin turbo but I want to stay with RWD. The GT-R is an amazing car, but I previously owned an AWD car and I really missed not being able to spin the rear tires at ease.
I really hope Infiniti offers a Q60 TT, if so that will be my next car. Assuming the exterior styling stays close to what they have now.

Originally Posted by WillCo1
Hello everyone. Shortly I will be purchasing a G37 Coupe, pre-owned. Plan to spend around $26K cash.

Like everything else, I always do my homework and research before making a major decision.

What I want to be sure of, is I'm buying the "best" possible car for the money.

Japanese (Toyota/Nissan/Honda) reliability --- check
Fast (fast enough) --- check
Good looking --- check

So, my question for everyone is, If you had to do it over again, would you have purchased a different vehicle?
Lexus, Subaru, Mitsu Evo?

I was looking at Lexus IS350 but I don't really want/need a 4 door sedan. Also the car has been described as tame and unexciting to drive etc. (although fast 0-60)

I also considered the 370Z, but it seems like it would be too small, and no back seat. Also, I prefer the luxury and creature comforts of the G37.

My other question is, what are you looking at possibly purchasing when you get rid of the G37?

I also briefly looked at BMW and Porsche, but I don't want to spend a small fortune on repairs/maintenance/upkeep. So that's off the table.

Last edited by blackvr4tt; 11-01-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:25 PM
beattyG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to trade cars pretty regularly every 2 years (leases) and I would even trade a little early. But then I decided to buy a year old (At the time) 2009 G37S and am still totally satisfied. Made a few slight modifications over time (intake, exhaust, wheels, tuned) and I just don't see any other cars that I like better.

I too have thought about the Z but I like the extra space of my car, and the nicer finishes. If the next Z turns out really hot I may reconsider. And I fear the Q60 design will fall short of my expectations, and be priced out of my range. So, I am sticking with my G at least for a few more years. Love the handling, the design, and it is paid for!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:05 PM
BThomas815

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G-unOt
After owning a G coupe for a year and the amount of money dished out for gas, I would have to say mini cooper S.
I recently purchased a 2008 G37S Coupe 6MT. I've driven a MINI Cooper S with John Cooper Works package and many other upgrades (220+ HP) for the last 4 years. It is definitely a fun car on curvy roads, but you pay for the stiff suspension anytime you hit a bump in the road.

I searched long and hard to find a 6MT with the Tech package. My wife's G35xS sedan has ICC and I didn't want to live without it.

My commute to work just got a bit more comfy without sacrificing performance.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Can'tGme

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Buy my G coupe so I can get a 2011 WRX
Old 11-01-2013, 11:42 AM
eMPeezy
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I had initially bought the G thinking I wouldn't do much to the car...well, that didn't last very long. if I could do it over again, knowing how much I would invest in the car for mods, I may have given the 335i some more thought (only for performance reasons).

my next car would prob be the new 5-series or a used Mercedes G wagon
Old 11-01-2013, 12:33 PM
G-unOt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BThomas815
I recently purchased a 2008 G37S Coupe 6MT. I've driven a MINI Cooper S with John Cooper Works package and many other upgrades (220+ HP) for the last 4 years. It is definitely a fun car on curvy roads, but you pay for the stiff suspension anytime you hit a bump in the road.

I searched long and hard to find a 6MT with the Tech package. My wife's G35xS sedan has ICC and I didn't want to live without it.

My commute to work just got a bit more comfy without sacrificing performance.
I came from a 2002 stage 2 wrx on coilovers so I know what you mean. I love the comfort the G provides, I just hate the mpg. If only they made an affordable hybrid. The Q is out of my price range.
As soon as I get my mortgage, Im going to sell the G and hopefully get around 17-20 for it. Ill decide on whether or not to get a mini then.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:32 PM
MP87

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
For me its hard to say what my next car will be since my future is so dynamic right now. I know I will be keeping my car for 4 years for sure and maybe even up to 10 years. Its also hard to think about a next car since there are a lot of exciting new cars coming out. However any one of these could be a car I might end up owning in the future:

Porsche Cayman S
Nissan GTR
Redesigned Lexus ISF
Redesigned Toyota Supra
Redesigned Accura NSX
Redesigned Ford Mustang/Cobra/GT500
BMW M3/4
Mercedes-Benz C-class AMG car
Maybe an Audi S model
Infiniti's $60k performance vehicle that will compete with M3/ISF/C63/RS4?
Some future car that isn't out yet and will be freaking awesome?

I may end up having a daily driver and a weekend car, or just a single vehicle. If BMW can get their sh*t together and start making reliable cars, then the bimmer might get more consideration. Porsche\Toyota\Nissan\Honda on the other hand are all very appealing brands because they are all very reliable. Not too sure where I am going to go from here. Heck even twin turbo'ing my G37 maybe a possibility too. A few things are for sure though:

-I probably won't be buying new again
-My future "fun" car will need to be RWD and hardtop (no convertibles for me!)
-Twin turbo is desirable because a cheap tune brings in big power
-My daily driver will need to be a luxury car

Sooo who knows. I try not to think about what my next car will be since so much can change. Heck when I was in college driving a 5 speed mustang, I was dreaming about owning a cobra or GT500. Then after grad school I ended up switching from the muscle car realm to the luxury car realm for my daily driver car. So yeah, we will see what happens in a few years from now

If I had to redo everything then maybe I would have bought a used S4. I really wanted a used ISF over the G37 but I couldn't find one in time. Sometimes I even think I should have gone with a BMW 335i but the constant reliability horror stories I keep hearing about these "ultimate driving machines" reassures me that a BMW might not have been the best choice. Plus I really do not like the new redesign what so ever; a step back IMO. I think if time wasn't an issue I would be driving an ISF right now. I REALLY like those cars. However, owning a new car was a nice experience as well. My G37 was actually a floor model inside of the dealership so it felt extra special buying it. I even have a pic of it inside the dealership with the stickers and tags lol. However, paying for taxes, depreciation, shipping, and document fees really sucks. Hence my next car will most likely be used.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:53 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by DaCePtak0n
Went to an S4 only to move back to Infiniti a few short months later. Ended up getting married and Wifey vetoed the $680/month payment.

Now we're good so I'm looking at ordering either an Audi S3 or CLA45 AMG...
I looked real hard at the S4 before I got the G. I just wasn't comfortable with the long-term reliability on the Audi. That and the back seat in the G is a wee bit bigger and I need that for the 3 kids (2 in car seats)
Old 11-02-2013, 10:48 PM
eVitO

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I want something that'll make the trip to the track, make it a FULL DAY at the track, and will be able to drive back home. It takes too much effort to make the G37 do that, with oil coolers, upgraded brakes, etc., etc.

As of now, I'm thinking about a Cayman S, maybe M235i, maybe a used Lotus Elise.

Quick Reply: What comes after your G37 Coupe?