G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Valet Brought My Car Back With A Massive Welding/Burnt Electronics Stink

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 01:06 PM
JMS2000

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Well that's cool that they're being cooperative. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:33 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 284 Likes on 238 Posts
I would guess that over 90% of the drivers out there today haven't a clue as to how to drive a manual transmission (hence why many manufactures are moving away from manual transmissions). I doubt that they tried to abuse it intentionally, but were more likely struggling to get the car back and forth.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:15 PM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
This is a tough situation for you. Even if you could prove that the clutch was fried by the valet, their argument could be it was just about to go anyway, which is a possibility. Sorry to hear about this and good luck.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:40 PM
toughcookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Most valet companies dont even check to see if someone can drive a manual. I have friend who actually learned to drive stick by being a valet.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
As you stated OP, you learned a very valuable (and unfortunately costly) lesson from this. Hopefully others reading this thread have too. No matter he circumstance, never EVER give your keys to a valet. Even if you had an AT, don't give your keys to a valet. I know our cars are nowhere near exotics and you see them valeted all the time. Don't do it. Whether its just an honest mistake, abject negligence, or intentional mischief, there's far too much that can go wrong when handing a complete stranger your keys and walking away just becasue he's wearing a vest.

I have paid the valet to let me self park if they'll allow it. As much as $50 one time. That may not be a lot in some places but it is here. But parking it myself without bumping into anything, locking it so that nobody has a free reign to go through my things inside or in the trunk, and having the keys so that I can leave as soon as I'm ready and not be at the whim of somebody for possibly 15 minutes to retrieve it, is well worth it on the few occasions where I park somewhere that the only option is valet parking. I was at Cheesecake Factory in San Antonio once and they valet manager was a jerk and wouldn't allow me to self park even if I paid and tipped well. I was confident that parking 3 blocks down the street and walking back was better than giving that jackass my car for the hour I'm going to be in the restaurant.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:38 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
When I had my truck, I only had it valet parked once. Watched the guy try and back into a space and instead of using the sonar/backup camera, he opened the driver door, looked out the back, and started trying to backup. Didn't realize how much power the truck had and almost fell out of the truck when he hit the gas. I've never let another valet touch my vehicles since. Like you BB, I'll walk a couple blocks to not have to deal with them.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:02 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 284 Likes on 238 Posts
I hate places that force you to use a valet. To me, a car is a personal item like a purse/wallet, so I really don't want strangers near mine, but sometimes I understand it's needed, such as in some long term parking places. For the most part, I think most of them mean well and are just folks trying to make a living.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:08 PM
TakmaN
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Funny as the same thing happened to me. When I picked up my car it smelled like fresh burning clutch. It probably didn't help that the valet driver was probably in his late teens and my car has a messed up clutch to begin with.

Hope everything gets sorted out OP, glad to see the restaurant manager being cooperative as I know he could just as easily shut you out like the Valet Supervisor.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Zimshimmy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, so the kicker to Saturday's story with the stupid valet supervisor ---> I get home at about 11pm and Park the G and I'm getting some papers off the passenger side and what do i see, a set of Ford keys with a Valet ticket on them. The stupid valet supervisor had left someone's car keys in my car. Thought of keeping them till morning so that he could have another pissed off customer, but i felt sorry for whoever owned the car as the person's house keys were on there as well. Ended up calling the Company Owner, after calling the restaurant manager, since that was the only number i had and he sent someone to come and get the keys.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:15 AM
JMS2000

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Nah, you did the right thing. I'd hate to be missing my keys. I'm sure the owner of the keys appreciated it. Plus it's one more thing for the company owner to consider when the time comes to make good on your car.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:30 AM
swagger_jacker

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just recently bought a new G37xS sedan and moved to Miami FL. Before i moved i added a GPS tracking device and a dash cam. In the place where i am staying i had valet parked the car a couple times, when one of the guys was bringing me my car i heard an exhaust from a car and seen a black streak fly by. When the valet pulled up he looked at me and said you have a fast car, i replied yes but lets not trash it. I pulled the SD card from the car the next day and had caught them a few times i would have it parked and unparked flying through the parking garage and reving the engine right after starting the car. I have the video proof so if anything happens to my car i can take that to management. A good investment to protect your car and your a$$. not much money and not difficult to install, think about it.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 AM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
I am sure that all valets are not douchebag idiots, but it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch. I don't trust valets for anything. I would rather park my car several blocks away than hand anyone else the keys.

Like others have mentioned, I am sure that they don't all have malicious intent when destroying clutches. Some just have no clue how to drive a stick shift and destroy your clutch in an attempt to perform their job. Maybe it is just me, but I would think that being a valet or porter of any type would require:
A) Valid License with clear history
B) Accountability for all cars you touch
C) prior experience with a stick shift- with a test to prove your level of skill
Old 10-23-2013, 10:29 AM
mannyh316

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you checked under your car for any plastic bags that may be stuck and burning?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Fentress24

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also had a bad experience and will never valet my car again. Was in an expensive restaurant and all they offered was valet. I was at the bar waiting to be seated and heard a lady say, "who drives the white car outside? because they just stalled it at least 7 times trying to back it into a spot." They kept putting it in 6th gear trying to get it in reverse. Have never valet parked since. My GF thinks im being ridiculous, but one bad experience was enough for me. Glad I got out of it with no serious damage
Old 10-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Zimshimmy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mannyh316
Have you checked under your car for any plastic bags that may be stuck and burning?
That's the first thing I did and unfortunately there was nothing. I was really kinda hoping that it was just a plastic bag stuck under the the car somewhere. I really didn't want to deal with the Valet Guys.

Quick Reply: Valet Brought My Car Back With A Massive Welding/Burnt Electronics Stink