Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What if...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:16 PM
DeepHouseGuy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IPL 370GT
You can't out shift some of the new technology.
yup *GTR* cough
The following 2 users liked this post by DeepHouseGuy:
IPL 370GT (05-07-2013), Rad_Slinger (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I think what most who cling to manual transmissions will say is that it's not the speed of changing gears or the better fuel mileage of a manual transmission that is the draw. Good automatics exceed them in both categories now. It's the "engagement' or "driver input" or "driving experience" that they prefer. I get that. Up to a point. I like it too. But I prefer a superior product and performance more than I need to have something to keep my right hand busy. A good DCT will make me forget all about rowing my own.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:30 PM
keraxis

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Only one way

The only way I would stay is if we got a duel clutch with launch control like Porsche. That would put our cars in the mid 4 second range stock.

Originally Posted by VinnysInfiniti
What if the new Qclass whether it be sedan or coupe doesnt have 6mt or any mt for that matter?? Will you 6mt guys stay or will you go wherever the stick takes you lol How does everyone feel about this??

Old 05-07-2013, 01:59 PM
XIS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my first several cars were stick all the way up to 2002. Since then, I prefer tiptronic on the Porsche and paddle shifters on the Infiniti and Acura
Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Varjo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You guys can rationalize it all you want, and I agree with what you're saying (in terms of technological progress being good). I'm not commited to a manual for life, but if I'm giving it up, I want something that's actually better. You guys are talking as though the Q50 is going to be a dual clutch setup, but it's not. The 7AT is worse in almost every way than the 6MT. The shifts are muddy (I just drove in a 2013 loner the other day), there is still at least 10 percent WHP power-loss due to the fluid friction in the torque converter (locking doesn't fix this), manual shifts are slow, and the gearbox is kind of dumb (hunts for gears).

So yes, give me progress, I wouldn't complain so much of the only transmission was the one from the GTR, but it's not. They are dropping an arguably superior transmission because it was a lower volume part. I see the business sense, but don't try to dress it up as a technological advance.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:41 PM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Varjo
You guys can rationalize it all you want, and I agree with what you're saying (in terms of technological progress being good). I'm not commited to a manual for life, but if I'm giving it up, I want something that's actually better. You guys are talking as though the Q50 is going to be a dual clutch setup, but it's not. The 7AT is worse in almost every way than the 6MT. The shifts are muddy (I just drove in a 2013 loner the other day), there is still at least 10 percent WHP power-loss due to the fluid friction in the torque converter (locking doesn't fix this), manual shifts are slow, and the gearbox is kind of dumb (hunts for gears).

So yes, give me progress, I wouldn't complain so much of the only transmission was the one from the GTR, but it's not. They are dropping an arguably superior transmission because it was a lower volume part. I see the business sense, but don't try to dress it up as a technological advance.
haha what? 10 percent WHP loss due to fluid friction in the torque converter??
Not sure what "loaner" model you drove. The word "loaner" says enough!

After test driving 7 different G37's. I can honestly tell you the tune is different in the models. The IPL shifted faster and more aggressive than the S. I could feel the lag associated with the S. The IPL shifted very quickly during spirited driving and more so in DS mode. The (tune) is a big factor.

"I wouldn't complain so much of the only transmission was the one from the GTR, but it's not"

A manual transmission would NEVER shift faster than the R35 borg gr6 racing trans.

I'm coming from a two manual 350z's BTW.

No one is trying to dress it up! The auto trans continues to improve each year. That's a fact! If you follow the industry closely you'll see the old school manual is becoming obsolete. That's across the board.

Last edited by IPL 370GT; 05-07-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Bigrez
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with you bud.. Im coming from 3 Manual 350zs as well, one which I still have when I get an itch to drive a Manual sports car. I love my 7at IPL though alot of people complain about the auto trans of this car but for what its worth I think its a good transmission. It is confused at times but gets the job done and does whatever you ask it to. If anyone is interested in buying a 350z go to this link LOL.

Cars for Sale: 2003 Nissan 350Z Track in Walnut, CA 91789: Coupe Details - 342295525 - AutoTrader.com

After test driving 7 different G37's. I can honestly tell you the tune is different in the models. The IPL shifted faster and more aggressive than the S. I could feel the lag associated with the S. The IPL shifted very quickly during spirited driving and more so in DS mode. The (tune) is a big factor.

"I wouldn't complain so much of the only transmission was the one from the GTR, but it's not"

A manual transmission would NEVER shift faster than the R35 borg gr6 racing trans.

