G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sport package.. anyone regret not getting it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 04:47 PM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
Off the top of my head, the 09-13 Sport package includes important mechanical elements that would cost you a fortune to retrofit after the fact:

Close ratio steering rack
4 piston front and 2 piston rear larger brake calipers and rotors
Paddle Shifters
Nicer pedals (interior)
From 2010 forward, a nicer looking front fascia
VLSD (rear diff)
Performance oriented Springs and Struts/Shocks
Seats with better bolster and thigh support
The jury is still out on whether or not the Spiderman wheels are an improvement, but I personally love the Sport Appearance package 18s and would probably have the dealer swap those out if it were me. In addition, the Sport Appearance Package wheels are not staggered, so I can rotate my tires.

I sure I missed a thing or two, but you see the point. Individually, these elements would cost a fortune to upgrade after the fact.

The problem here in Socal is that the dealers know that the sport models are rare finds (there are hundreds of the Journey+Premium lease returns, but few sports), so the markup over the vanilla Journey+Premium is often greater than what the package originally cost new.

I follow this closely because I have been in the market for a clean used G37S, 2010 or newer in the Sub-30k range and there are some slim pickings here in Socal.

I think when the Q50 is fully released and the novelty wears off (December 2013), this will change.
Originally Posted by Scoe11
This is my second G and I actually prefer the look and feel of the non sport. The sport rims are ugly, the seats aren't as nice, and the paddle shifters are - well- plain stupid. Why on earth would Infiniti install them on the steering column instead of the wheel? Plus, it's nearly impossible to find a sport with the wood accents package. If the sport had a bump in hp or something worthwhile then I'd seriously consider it. I just can't justify spending the extra for insignificant extras.
Scoe11, I think you pretty well missed the point if you think the sport package is only for the seats, rims and paddle shifters. As socketz67 pointed out, there are rather significant mechanical differences between the two.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:14 PM
KatyMelrose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
The problem here in Socal is that the dealers know that the sport models are rare finds (there are hundreds of the Journey+Premium lease returns, but few sports), so the markup over the vanilla Journey+Premium is often greater than what the package originally cost new.

I follow this closely because I have been in the market for a clean used G37S, 2010 or newer in the Sub-30k range and there are some slim pickings here in Socal.

I think when the Q50 is fully released and the novelty wears off (December 2013), this will change.
You should look into talking to a broker who can buy at dealer auction and you just pay him a flat fee over that price + shipping (if not a local auction). I looked into that when I was shopping, but I decided it wasn't for me. It's a pretty good deal for people who are willing to let someone else do the shopping (I wasn't). I saw a lot of '10's coming off-lease with low miles in really good condition (4.7-4.8 on 5.0 scale) with all sorts of options beyond Sports Package that seem like they would fit in your price range (a decent number that the broker thought would go anywhere from 26-29k).

I also had a problem with not being able to drive it or look at it in person before I bought it, but I have friends who've gone this route for other cars and all have been really happy. YMMV.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
This is my second G and I actually prefer the look and feel of the non sport. The sport rims are ugly, the seats aren't as nice, and the paddle shifters are - well- plain stupid. Why on earth would Infiniti install them on the steering column instead of the wheel? Plus, it's nearly impossible to find a sport with the wood accents package. If the sport had a bump in hp or something worthwhile then I'd seriously consider it. I just can't justify spending the extra for insignificant extras.
Its a matter of taste, with my 6mt I really like my stock 19" rims, the seats really hold you in place while driving....but a G with wood accent ? no thanks.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:39 PM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I've seen a journey sport with would trim not the 6mt
Old 07-18-2013, 07:17 PM
ilyas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Non sport is very nice, and realistically the only differences you will feel while casually driving are the seats (unless you go manual, of course). The paddle shifters are fun every once in a while. My sedan is sport auto, and my coupe is sport 6mt. My good friend has a journey sedan - so this is speaking from experience.

If I were you, I'd go with the sport. When you DO push the car, you'll feel a difference. Not to say that the journey is no fun - it's still a very capable car.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
the paddle shifters are - well- plain stupid. Why on earth would Infiniti install them on the steering column instead of the wheel?

I have a Porsche with the paddles on the wheel and I hate it. When you are throwing the car around trying to figure out where the paddle went is plain stupid. That is one thing I liked on the G and still like on the Z far better. You always know where the paddle you need is located. Havng it on the wheel you lose them. My Z is far better in this respect. The one good point about the PDK is you really don't need to use the paddles as the tranny shifts better than a person can make it shift.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:41 PM
awightguy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon
I have a Porsche with the paddles on the wheel and I hate it. When you are throwing the car around trying to figure out where the paddle went is plain stupid. That is one thing I liked on the G and still like on the Z far better. You always know where the paddle you need is located. Havng it on the wheel you lose them. My Z is far better in this respect. The one good point about the PDK is you really don't need to use the paddles as the tranny shifts better than a person can make it shift.
Personally, I dont see why people get the Sport with paddles...yes it may have more precise shifting, but is it worth it to give up the feeling of shifting gears and really driving your car? It ruins the experience IMO
Old 07-18-2013, 07:58 PM
cgrizzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I regret buying the non-sport everyday. However, when I see the Athens Blue in the sun, it makes me forget about the sport model. When I was looking to purchase, I couldn't find another AB sport model anywhere near me so I just bit the bullet and bought the non-s.

The problem is I find myself wanting to add the sport package one option at a time.

Last edited by cgrizzle; 07-18-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: s to non s
Old 07-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by cgrizzle
I regret buying the sport everyday. However, when I see the Athens Blue in the sun, it makes me forget about the sport model. When I was looking to purchase, I couldn't find another AB sport model anywhere near me so I just bit the bullet and bought the non-s.

The problem is I find myself wanting to add the sport package one option at a time.
wait, you regret buying the sport or do you mean NOT buying ?
Old 07-18-2013, 08:19 PM
cgrizzle

haha I jumped the gun without proof reading. non sport I mean.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:52 PM
4rnr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really like what the Sport offers except the non vented seats. I have to have the vented seats, I HATE hot leather seats in the summer, its a hard decision, if anyone knows od someone that's installed vented seats, please,,,, point me in that direction, Id love to get a sport but those seats are killing it for me lol
Old 07-18-2013, 11:55 PM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 4rnr
I really like what the Sport offers except the non vented seats. I have to have the vented seats, I HATE hot leather seats in the summer, its a hard decision, if anyone knows od someone that's installed vented seats, please,,,, point me in that direction, Id love to get a sport but those seats are killing it for me lol
Ventilated seats are only on verts, or so I've been led to believe.
The following users liked this post:
4rnr (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 12:25 AM
Samer Serhan

I had no idea it was diff looks wise
any pics, or youtube comparisions?
thanks
Old 07-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Scoe11

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon

Wow. You are the first person I've come across that doesn't prefer the shifters on the wheel.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Scoe11

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Samer Serhan
I had no idea it was diff looks wise
any pics, or youtube comparisions?
thanks

Exactly. I am parked right next to a 2011 coupe sport and the front is identical. The only difference are the wheels and badging.

Quick Reply: Sport package.. anyone regret not getting it?