Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

A/C stopped cooling, tried R134 already

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 02:14 AM
Jimmy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C stopped cooling, tried R134 already

Im driving my G from FL to Cali and suddenly lost cold air from the AC. Stopped at wal mart, thinking it just needs recharged, to get a can of R134. Well the first can kinda leaked everywhere as I was putting it in, so I took it back and exchanged for another can... put that in and still nothing. Im pretty sure it went in. Checked to see if there was any pressure in the lines, didn't hear any refrigerant coming out. I read the instructions 100 times, pretty sure Im doing this right. Anyone out there know what this could be? Im taking it to infiniti that ive never been to in the morning.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:55 AM
Skyline6mt
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Any chance you have stillen gen 3s?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Jimmy1

car is completely stock. i was going a steady 90mph through texas for about 300 miles when it went out. can high rpm over extended period damage the compressor?
Old 04-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy1
car is completely stock. i was going a steady 90mph through texas for about 300 miles when it went out. can high rpm over extended period damage the compressor?
I-10 west of San Antonio is pretty awesome isn't it? Except for the fact that its a desolate wasteland with nothing to see. But flying down the interstate at 90 without worrying about police is awesome.

I'm not sure about your AC but check fuses. Dumping refrigerant into it is not the right thing to do. That is very likely not the problem, a leak is usually gradual, not that sudden. The problem you may now have is way too much refrigerant in the system which can over pressure it and damage the compressor or other components. Did you check the pressure with a gauge before or after adding the R134? Did it make any noise when it stopped cooling? Is the compressor cycling on and off when you turn the system on and off? Is the warm air blowing out of the vents moist or dry? Is it as warm as the outside temperature or cooler?
Old 04-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Jimmy1

When I connect the r134 can to the low end line, the gauge says zero pressure until I press the button to add more. When I push in the valve to the low end, nothing comes out. Dry air comes out of the vents, and the compressor is not kicking on at all.

I just realized that service departments arent open on weekends. Is that true for all infiniti dealers?

Oh and I did end up getting pulled over... could have easily outran him. Im sure he didnt have any backup for miles. But I was a good boy and pulled over.. haha
Old 04-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy1
When I connect the r134 can to the low end line, the gauge says zero pressure until I press the button to add more. When I push in the valve to the low end, nothing comes out. Dry air comes out of the vents, and the compressor is not kicking on at all.

I just realized that service departments arent open on weekends. Is that true for all infiniti dealers?

Oh and I did end up getting pulled over... could have easily outran him. Im sure he didnt have any backup for miles. But I was a good boy and pulled over.. haha
The gauge can't read system pressure until its open so that's normal. When you say you push in the valve on the low pressure side, are you depressing the needle valve inside the fitting with something like a screwdriver or pen? (BTW, you shouldn't do that) No pressure or vapor or liquid is released at all? While the system's running is the metal part of the low pressure hose very cold and covered in condensation?

And running from cops on I-10 in Texas is a very, very bad idea. Where are you going to run to? It goes on forever and he can simply call miles ahead of you if needed. It happens all the time. It's a major drug trafficking corridor and you can best believe that Texas DPS troopers and Rangers would have had you on the side of the highway spread eagle doing a body cavity search before you know it. They might not have been using their hands either.

Many dealership service departments are open on Saturday but not Sunday. In Texas they're only allowed to operate 6 days a week so most close on Sunday rather than Saturday. My first guess us that you've got some part of the system with a massive leak, like a busted hose or blown O-ring or something.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:36 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Did you check the fuse for the compressor as advised above?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:37 AM
Jimmy1

ok guys, here is what infiniti said. the compressor probably seized and the hose that connects to it popped off and was loose. didnt hear any noise when it happened. and if it seized wouldnt the belt was been squeeling? this should be covered under warranty hopefully.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:33 AM
Simba989

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
This might seem obvious but your serpentine belts aren't torn or anything right?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Jimmy1

thanks guys for all the replies, but to follow up on this thread. When I got to LA i took my car to inifiniti and they replaced the compressor as the lines had actually blown out off of it. the only thing i can think of that happened here is when i was doing a steady 100+ mph through texas to get here, maybe the high rpms for so long arent good for the compressor? who knows, all i know is that it was covered under warranty