G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sport package.. anyone regret not getting it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 12:41 AM
boomboom696969

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Never regretted purchasing a G37s Anniversary Edition sedan. Love the aggressive looks, and the performance, in my experience, has been well worth it. Much cheaper than modding it later.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:44 AM
KatyMelrose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought an '08 Sport 2 weeks ago. I messed up - drove the Sport first and fell in love with it. Once I started to realize how difficult it was going to be to find a Sport w/o Nav in good condition that wasn't just off-lease (read: more money than I wanted to pay), I went to drive a Journey to see if I REALLY needed the Sport. I liked the Journey, but I didn't love it. Less than 5 minutes into the test drive, I knew I was only looking for Sports. I could have dealt with the difference in appearance, but the difference in the handling was what really got me.

Short story long, if you really can't get the Sport out of your head, then go drive one and see if it makes a big enough difference to you. And if you're looking used, be prepared for a more cumbersome search. Took me 3 weeks and looking in 2 states before I found mine - but I got everything I wanted and nothing that I didn't.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:44 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
If you're asking about getting inside the light to remove the amber strip, there's DIY threads "painting headlights". You have to remove the lights (after removing your bumper to access the lights), bake them in an oven to soften the seal, strip the covers off the housings, remove what you want (might as well paint them and change the HID lens while you're in there), then bake again to re-soften the seal, add sealant, then reinstall headlight & bumper.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I think you're forgetting the most important question... 6MT or 7AT???
Old 07-18-2013, 11:18 AM
4rnr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Getting the S is much cheaper than trying to piece it together after the fact. Brakes alone are another $1500, the spare tire to clear the BBK is $250. Limited Slip Differential, would probably be well over $500 w/ the labor. Seats, wheels, paddles, sways & springs, pedal covers, bumper, skirts, and the red S etc. would probably cost 2-3x as much as the pkg. price. You should also get better resale w/ an S over a non-S w/ similar equipment.
good to know, Im still learning lol
Old 07-18-2013, 11:21 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 235 Posts
Off the top of my head, the 09-13 Sport package includes important mechanical elements that would cost you a fortune to retrofit after the fact:

Close ratio steering rack
4 piston front and 2 piston rear larger brake calipers and rotors
Paddle Shifters
Nicer pedals (interior)
From 2010 forward, a nicer looking front fascia
VLSD (rear diff)
Performance oriented Springs and Struts/Shocks
Seats with better bolster and thigh support
The jury is still out on whether or not the Spiderman wheels are an improvement, but I personally love the Sport Appearance package 18s and would probably have the dealer swap those out if it were me. In addition, the Sport Appearance Package wheels are not staggered, so I can rotate my tires.

I sure I missed a thing or two, but you see the point. Individually, these elements would cost a fortune to upgrade after the fact.

The problem here in Socal is that the dealers know that the sport models are rare finds (there are hundreds of the Journey+Premium lease returns, but few sports), so the markup over the vanilla Journey+Premium is often greater than what the package originally cost new.

I follow this closely because I have been in the market for a clean used G37S, 2010 or newer in the Sub-30k range and there are some slim pickings here in Socal.

I think when the Q50 is fully released and the novelty wears off (December 2013), this will change.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Machina
Ok I'm for sure going after the sport package. But still no answer on the headlights. Just need to get em all clear. Get rid of the amber strip. How much will that run
Here we go again. Getting rid of front amber lighting is illegal in all 50 States, if that means anything to you.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:13 PM
BLAIR'N G372012

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Checkov your so Neg... SMH

Ive had my Ambers gone a Year now... Not one issue...

To each is their own.... Dive the G like you Stole it... Appreciate it because you Own it... plain and Simple ....
Old 07-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by BLAIR'N G372012
Checkov (sic) your (sic) so Neg... SMH

Ive (sic) had my Ambers gone a Year now... Not one issue...

To each is their own.... Dive (sic) the G like you Stole it... Appreciate it because you Own it... plain and Simple ....
Why is it negative to point out an illegal mod that could eventually cause some trouble for the owner? Just because you’ve not been caught yet doesn’t mean you, or the OP if he follows suit, will never get pulled over for it. I hear the same adolescent rationalizations on other illegal mods and it still is not the best nor safest way to “dive”, as you say, a car.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
The problem here in Socal is that the dealers know that the sport models are rare finds (there are hundreds of the Journey+Premium lease returns, but few sports), so the markup over the vanilla Journey+Premium is often greater than what the package originally cost new
Agree, it took me 2+ months to find my 6mt sport. i got it for a good price but a little more than what I had expected....but hey, it's a "S" and very happy with my G
Old 07-18-2013, 03:35 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
@Chekov, some lessons can't be taught, they must be learned.

Coming from a motorcyclist's perspective, anything we could do to better be seen is worth it -- HID head lamps and loud pipes come to mind. I had both on mine, the hid's were not DOT spec'd. Occasionally some would flash their brights at me. The exhaust was a very loud after market pipe. Loud enough that a conversation could not be had with the bike idling. Rode it through at least a dozen states S/E of IL, never got pulled over for it. Of course, going through small towns, i'd keep the revs low and noise to a minimum. Same if I was near a squad car.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Jsolo,
Your points are quite valid. Yes, one can go a lifetime and never be inconvenienced for an illegal mod, notwithstanding their potential effect on others. But safety devices, including amber lighting, are there for a reason, often stemming from actual fatal accidents (TPMS comes to mind). In this regard, rolling one’s dice for his own vehicle is no guarantee that someone else may someday suffer for the absence of such a device.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Can'tGme

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Amber lights are ugly.
Kevalteam

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts
S..... just for the bbk..... IMO
Scoe11

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is my second G and I actually prefer the look and feel of the non sport. The sport rims are ugly, the seats aren't as nice, and the paddle shifters are - well- plain stupid. Why on earth would Infiniti install them on the steering column instead of the wheel? Plus, it's nearly impossible to find a sport with the wood accents package. If the sport had a bump in hp or something worthwhile then I'd seriously consider it. I just can't justify spending the extra for insignificant extras.
The following users liked this post:
Vic555 (09-24-2013)

Quick Reply: Sport package.. anyone regret not getting it?