G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Purchasing extended warranty, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 11:11 PM
G37ity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info everyone. I went to the dealership and they told me that since my car has never had the 30k maintenance checkup (apparently the 1st owner has never taken it to any infiniti dealership since it was bought) the car has 36k miles, that I have to pay for the 30k maintenance before they can offer me the elite protection plan.

Can you guys PLEASE tell me what prices you paid so I know if I am getting ripped off or not? Thank you so much!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:09 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by G37ity
Hello everyone,

I just bought a 2009 coupe and my warranty is about to expire in 6 months or 12k miles, whichever comes first. I would like some help figuring out if I should purchase an extended warranty. Should I go through infiniti directly? Buy else where? How much am I looking at roughly? Thanks for any help.

My car is not showing any type of problems as if yet (knock on wood) but I would like the peace of mind after the warranty runs out.
I'd say skip it. However, every person's tolerance for disruption is different. I do most of my own maintenance and repairs aren't that big of a deal to me. The car is reliable and most of the consumer rankings bear that out. Certainly the electronics failures could be a problem but thats a gamble your going to need weigh against the price you pay monthly (or lump sum) for the warranty. Remember, extended warranties aren't sold to protect you; there sold to make the insurer money so there already pricing the protection appropriate to the reliability of the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
G37ity (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 02:17 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone. I went to the dealership and they told me that since my car has never had the 30k maintenance checkup (apparently the 1st owner has never taken it to any infiniti dealership since it was bought) the car has 36k miles, that I have to pay for the 30k maintenance before they can offer me the elite protection plan.

Can you guys PLEASE tell me what prices you paid so I know if I am getting ripped off or not? Thank you so much!

Sounds like the dealership is trying to milk more money out of you. How much for the 30k service they're putting on you?
Old 07-12-2013, 02:22 AM
Darkstar752

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Is the car 6MT or an Auto? If it's a 6MT, warranty it 100%. There's a problem with the slave cylinder, which requires the transmission to be dropped, so you can see why you would want that under warranty. If it's an auto you should probably be fine without it.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 AM
solarg37

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
i would skip it, they have so many catches and tricks with those waranties some times,

if your not mechanicaly inclined or hate workings on cars i guess its a good thing

the good side our cars are really easy to work on it and parts are pretty cheap,

the cars are pretty strong when they are stock,

my opinion is to skip it use the money else where.

also i think our cars already has a good powertrain waranty up to 50k?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:38 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by Gio37
....heck, you'll get free swirls while you wait
I think my dealer charges a bit for those, but does throw in the free water-spot etching, and they let those drops fully dry in the scorching summer heat
Old 07-12-2013, 12:38 PM
G37ity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Sounds like the dealership is trying to milk more money out of you. How much for the 30k service they're putting on you?
That's what it sounded like to me too. They were trying to charge me $640 for the 30k service

Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Is the car 6MT or an Auto? If it's a 6MT, warranty it 100%. There's a problem with the slave cylinder, which requires the transmission to be dropped, so you can see why you would want that under warranty. If it's an auto you should probably be fine without it.
Its 7at so phewww on that one. After more googling I contacted Courtney from Scottsdale as that's what tons of people kept saying to do.

I'm not mechanically inclined but I don't have the tools to do everything and I like having the peace of mind that if anything happens I'll be ok
Old 07-14-2013, 11:39 AM
InitialC
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Having used my warranty and having a life philosophy of "**** happens", I'd say get it. I have an 08 Sport Coupe with about 68K. Went on and got the elite extended warranty when I purchased back in 2011. Since I've had the warranty, the following has been replaced under it:
1. Rear Woofers (One had a problem but they replaced the pair)
2. CMC (I told them to do the CSC, but they had to do the CMC first)
3. CSC (This is a known issue for the 6MT)
4. Entire tranny (6th gear synchro went bad, they replaced the entire tranny instead of rebuilding)
5. The relay switch for the clutch to enable the push start (Sorry I forgot the part name, but basically Id push the start button and the car wouldn't even attempt to start, it would just go to "acc or on".

Please keep in mind that there was nothing wrong with my car when i first got it either... Well the CSC may have started showing signs of going out, but I wasn't familiar enough with my car yet to notice. Again, I'd advocate for the "piece of mind", but that doesn't mean you have to pay full price. I didn't.

Last edited by InitialC; 07-14-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: clarifications
Old 07-14-2013, 11:45 AM
InitialC
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
One more thing, almost forgot about the dash. There's a section of the dash around the steering wheel that warps from the sun over time. They swapped that out for me too. As you can see my warranty has paid for itself .
Old 07-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
After more googling I contacted Courtney from Scottsdale as that's what tons of people kept saying to do.
I also got my warranty from Courtney. I think they have the best prices around.
I haven't used it and personally I don't regret getting it.

Plus....it can be transferred to a new owner or it can be canceled at any time for a pro-rated refund (no matter the reason...trading, total loss, etc)

g/l
Old 07-14-2013, 07:27 PM
toughcookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't recommend getting it. i have a '03 g35 that i got at 40k and it has 105k on it now and i NEVER had to fix anything in the car that wasnt caused because of lowering the car (just a axel and bearings). You also have to consider if you plan on doing any modifications to the car it will void the warranty anyway