Sponsored By:

Uneven Top Speed Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Himalaya
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Uneven Top Speed Exhaust

I put my topspeed exhaust in about 2 weeks ago. At first, the left muffler had a 1mm gap close to touching my IPL rear bumper. Yesterday I was showing a friend and this time, the exhaust was actually touching the bumper! burnt the bumper but only under bumper where you can't see it. How do i fix this? I was about to torch the hanger bracket on the far rear (NOT the one closer to the axle back bolts) and try to bend it down but its a tight space and I wasn't sure if I should stick a torch in that area. I wasn't going to torch the hanger attached to the exhaust, but the one attached on the car.

Ended up not doing anything but what I did for a temporary fix was took a bunch of zip ties, and found a way to bend the bumper a little and stick it on the metal piece behind the rear bumper. The bumper is being flexed slightly right now. I wouldn't want this to be a permanent fix.

So how would I go about fixing this issue?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Himalaya
I put my topspeed exhaust in about 2 weeks ago. At first, the left muffler had a 1mm gap close to touching my IPL rear bumper. Yesterday I was showing a friend and this time, the exhaust was actually touching the bumper! burnt the bumper but only under bumper where you can't see it. How do i fix this? I was about to torch the hanger bracket on the far rear (NOT the one closer to the axle back bolts) and try to bend it down but its a tight space and I wasn't sure if I should stick a torch in that area. I wasn't going to torch the hanger attached to the exhaust, but the one attached on the car.

Ended up not doing anything but what I did for a temporary fix was took a bunch of zip ties, and found a way to bend the bumper a little and stick it on the metal piece behind the rear bumper. The bumper is being flexed slightly right now. I wouldn't want this to be a permanent fix.

So how would I go about fixing this issue?
Not sure about the coupe but the TopSpeed for the sedan has those slide in prongs that go into the rubber hanger bushings, these can usually be bent up or down (in your case you'd bend them up away from the cans). Use an extended socket on a ratchet to get enough torque on the hanger.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:32 AM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Fr my understanding that you need to loosen all the bolts and have someone look at the rear while you tighten it up evenly.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:14 AM
Bota36
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Not sure about the coupe but the TopSpeed for the sedan has those slide in prongs that go into the rubber hanger bushings, these can usually be bent up or down (in your case you'd bend them up away from the cans). Use an extended socket on a ratchet to get enough torque on the hanger.

+1. That's exactly how I made mine even for my Tanabe.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:42 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by John B
Fr my understanding that you need to loosen all the bolts and have someone look at the rear while you tighten it up evenly.
Since his seems to be quite a bit off it would be good to have a helper or just takes a few rounds of bending & reinstalling to get it just right. Might take 2 or 3 rounds.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:46 AM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
My tanabes were slightly off too. Not touching the bumper off, but a little, I just used a pry bar and bent the hangers a little until it was just right. Suppose you could unbolt it too though lol.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 PM
BLAIR'N G372012

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
On my Tanabe I used Washers from Home Depot to space a Gap... my left was higher than the right.. used 3 washers per bolt and fixed the issue... its just like putting Spacers...

As for the damage on the bumper post pics...
Old 07-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Onecleana55G

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I purchased a top speed pro 1 axle back and it to was like 1 inch away from my bumper we tried everything and we couldn't lower the left side (that was the side that was real close to the bumper) so I had two options one was either buy a more expensive name brand exhaust that would hopefully fit better or option two was to cut off my resonators and then replace it with a straight pipe I choose option two because I wanted a meaner sound anyway and when I cut the resonators out that gave me the option to lower the pipes the way I wanted them to be, good luck