Sponsored By:

Airconditioner not cooling at all

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 AM
sukumarpant

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Airconditioner not cooling at all

Hello everyone,

My AC hasn't been working properly. I don't if the compressor has leaked out or if the filter is clogged. I haven't been using my AC at all since a long time. Now that it is getting warmer, I started using it to find that it hasn't been working properly.

Is there a way I can access the filter without using specialized tools? My 50,000 mile service is coming up (still 1100 miles left and I don't drive a lot so about 2 months easy) and I will have the compressor checked out but until then, I want to see if the filter is clogged and clean/replace it myself.

Thanks for all your help!!!
S
Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 AM
TeeItHi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cai?

Do you have CAI? During install of Stillen Gen3 intake (or others) could have damaged your a/c line and cuz a leak...
Old 04-09-2013, 10:33 AM
BLAIR'N G372012

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
The Filter wont block that much air if dirty. You'll still feel the coldness just won't let the air flow freely like norm.
If you have a Gen 3 like Tee said you could've damaged your lines if you didnt wrap them.
There was another member the other day traveling from FL to CA that had an issue as well...
Search for that thred and see what happened to him.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:11 PM
sukumarpant

I do not have a CAI. Completely stock.

BLAIR'N G372012, I feel slight coldness in the air that is flowing out of the vents but after a while it gets uncomfortably stuffy inside the vehicle. This is when I have it set to circulate the air inside the cabin and not to get the fresh air but it never was like this.

I saw the thread that a user had posted about the AC suddenly stopping to function. I realized from that thread that I should check the fuse too? I'm not sure if I should because the AC controls (lights and functioning like increase/decrease fan speed etc) work. I would imagine that if the fuse was blown, these wouldn't work too. I could be absolutely wrong about this though. I'm not sure.

I'm also not sure how to access the fuse box or the air filter. Mine is a 2009 coupe. The only reason I want to check the air filter is because I live in GA and the Pollen count is at 2000+ as of today and spring JUST started.

Thanks for all your help folks.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:59 PM
sukumarpant

Finally decided to take her to the Pep Boys close to my place to get the AC problem fixed. I went there and asked them if they could do it at that time and they said that the AC techs leave at 5pm and asked me to come in before 5. So I'm taking her there this Friday.

They however would absolutely not tell me what it would cost me if the refrigerant needs to be filled in. They kept of telling me that it will cost me about $50 for diagnosing the problem. Any idea on how much it will end up costing for a refill?
Old 04-17-2013, 02:30 PM
arp408

Aren't you still under the basic warranty by any chance?
Old 04-17-2013, 03:10 PM
sukumarpant

Yes. I'm still under the warranty.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by sukumarpant
Yes. I'm still under the warranty.
Take it to the dealer ..... I would never ever let Pep Boys touch my car. If you are that low on refrigerant, there is a reason.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:33 PM
sukumarpant

Thank you. I think you are right. I will take it to the dealership.
Will this be covered by warranty though? Just wanted to check if it would be, thats all.
Also, Pep boys is that bad? This is my first car, so I don't know much about the repair shops and all that.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:59 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Pep Boys, Sears, Jiffy Lube ..... most of the chain places are crap-o-la. Warranty should cover it.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:03 PM
sukumarpant

Okay. Thank you very much!

I just spoke to someone in my office and he tells me that AC jobs can run into 800-1000 range. Hopefully I'm still under warranty and this will be covered if I am indeed under warranty. I'll have to go home and check if I still am.

Thanks everyone for all your help.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:20 PM
sukumarpant

Dropped off the car at the dealership past Friday (4/19) and asked the guy if it would be covered under warranty. The guy said yes it would be. I just spoke to them and they told me that the compressor had failed. Now, I don't know how much this repair would actually cost but I'm guessing its not cheap so, I'm especially very grateful to arp408 for asking if I was still under warranty because I was not thinking about it at all.

Also, I don't know if folks here know this but I'm going to throw it out there that infiniti warranty is applicable from the date of purchase. If you buy used, some manufacturers say that the warranty for the second owner is applicable from the time of manufacture but with infiniti that is not the case. This was told to me by my colleague at work so don't quote me on it. If someone could verify that, it would be great.

Is it worth purchasing extended warranty?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:05 PM
g37flamer

it depends how much it is going to cost you
Old 05-06-2013, 02:48 PM
sukumarpant

Turned out to be a bad compressor. Apparently was completely seized up. Was replaced under warranty.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:35 AM
arp408

You're welcome bro! Glad I could help!

Originally Posted by sukumarpant
Dropped off the car at the dealership past Friday (4/19) and asked the guy if it would be covered under warranty. The guy said yes it would be. I just spoke to them and they told me that the compressor had failed. Now, I don't know how much this repair would actually cost but I'm guessing its not cheap so, I'm especially very grateful to arp408 for asking if I was still under warranty because I was not thinking about it at all.

Also, I don't know if folks here know this but I'm going to throw it out there that infiniti warranty is applicable from the date of purchase. If you buy used, some manufacturers say that the warranty for the second owner is applicable from the time of manufacture but with infiniti that is not the case. This was told to me by my colleague at work so don't quote me on it. If someone could verify that, it would be great.

Is it worth purchasing extended warranty?

Quick Reply: Airconditioner not cooling at all