Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Roadside Assistance Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Stay Frosty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Roadside Assistance Cost?

Anyone know the approximate cost of having roadside assistance unlock my car and jump start it? I'm out of warranty.

Is there any way I can unlock it myself? To my surprise the mechanical key doesn't even unlock it. I guess the locking system is not so mechanical. Why they would design it that way is beyond me...

Appreciate any advice!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 PM
NJ Torque
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
If under 4/60 its no charge...

Edit, seen your out of warranty... maybe theyll be stupid and not charge you.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:14 PM
jaykellogg

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you get underneath and hook up a battery charger? Plus on the starter and neg on the chassis.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by jaykellogg
Can you get underneath and hook up a battery charger? Plus on the starter and neg on the chassis.
Good idea!!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:05 AM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Does the mechanical key work on the trunk? It should be able to unlock any of the keyholes, that is your fail safe.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Stay Frosty

Originally Posted by jmann
Does the mechanical key work on the trunk? It should be able to unlock any of the keyholes, that is your fail safe.
As far as I know the trunk doesn't have a keyhole. Just the little chrome button on the tail light to pop it open.

The only keyhole I see is on the drivers door and it doesn't work. The lack of resistance tells me that it's not mechanical. Seems like a pretty huge design flaw to me. Are all modern cars like this?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Stay Frosty
As far as I know the trunk doesn't have a keyhole. Just the little chrome button on the tail light to pop it open.

The only keyhole I see is on the drivers door and it doesn't work. The lack of resistance tells me that it's not mechanical. Seems like a pretty huge design flaw to me. Are all modern cars like this?
The key lock is mechanical, using double steel cables.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:03 AM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I guess I never noticed that about the trunk. It sounds like someone may have tried to break into your car at some point and broke the lock cylinder, which would be why that isn't working.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Stay Frosty

There was a quote on another forum where somebody said that the mechanical key unlocks the door by sending a signal to the BCM, according to the FSM. Dunno how truthful that is, but he had the exact same problem that I did and had to get roadside assistance to come.

How hard is it to access the starter motor? If I attach a jump starting unit to it, will that be enough to open the door?
Old 04-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Stay Frosty

Do you think Geico can unlock it? I do have roadside assistance with them on my insurance plan. Or is this a special situation which only Infiniti will know how to deal with?
Old 04-29-2013, 01:05 PM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jaykellogg
I wouldn't try this if I were you... Connecting a direct power source to the starter motor will crank the engine. And a starter motor can draw over 300amps, most battery charges only supply a few amps, thus you will probably blow the battery charger. You want to connect the (+) to a source before the relay for the starter motor, basically as close to the battery as possible in the circuit.
I starter motor is just a motor, if you connect a power to it it will turn, regardless if the car in unlock or key is in place. Rather the car will start is another matter, probably not, the ECU will probably cut fuel and spark if the key was not present.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:27 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Why not call Geico or Roadside Assistance and ask them? Is your car stuck at home? I'm not sure how the G's hood latch is routed. But on a lot of cars you can get to the cable through the fender well on the driver side.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Stay Frosty

Geico took care of it free of charge.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:28 AM
jaykellogg

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hechen507
I wouldn't try this if I were you... Connecting a direct power source to the starter motor will crank the engine. And a starter motor can draw over 300amps, most battery charges only supply a few amps, thus you will probably blow the battery charger. You want to connect the (+) to a source before the relay for the starter motor, basically as close to the battery as possible in the circuit.
I starter motor is just a motor, if you connect a power to it it will turn, regardless if the car in unlock or key is in place. Rather the car will start is another matter, probably not, the ECU will probably cut fuel and spark if the key was not present.
Actually - no. The starter has a heavy wire connected directly to the battery and a "regular" wire connected to the starter relay. If by some chance you connected a + to the wire going to the starter relay, the solenoid would engage, but the starter would not rotate. If you connect to the heavy wire, then I would immediately try the smart key to unlock the door.

Glad you got it open without cost.