G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sprayed my G37 with plasti dip

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:10 PM
AKat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so plastic dip/drip whatever the heck it is.. is basically a spray on rubber??
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:49 AM
egmmbah

Thank you to the few that are supportive the rest sound like a bunch of haters. . . I went to the local car spot last night and EVERYONE thought it was paint. . . Its easy to do, inexpensive, I can change the color whenever I want, comes off and preserves my oem paint and that sounds like a bad idea to all of you?!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Blodngutz

It's your car! you need not worry about what others think of it. If it's something you like, then be proud of the work & effort you put into it.
I'm not a fan of the color from the pic but I'm openminded to the fact that It could look a lot different up close.
Good on you for trying something different.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:05 PM
dborakove

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think it came out great! I like the color a lot...maybe it is because I love oatmeal
Old 04-18-2013, 02:37 PM
evo8xg37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want to say this color came out really nice. Good job
Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
Originally Posted by egmmbah
Thank you to the few that are supportive the rest sound like a bunch of haters. . . I went to the local car spot last night and EVERYONE thought it was paint. . . Its easy to do, inexpensive, I can change the color whenever I want, comes off and preserves my oem paint and that sounds like a bad idea to all of you?!
You shouldn't post pics and start a thread if you can't handle the criticism
The following 4 users liked this post by RaulGCustom:
jon23 (04-21-2013), Rad_Slinger (04-19-2013), RaulMindsHisOwn (07-09-2013), SwissCheeseHead (04-19-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Himalaya
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am one who thinks plasti dip is bad and good at the same time. i think its good for the same reasons you gave but I had some bad experience where since I sprayed it thin, it was super hard to take off. In fact, after a year and a half, it hardened and i tried to use goo gone on it. apparently I put too much goo gone and the plasti dip became a huge mess. When I was taking plasti dip off my wheels, there were curves where I sprayed a thin layer of dip and again it was hard to take off but putting a very small amount of goo gone on it and letting it sit over night made the plasti dip soft enough to take off and not messy.

you may be thinking its my fault for putting on a thin layer of dip but the more thicker the layers of plasti dip you put on the rougher it gets. I did use a rattle can instead of a gun but still.

If I would ever put plasti dip on the exterior of my car, i would only keep it on for about 6 months max. I live in NJ and theres freezing cold and really hot temps here so it could be the weather messing with the properties of the dip.

Would I ever dip my car though is the question? Yes I would. to matte black, matte orange, or matte purple. Those are the only colors i really like which are matte on the G37. I personally wouldn't go for the color you did but its your car and you can do what people like. Other people's opinions dont matter.

For those who are really against plasti dip. I agree it isn't real paint but it gives a REVERSIBLE finish which is why people spray it on. No one puts plasti dip on their car for a permanent finish. If the OP painted his car this color and did not like it, he would be out a lot more money than what he paid to get this done.

@egmmbah, I would either take the chrome off your front emblem so it matches the chrome on you ipl fog trim, or what I did, was make the ipl fog trim matte black which would give your car a much more aggressive look.

Last edited by Himalaya; 04-18-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Trininav

Lmao.. oatmeal.. This was entertaining. Nevertheless quality looks good. would have to see it in person.

I agree with making the grill another color.. or else it does look like lazy man spray it all syndrome.. might as well do the windshield.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 PM
egmmbah

Originally Posted by Trininav
Lmao.. oatmeal.. This was entertaining. Nevertheless quality looks good. would have to see it in person.

I agree with making the grill another color.. or else it does look like lazy man spray it all syndrome.. might as well do the windshield.
LoL @Nav. . . I'll swing by your house tomorrow and you can tell me what you think
Old 04-20-2013, 10:37 PM
Enlight
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting finish. How long did it take you to complete the car start to finish?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:00 PM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
Looks like it was covered in jizz....least color is close.
Horse jizz. Dude drank that **** on Jacka$$ and the color was identical.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:24 AM
egmmbah

Only took a few hours start to finish. . .
Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Yan141

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Yup preserved your oem paint from swirling.
I thought about this. Where did you get the paint?
Who did your intake?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:17 AM
WhiteG_

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not a huge fan of the color, but to each his own.

As for the haters, can't please everyone bro. No matter what mod you do, there is bound to be haters. I like the idea of being able to change the finish on a whim. Nice work and enjoy! Spray looks pro in the pics!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 AM
VaderK52

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
I can't knock it no matter if it's not my taste but I can appreciate the work put forth. Good job bruh

Quick Reply: Sprayed my G37 with plasti dip