Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

g37x winter driving?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 PM
itshere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g37x winter driving?

Just bought my 2010 g37x coupe and wonder how everyone's experience was in winter driving conditions ( im in toronto so we get lots of snow).

Did you turn on traction control, did you feel AWD kick in, etc??

Thanks,
Old 07-30-2013, 01:11 PM
ai3j50

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I also have a 2010 X. The awd is good for keeping you from getting stuck but it will not prevent you from sliding/hydroplaning. I would buy a set of winter tires (not all season) to get the most out of you AWD G.

When you say traction control are you referring to the slip control that is automatically on or the snow mode switch in the center console? I always keep the slip control on unless I'm really getting on my car. Snow mode is useful because it keeps the RPMs down regardless of how much gas you are giving it, keeping you from spinning out in the snow. So if there is snow on the ground I would recomend turning on snow mode.

Don't expect the X to drive like a 4wd SUV because it won't. It handles better than a RWD in the snow and a considerable amount better than a FWD considering you have good tires. I hope that helps
Old 07-30-2013, 01:26 PM
itshere

Yes, i was referring to the snow mode in the center..

What is the slip control that your talking about? and you said you can switch it off?
Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 PM
sydnrusty
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i'm just down the 401 from you in windsor and had my first winter in a manual g37s (not x) this past year. i bought a set of winter tires and rims from tire rack last fall and the car was absolutely fine in the snow. just use common sense: it's slick and snowy or icy, you accelerate a bit slower, drive a bit slower (sort of) , and start stopping a bit earlier.

but like everyone says, get snow tires. if it's you year round daily driver they will be the best investment you'll ever make up here in canada.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:51 PM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2011 xs coupe and I have lots of fun in the snow! traction control keep off, spin a bit and have controlled sideways driving

For regular driving, it was easy in the snow, even if there is not much out here, when there is snow, I don't have a problem.

Tires are more important then the car you drive. If you get something like the mich xice tires then you can go through anything!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:13 AM
Himalaya
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 09x. The awd doesnt prevent you from sliding or hydroplaning, so while turning and going through curves, go slow. I'm on sport tires and i drove through horrible snow storms and i still drive fine. The snow button thats between your heater switches on the center console is for if you are stopped still and you press the gas hard, the torque is properly distributed between each of your wheels and slipping is prevented. Your rpms wont go crazy if you mash on the pedal while in snow mode while launching or even under 25mph. the rpms will be controlled by the computer.

I'm not 100 percent sure if this is accurate, but i remember when buying my car the salesman told me after going over 25 mph, the snow button is automatically disabled.

If you do slip, your awd system will kick in to help you regain a little control, but i wouldn't rely on it too much. It will prevent you from getting stuck.

i wouldn't go with winter tires, just all season would be fine. i'm in nj and we sometimes we get pretty bad snow storms but I have never had any problems. I had stock sport tires on and still no problem.

if you want to be super safe, then get winter tires.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:35 AM
pughdxk
Banned

i was referring to the snow mode in the center