No one is trying to dress it up! The auto trans continues to improve each year. That's a fact! If you follow the industry closely you'll see the old school manual is becoming obsolete. That's across the board.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Sco1oter

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
According to the service manager at the local Infiniti dealer, 2013 is the last year for a 6MT in the G/Q coupe.

Bummer!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:51 PM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Are we really compermising and Porsches PDK and Ferarri F1 type trans to Infinitis 7AT ?if Infiniti offered an option even half as great as that I'm sure none of us would complain. It won't even be close.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:59 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Nobody is comparing the Infiniti AT to the transmissions in exotics. You're missing the point. Which is that if true no holds barred performance based sports cars are dumping their MTs right and left, an entry level grand touring sedan shouldn't expect to keep them.

Clearly a lot of owners on this forum don't really understand what the car they have is supposed to be. I think some people's expectation of what the car is, what it should be, and what that should cost are far out of touch with reality.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:10 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Nobody is comparing the Infiniti AT to the transmissions in exotics. You're missing the point. Which is that if true no holds barred performance based sports cars are dumping their MTs right and left, an entry level grand touring sedan shouldn't expect to keep them.

Clearly a lot of owners on this forum don't really understand what the car they have is supposed to be. I think some people's expectation of what the car is, what it should be, and what that should cost are far out of touch with reality.
Their dropping it for something new/better. In this case Infiniti is not. I understand clearly. If they replaced it with something even as good as BMW's SMG id be happy. But their not.

That transmission is the only reason I got a 2012 6MT over an IPL. I wanted the red leather. I did not want Infinitis AT so I passed on the entire car.
If the coupe has this same slugish transmission ill pass too.

Last edited by RYs06MT; 05-08-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Varjo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You don't know what power loss I'm refering to? See here: 2.972 How a Torque Converer Works

In particular:
"A portion of the input power is dissipated in the transmission fluid inside the chamber. The calculations for the power loss are beyond the scope of this explanation and will be referenced as P(loss).

P(loss) = f(friction, viscous effects, other effects….)"

A torque converter is basically a sealed container filled with oil and two "fans" pointed at each other. Modern ones lock in most gears so the two sides turn at the same rate (increases efficiency). Nevertheless, rotating both sides in the transmission fluid is not efficient and wastes a significant amount of power compared to a clutch.

I'm not saying no automatic shifts faster than a manual (I'm sure some do, but it sure as hell isn't the 7AT Infiniti makes). Furthermore, a conventional auto will ALWAYS result in less WHP than a manual due to the above. A proper dual clutch setup is obviously a different story (or an automated single clutch manual... but those have tended to be pretty bad for normal driving).

I don't really get your comment about unrealistic expectations. BMW has a DCT, so does Audi, so does VW.... unless you mean to imply that Infiniti's biggest rival is Volvo... it's not really unrealistic to expect some newer transmission tech.

Edit: And about my "wouldn't complain so much" comment. I would obviously understand if the only transmission was a DCT and I would never in a million years claim that any manual can shift as fast as a DCT, but shifting your own gears is still fun. The g37 isn't an end all be all hypercar like the GTR. If Infiniti went with a DCT, I would still be sad (though not as sad, and I would understand) to see the 6MT go, even if it made sense. But again, this is a little off topic as it isn't the case at all. The 7AT is in no way an upgrade over the 6MT, technologically, fun wise, or performance wise (though I do understand the convenience).

Originally Posted by RYs06MT
Their dropping it for something new/better. In this case Infiniti is not. I understand clearly. If they replaced it with something even as good as BMW's SMG id be happy. But their not.

That transmission is the only reason I got a 2012 6MT over an IPL. I wanted the red leather. I did not want Infinitis AT so I passed on the entire car.
If the coupe has this same slugish transmission ill pass too.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by Black Betty

These cars are dropping the 6MTs because the DCTs in them are incredibly sophisticated and make the car BETTER. Infiniti can't say the same for their 7AT. Furthermore, all of Infiniti's main competitors offer both DCTs and Manuals at the moment (Audi, Porsche, BMW, VW).

Last edited by Varjo; 05-08-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:30 AM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Although I prefer MT to AT in general, I don't really care if an AT can shift faster or more efficiently than I can. To me, driving MT is all about having fun and being in control.

To answer the OP's question, I don't care if the Q60 is MT or not as I plan on driving my G37s into the ground.
The following users liked this post:
VinnysInfiniti (02-27-2015)
Old 05-08-2013, 01:41 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Name:  QClass_zps25665788.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  31.8 KB
Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The coupe will be 6MT for sure! They sell too many manual coupes to discontinue it.

Quick Reply: What if...